New matte finish Mercedes paint....DO NOT POLISH!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 99monguse, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

I am a parts adviser for Volvo and Mercedes and I just was in a class concerning the new Mercedes matte finish paint. You CAN NOT polish or wax this paint or the car HAS to have another coat of clear applied.

2. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I knew you can't polish matte paint, but I've always wondered how DO you remove scratches?

3. Lito

Lito Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Theres always SV Opaque Cleaner and Wax

4. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

Who WANTS matte paint anyways nowadays? Murdered out cars are "sooo" 2004...

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Doesnt remove any defects. Lightly cleans and protects, it does work beautifully though I just finished a car with it and it does make a difference.

6. CG6Lemon

CG6Lemon New Member

x2. RIP "murdered out".

7. 99monguse

You CAN'T! If there's a blemish on a panel or a panel does get polished or waxed it MUST be RE-SPRAYED with clear-coat. There is NO correcting this paint! You can't touch up a panel either, no blending at a bodyshop either, the ENTIRE panel HAS to have clear re-applied. DO NOT attempt top polish or wax this paint or you will be taking it to a certified Mercedes center for refinishing.

8. HouseofShine

HouseofShine Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Which model(s) have this paint?

9. AZN_C300

AZN_C300 Birth of a Detailer

well.... matte doesn't mean murdered.....

My current favorite matte color...
    [​IMG]

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

matte paint aka "shrink wrap" is just so plain stupid...

11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

12. Bmer89

I work at a Mercedes and I'm glad I haven't come across this paint yet lol I doubt the other two detailers have even heard of Swissvax, let alone a knowing a matte finish wax even exists...

It's basically impossible to keep an entire car scratch free for very long at all, so why have a car you have to repaint every time you drive it?? Stupid.

13. 99monguse

Mercedes Magno Matte Paint is the same color coat as any gloss finished paint, the MATTE finish is caused by the clear coat. If you work at a Mercedes dealership you should be certified by Mercedes and you would have been involved in the SPMT408 instruction course called "MAGNO MATTE PAINT: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (SPMT408)".

14. 99monguse

15. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

First off the link is bad b/c it has an extra "-" at the end.

16. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

The Swissvax Opaque system like a few others have mentioned IS designed for Matte Clear Coats. It was originally developed for Lamborghini when they introduced their Matte colours, this opaque system can be used on Mercedes, BMW, Harley Davidson and any other matte paint finish or matte vinyl.

17. Bmer89

I'm not certified in anything lol this dealership's priority on detailing equipment/products/training is pretty low unfortunately. I'll have to ask my service manager about it though, the more I know about the paint I'm working on, the better IMO. But to them it costs money, and they don't like that lol

18. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

Agreed! :thumbup:

19. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

You could always use Opti-Coat as a clear coat(ing)without the need to re-spray a clear coat paint

20. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

As stated OptiCoat does not and should not be relied upon to fill or conceal or cover defects.

..as such you probably could not just opticoat a blemish on matte clear.