New car Prep, Help needed..

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by denobd, Dec 18, 2012.

1. denobd

denobd Virgin Detailer

Afternoon everyone.... I am still pretty new to detailing and the forum so i am here to ask the help of some of you guys that have been in the game for a while. a friend of mine saw how i detailed my car and he just bought a new challenger and he wants me to do a new car prep on it. i went to check the car out and it is in good shape. just a few minor swirls and scratches. but what i noticed is he has the rally strips down the center from back to front and they seem to be some kind of vinyl sticker. i thought they would be painted on. but anyway they seem to have what appear to be swirls on the and i was just wonder if any of you guys have run into this and if so how did you go about correcting it. any help would be appreciated.

2. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

I've done a blue Mustang with white vinyl rally stripes and a light green Mustang that had black vinyl rally stripes. They've been the only cars I've done that have had the big wide stripes. Big enough to were I thought that would need a seperate action plan. I used Duragloss 501 on the vinyl stripes. It did a very good job of cleaning the staining out fo the vinyl, especially with the white. The waterspots on the black vinyl were removed. The marring was light to begin with but the mild abrasives in the DG501 were plenty enough to leave the vinyl surface smooth. The choice of pad here would help if it is not removing the marring. Trying a more aggresive pad instead of more agressive polish to preserve the film.

The DG501 will provide excellent protection too, but I topped it with whatever sealant that I used on the paint.

3. denobd

denobd Virgin Detailer

awesome, good info. thank you..