Need to pick my next LSP

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by cptzippy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Using up my products as best I can since I should be moving - somewhere - by the end of the year. Army movers won't move liquids so I have to carry my detailing arsenal with me with all the other things I don't trust to the moving company or they won't handle. So I'll need to get new stuff after I move (or get a small bit if I use it up before I move). So I need to choose something new or rebut what I have.

Right now I have:
    Prima Epic
    Prima Banana Gas
    Prima Hydro
    A Panel Pot of Dodo Juice Wax (the hard one for white that I can't remember the name of)
    Optimum Car Wax
    Optimum Optiseal
    And A syringe of Opticoat that I haven't used yet because I haven't corrected and am afraid I like playing with stuff too much to put on

So comparing to these, what else should I look at? Thinking about Hyrdoseal because I obviously like Prima stuff. Not sure of the nano things like wolf's body wrap because they seem to need special shampoo's.

BTW, I primarily have been using ONR and Opticlean to wash.

Cars used on: Acura MDX in nimbus gray (a charcoal gray metallic) and an Glacial White Jag.

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Im waiting for Prima to come out with a straight traditional sealant, I love their products......... closest thing would be Hydro seal, not sure of durability though.

Banana Gas? sounds interesting........ (i know what you mean, just busting balls)

3. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Banana gas sounds like a new bomb for the military. Lol

I always tell people to get lusso oro. It's a must have.

4. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Guess it's called Banana Gloss now. And now I know why Nick didn't go with the original name - does sound a bit trench warfare. My senility is showing.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Prima is by and far my favorite product line, as evidenced in half of my posts. I agree with Karl, a traditional sealant would be awesome instead of mostly hybrid lsp's. HydroSeal may be the only thing I haven't tried from them. That being said, I am absolutely in love with Epic. Amigo followed Epic can be a real killer combo.

I would stick with what works man, and it seems like Prima has been doing that for you. Just my two cents.

I am also a huge fan of Powerlock, can't go wrong with it.

6. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Powerlock is definatley the old standby, and you can use Hydro to top it off, works great...........

*im a total dummy, epic is a sealant............. I always thought it was an AIO, may have to get some of this!

7. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

I wouldn't be afraid of body wrap. I used it without any of their special shampoos or qd and didn't notice any lack in performance. I guess it might work better even longer with those but I still get bored and try new things too often to worry about it that much.
    The absolute best feature of body wrap I found and I've mentioned before is usually when I wash a car I always get the urge to add another coat of something to it to step the look back up. But with body wrap it looked just as good after being washed as it did when it was applied so I'd just stop at that point. With all the other products they never look quite as good as when you first put them on the finish so I tend to add another layer after each wash or at least hit it with a spray wax.
    With Body Wrap, I'd wash it, dry it, park it and get on with my life.
    I keep wanting to use it again but currently I have raceglaze black label on the cars and just can't bring myself to remove it :)
    Just put opticoat on my truck and while it may outlast BW it doesn't out shine it.

8. cptzippy

cptzippy Jedi Nuba

Anybody else?

9. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Body Wrap, duragloss, four star, hd poxy

10. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Nice summary. Ever since I tried BW I've used it several times and haven't used my other sealants or waxes other than for wheel duty. BW rocks.

11. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

I went over the car this evening with shine n seal and then body wrap. I'm terrible at pictures but here is a shot of the roof of the car:

roof.jpg
    I noticed while I was working my way around the car that at some angles it is hard to see where the panel of the car is because all you get is a reflection. And that is on a medium to darkish gray car.

I did once around with the shin n seal and then two coats of the BW, using a method that I can't remember where I saw it but it was apply the BW with a foam applicator and then work it around with the DA and a black finishing pad and the BW pretty much disappears then wait 10-15 and wipe it off. On the second coat the towel would slide across the paint with the same feel of clay on lots of lube.

12. gthal

gthal Two Bucket System Washer

I know it is out of favour on this particular forum but I still love CQuartz. The durability and self cleaning properties are amazing and with a top up of Reload once a month it looks and beads amazingly well for a long time. I have tried Body Wrap too and did like it (it was very similar in look and self cleaning to CQuartz) but the durability was not as good and I wasn't a fan of needing to use specific shampoo, etc.