New car delivery: vinyl removal question

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by krshultz, Nov 19, 2009.

1. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Alright DB, I need your help.

I've got a friend of mine who is taking delivery of a brand new, 2010 Mazdaspeed3 tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like he's lucked into a dealer who "gets it" as well - when he requested that they not wash the car before delivery, the sales manager asked him if he wanted the shipping plastic removed, or left on.

So, that's my question. Which does he want? I'm leaning towards having them leave the plastic on, but I've never removed the stuff before, so I don't know what kind of adhesive is holding it on, or any other surprises to expect.

What say you all?

--Karl

2. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

its not really adhesive, its more like static, there wont be any residue left on the paint but be gentle on it. the less the dealership touches the car the better!

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Since being a service manager at a dealership for years I can help you with this Karl-lol. You just peel a little piece up and pull it off. It will have some very light residue because it does have adhesive on it. It might rip on you but just pull up on another section and pull away.

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

sounds like he did luck out.

nice car too. what color?

5. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

This is too funny, See, when Bowie (my buddy) asked me if I knew anything about the shipping vinyl and its removal, my response was "yeah, I think I know some guys who can help." :lol:

Anyway...

Yeah, when he told me they were willing to leave the vinyl on it, I was pretty amazed. Anyway, it's called "Black Mica." Like this one (assuming this link from the Mazda USA site works):

2010 MAZDASPEED3 Exterior on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He's a fellow racer, and through Mazda's motorsports program, gets "S-Plan" pricing, which is basically cost. Brand new car at cost, no negotiation, no hassles. Pretty cool.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Pretty much like Rocket said, peal it section by section...there will be some residue left but nothing a little citrus was, APC foam down will not take care of, if some reason some bits re harder clay will work s well.

Surprised they letting the shipping vinyl stay on, most places will not so they can look at the paint at least and will give the customer the car after they take it off but not touch it after they remove the plastic.

7. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'll tell him that if there's any residue left, to try first with some regular car soap, then with some MS Super Green Stuff. He's down in Atlanta, and I left him some supplies last time I was down there, but don't remember exactly what. I know he's got at least one or two Vroom drying towels too.

I guess a Dawn wash should work too, I'll tell him that. (Or he'll just read it in this thread :lol: )

That's a good point Ankeet. Perhaps I should tell him to take the vinyl off at the dealer. If they're willing to let him take it home with the vinyl on it, I'm sure they'll take it off and then not touch the paint at all.

He's got half a bottle of Werkstat AJT that I left with him, so he can get off to a good start with it. :)

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

If the customer requests to do it themselves most dealerships will let the customer take deliver with the plastic on it.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Yes, it should just peel off with no issues. My brother drove his last GTi off the lot with everything on it, including those cool white plastic wheel covers. We also took delivery of our Toyota Sienna with all the plastic intact. We told the sales guy if we showed up to a dealer prepped van, we wouldn't take it. The only residue we encountered was along the edges where the dirt had kinda stuck to it. It all just washed off.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

The nice ones at least, when my sister was looking around for the new Mazda 6 I asked if she could just get the car with the wrapping and I would take care of the rest and they said it was apart of PDI and could not sign off the car if they did not inspect the paint or what not. Like most things dealing with dealers YMMV.

Karl, I have no doubt you left him with enough knowledge to take care of his new car, haha.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I would have told them they can keep the car and the dealer down the street is willing to let me do it. I bet you they would have left the plastic on the car. I have been doing this way too long and know they would have given in. I will be honest with you I have never seen anyone check the paint during a PDI unless there is obvious damage. The techs do not even peel the plastic off. It goes to clean up, a bunch of dealership hacks peel it off, wipe it down, wash it and quickly wax it and ship it up front for the new customer.

12. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

ha, trust me I know they dont check during PDI...only problem was this was when the new body style Mazda 6 first came out this year and was the only one around so ended up they just took the plastic off and I took it over from there when she got it home.

Example, the GTIs have blocks in the front springs that are rubber for shipping, guessing most cars do, well ALOT of people on GTI forum still had them in the suspension...oh well.

13. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

is it just me?
    i know the dealer might be the one jacking up the paint but i would want to pull it off my self before i sign the papers just to be sure there isn't a mess under there.

14. BimmerSean

BimmerSean Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I would take the plastic off at the dealership or have them take it off in front of you...What if there is a flaw under it or a scratch...Once you drive off the lot, you lose any leverage if there is any damage to the paint...

Sean......

15. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Hmm, when I purchased my 2010 Blue Ribbon Toyota Camry, it was fresh off the truck with the plastics still on it. While we took it for a test drive, the plastic made the entire car whistle like a train at 40mph. Now, if your friend is down to drive it while it sounds like a train, assuming it does of course, then I say leave the plastic on it. Otherwise, just remove it on the dealership lot like I did :thumb:

16. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Hey Karl, you should be fine removing the vinyl protection. I did it when I was up in Canada for Subaru and in Monterey & Atlanta for VW. The stuff comes off really easy and if there is some adhesive left over, it's nothing that an APC or 3M Adhesive Remover can't take off. Good luck.

17. RacerBowie

RacerBowie Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'm going to have him leave it on there and then I'll peel it off at the dealer before signing everything. That way I'll have the best of both worlds. Oh, and the color is actually "Liquid Silver Metallic." There's no way I'll ever keep Black clean enough to keep me happy!

Next time Karl comes to visit I'm sure he'll be doing one of his patented "detail and document" jobs on it.

As to the shipping blocks (and Karl will love this) I have for years heard the story of the Honda salesman that "bought" a brand new s2000 during a test drive after he stuffed it on an exit ramp... the shipping blocks were still there and the spring rates were a touch unforgiving.

18. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

A-ha. I couldn't decide which color it was going to be, since we'd talked about a "dark silver," and the pictures on the Mazda site aren't very helpful. Make sure you check for spring blocks before you take that thing down the back roads that lead to your house. :lol:

I can't wait to see this thing. And no, I don't want to drive it.