never happened this bad before?!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Ian, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

First off sorry no pics.
    So I was going to detail my buddies Subaru WRX wagon black, I washed, dryed, clay bared the whole car. My buddy is usually pretty good about keeping his car really clean, but since he doesn't have a place to do a full job over the winter it had taken a little bit of winter abuse. So I diecide to try out my new Menzerna S203, I started on the hood and holy crap what just happened! It instantly caked up and it was like the paint soaked it up!? now I have the speed right on my Makita and I was using DD uber green foam pad. So I try using a DD orange pad with SIP, same thing, then I try a wool pad with 3M compound to just cut what ever is on the hood and that helped a little but when I went back to the polish the same thing happened. I had to use my PC with a yellow DD pad and SIP, followed by a green pad with the S203 and even that was having some problems but I got it. So isaid screw the rest of the car and used Swissvax cleaner fluid and Concorso and called it a day.

So my question is what the hell happened! Why did all the polish's I used cake up instantly and become really really hard to wipe off? It looked like a cloudy haze after wiping the polish off, for what actually came off. Now I know my buddy use's Meguire's products, could there of been something on the car to cause this? I have done a bunch of cars before with the same steps and product with no problem this was a first for me.

Any help or understanding would be great, thank you,
    Ian

2. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

pictures?

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

BTW i will have no answers but i just want pictures :)

4. scott14

scott14 Birth of a Detailer

prob the weather....menz is like paris hilton when it comes to humidity

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

most likely condition you were in. humidity has a lot to do how polish reacts. i think if its too humid or too dry it will dry up very fast

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Welcome to the world of sticky paint! Some paints ( newer Porsches, Infinitis etc ) for some reason heat up very quickly causing the polish to dry out and stick to the paint. You have a few options to combat this. You can go to a harder pad so there is less drag on the paint. You can use a product like Gloss it Pad Prime to add some lubricity or you can simply use your pc and solve the problem.

7. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

dont know if i missed it in the post but do you know if there was a sealant/glaze/wax on it previously? try to wipe the panel down with IPA before polishing

edit:
    as Ken said it might be sticky paint. if it is you might have a hell of a fight awaiting you lol

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Sticky bs!

I did an 03 F150 like that... took me by suprise... the megs twins saved my ASS!

9. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

No sorry no pics.
    I don't think it was the weather, I have used these products before without a problem rescently

Sorry but what is IPA?

I can see the sticky paint, but I have the same car and same year 04 subaru wrx , mine is blue his is black the clear should be the same and I never had a problem with mine. It does make sence thou that the paint could be sticky. I'm pretty sure the hood wasn't repainted before and the PC did fix it but it still wanted to cause problems. And I did try a harder pad, I used a DD uber orange pad which is pretty hard IMO.

i know my buddy uses Meguire's products and I'm not sure what was on there but I was kinda thinking that something he used was causing a problem even after using a clay bar.

10. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

isopropyl alchohol it removes previous protection. you needed to use citrus wash to get old protection off

11. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I agree with Ken about the sticky paint. Subaru's are notorious for sticky paint, a guy in DW just did a write up on an 2010 STI and he was combating the sticky paint through the whole detail.

12. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Oh ok, thanks. I was thinking of hitting it wit ha wax and grease remover or something like that

13. Ian

Ian Jedi Nuba

Just weird cause I have the same car and year. I do uderstand what you guys are saying thou, I work in a body shop and there is soooo many different type's of clears out there, just never seen it this bad.

Thanks for the help guys!

14. Russ@Xclusive

Russ@Xclusive Two Bucket System Washer

This. As soon as I read the first few lines. Sticky paint came to my mind. Sucks..

15. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

sticky clearcoat for sure. conditions coulda had something to do with it as well. i despise sticky clearcoats.

16. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Definitely sticky clear coat. Subarus are notorious for it.

17. Clark

Clark Two Bucket System Washer

What he said!

My Impreza has it (2004 WR1) and pretty much every model from bug eye onwards will have it (some classics seem to be ok).

18. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

I know my thoughts vary on this, but when i read your first thread, the 2 things i thought was either a respray job that the owner was unaware of, and since here of late, i have done about 5 black cars , each having there own nuances. With that in mind,black sometimes can be very unforgiving, and that seems to be the case here, amongst the other previous comments suggested.

19. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Did you try to polish any other spots on the car?

20. richy

richy Guest

Do you have a DA? Give that a try as Ken suggests. Do you have Megs 105 or another compound? It's all about trying different pads/polishes to see what will work. It will be different for every car, including same year Subus....that's just the way it is.