New Camrara Help

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by agpatel, Dec 20, 2012.

1. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Ok so I have been looking to pick up a new camera. Research just has my head spinning. I thought about a DSLR then went away to a fixed lens (Something like Canon SX40 or Panasonic FX200) or a P&S like Canon S100 or a DSLR D3200 and I am just where I started.

I am getting around $350-400 for a new cam for xmas and can add little if needed but like to stay around that price range. Pictures will be primary outdoor scenery, people, cars, and also indoor. Med light conditions for indoor and possibly some low-light but not too much.

What are some suggestions for what some of you guys use or would get?

2. cnut

cnut DB Forum Supporter

Bump! I'm in the same boat as you. I just want a quality camera that isn't a dslr.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Lets start with the basics...its c a m e r a , not camrara.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

:( *FAIL* I know I know...I was typing this and on a call from work at the same time and yeah...maybe that is why all my searches are not coming out right :/

So maybe now I will get a DSLR... :(

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Get a DSLR Ankeet, well worth it in the end. So much fun too. Its like detailing, you're going to start off small and admit that you'll never invest more money in cameras, then all of the sudden you want a DSLR and nice lenses. Photography is an addiction much the same. Go for an entry level DSLR and don't look back. You can get a Canon T3i for around $500 I think, not sure if thats just budy or with kit. I have one and I love it.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

DSLR wise I was looking at D3200. Stick with the kit lens and maybe a 50mm fixed for walk around shooting...maybe some detailing pics with it also. Hmm....there goes my xmas bonus haha...Have few more days to decide what I want.

7. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

For around 600 you have a canon T3i or A Nikon 3200 both with 18-55 kit lenses

8. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

If you go Canon you get do their Canon Loyalty Program and get a discount. Basically if you have an old canon camera (broken or working), you send it in and you get a discount on a refurbished camera. I did that with my 5D MKII.

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Kit lens will be all you need if you learn to shoot properly. Don't get sucked into thinking you "need" that $1500 lens.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Trust me I will be sticking with the kit lens for some time and playing around with some lenses from friends. I will NOT do what I did with wax's as they are significantly cheaper haha.

11. jlt23

jlt23 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Actually the lens make a bigger difference than the body and that's why lenses keep their value and bodies don't. It really depends on what you want to do creativity wise. The kit lens will usually not not have the larger aperture that will give you the shallower depth field.

12. Charliemkv

Charliemkv Virgin Detailer

A D3200 is a good choice, i have a D5100 and other then the 3200 having more Mp they're really close to each other.

13. RisingBlueGolf

RisingBlueGolf Virgin Detailer

I just purchased a Nikon D3100 yesterday and it has been glued to my hands since! So much fun taking pictures of random things in my house playing with different aperture settings...

This is my first DSLR and really bought it for my upcoming trip to St. John in May.

I've learned a lot about it so far but there is so much more to learn... Just what I needed... another hobby... Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have loved my D5100 so far and have a few lenses and yes it can get expensive. There are many good videos that I watched on how to use it and what not but the best advice i was given was just to go out and take pictures and experiment with it.

15. joffems

joffems Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Congrats.

Not sure if you've already come across this, but you may find it helpful. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100/users-guide/index.htm

16. RisingBlueGolf

RisingBlueGolf Virgin Detailer

Haven't seen that, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD