New D90 - what's the best lens for closeup?

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by cramps, Sep 25, 2009.

1. cramps

cramps Virgin Detailer

Hi just picked up my new D90 and was wondering what you guys thought about the best lens for close up? Nikon is soooo expensive was tempted to go for Tamron - anybody had any experience of the Tamron 90 macro?

2. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I don't know too much about glass for Nikons as I'm a recent convert from Canon -- but I DO know the universal rule of buying lenses is this. You get what you pay for, no if, ands or buts about it.

3. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Congrats on the D90. It is a great camera - I have one too.

Choosing a body and a lens are independent decisions. The Tamrom received great reviews from online places like slrgear.com. I am waiting for reviews on the 17-50 F2.8 with Vibratiion compensation for my standard lens.

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Get yourself some nice Tokina lenses!

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

BTW, how close up do you want to get?

6. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I hear the Tamron 90 macro is very good. The very best is probably the 100mm 2.8 macro from nikon. The 60mm isn't long enough to capture the very small things.

7. cramps

cramps Virgin Detailer

Hi guys thank you. Yes as Lifemal says I will ultimately get what I pay for! I was hoping to get as close as 4-4 cm (is that too close for some lenses to capture some of the alloy work). Never heard of Tokina lenses P1et, I will have a little look online. Thankyou for the replies

8. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

i heard good things about the Tamron 90..I have the 17-50 f/2.8...love it..oh yea i have the D90 also..haha

man that thing is sure an upgrade from my d70..thanks to kenrockwell..i didnt jump on the d300..the d90 suits me well..

have u shot with the 50 1.4? or even the 1.8 should give you some nice bokeh.

btw tokina makes one of the baddest wide angle lenses..that 11-16 (which ive shot before) is pretty darn amazing..

9. cramps

cramps Virgin Detailer

I had no idea about the wide angle tokina lens - I know Nokia brand is fab but :sorry: have to think about my expenditure this year!!
    Glad to hear good things about the D90 also....

10. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have my eyes on the new 17-50 F2.8 Tamron VR lens. I am waiting for the reviews since it is a different construction. I had the perfect use last weekend.

I went to a museum last weekend and they did not allow flash (or tripods if I had one) with me) so I was shooting my D90 with the 18-105 at ISO 1600 (the lighting was poor) to get shots around F4-F5.6 (wanted some depth of field) at 1/15 to 1/30 sec. The pics game out better than expected.

As expected, the noise looks more like grain than the usual color blotchiness you see with most other cameras.

11. SpecC

SpecC Wax on..Wax off

I have the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. It's pretty damn wide after you've been shooting 18-whatever. I would say if you really are going for a pure wide angle lens, spend the extra dough and get the 11-16.