New Car -Lots of Work to be Done

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by JSF721, Jun 1, 2012.

1. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

So yesterday was a big day. We picked up a new 2012 Subaru Legacy. I told the dealer we wanted to take the car “cosmetically” un-prepped as we did not want any dealer installed damage. After being assured that they don’t damage cars, I asked my salesman how many buckets they use to wash the cars? He said what? I said, I will not accept this car without the plastic on the car. The sales manager told me no problem but if I got home and there was damaged “concealed”, They could not be responsible. I understood and we agreed that they would remove the plastic and that is it. I don't know why dealers find it so bizare-I can't be the only one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would show up, inspect the car Wednesday to check the car out and went back to accept delivery Thursday after work. We arrived Wednesday; checked out the car, which still had plastic and it was removed. All looked good but it was very dusty (Understandably). I showed up Thursday with my 1 Litter pump up sprayer of ONR, several MF towels and a fully charged Brinkman. Before doing the paperwork I went out and check out the car.  They had sprayed tire shine all over the tires so thick and inconsistently it was a mess. I wiped off all I could and trashed a perfectly good MF towel. I did not want it to sling all the way home. All in all the dealer did not damage the car from what I can see so I am happy!
    I ONR-ed the car and it looked so much better after that. I was just looking to make sure there was no damage more than detail the car on site. Lots of tape and adhesive remained.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wheels were dusty but not too bad.
    [​IMG]
    It got dark so here are some shots from the AM of my handy work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have got some work planned for this car over the weekend. I hope the weather cooperates!

Sorry for all iPhone pictures.

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Looks good! Congrats on the new car, I commend you for the process you took to ensure it was relatively untouched prior to delivery.

3. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Thanks, I hate polishing so much that I would rather go through the other steps to make it un-necessary at this point. Eventually it has to be done. Hoping to get into one of Phil and Dave's classes before I polish again- PHIL----Hint June 30th ! LOL

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Congrats on the new car. Nice work ensuring the dealership didn't destroy it before you even made it home...

5. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

congrats on the car purchase. it is an exciting time whenever buying a new vehicle.

using the pressurized sprayer for the ONR is a good way to cover a large area without a bucket and mitt...hehe

6. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Congrats on the new ride!

I'll probably never buy a new car but I would take the exat steps you did to ensure no one roughed it up!

7. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

8. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I told my client to do the same thing you did, but he said he "forgot"....anyways, $1800 later....lmao

The dealer payed for it though so it was all good. You were smart!

9. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I was quite amazed at how scratched a car with 12 miles on it had....more RIDS everywhere than swirls.....guess tires dont have to roll for brushes to sweep over the paint.

10. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Thanks, believe me if given the opportunity they would have !

11. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I generally use a Kwazar Pump Up for ONR. It gives me great control and I pre soak the pannel prior to an ONR wash in the winter. Loosens the crust. This new car was also pretty crusty when we picked it up. Wiped it with Euro Shags and then completed the wipe doen with the blue towels I got from DD.

12. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

The big problem is outside of these forums people dont see marring. I can tell you this dealer would not have shelled out 1800 for a detail. i just made an efforrt to keep it from getting damaged. Easier in the long run.

13. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

After seeing the wash bay at the Subaru dealer, the Acura Dealewr and the Infiniti dealer the main problem is that 1 bucket of soap is used all day with the washed oil rags that most likely have metal filings and nonsense trapped in them. Then a well meaning buy scrubs your vehicle. If your the 10th wash of the day, your car is most lilely getting a mud bath! Someone should school these guys. In the long run its cheaper than fixing and appologizing.

14. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

yeah i never understood this, does the wash jockey not see the dirt in the bucket? lol...i mean common sense is NOT so common after all, but if your original bucket was whatever colour the soap is at the beginning of the day, and it is brown after 1 wash...does it not trigger something in your head?

oh, boy.

15. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Jedi Nuba

Nice car, glad they didn't get their hands on it.

16. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

Thanks