Need some unbiased advice on a dilemma, sell or not to sell, that is the question

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Meticulous-Detail, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I have a 2010 GT500, see here http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/now-youre-here/31734-hello-staten-island-ny.htm which is mostly used for cruising and car shows. The wife has an 11 Toyota Highlander and I have a company car that I am NOT allowed to use for personal use only work.

As of late I have been thinking of selling it because of the limited use and lack of practicality. Car sits there, don't take it out in the rain or snow, can't drive below 40 deg.(tires break lose), paying all this money for a car I take to shows and drive back home, don't wanna put the kids in it (still in car seats), don't want to park it anywhere (live in NYC), wife can't drive it, don't cruise around much because roads are so bad................etc. I tried to take it for a weekend get away to PA last month and couldn't fit everything.

I took my 06 GT and Mazdaspeed 6 everywhere at anytime, didn't look as clean, shiny and scratch free as the GT500, but had allot of fun with it.

I was thinkin 2012 300 SRT8 or Caddy CTS-V, if I decided to sell. Something more of a family muscle car. You could say " Well just use it more" but IMO it is not the easiest car to use in all weather and the thought of parking it on a NYC street or mall parking lot makes me cringe. Would I care about the 300 or SRT8? Yes, but I would probably trade up every 5 yrs.

Thoughts?

2. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I have similar issues and what is comes down to is nothing this board can help you with. If you have the $ to burn-enjoy it, if not let it go. Cars (most) are depreciating assets and not good investments. You could always change the tires and drive the hell out of it. i have a Toy car as well and it has 500 mile on it-dont drive in rain, below 40 or park anywhere. I am thinking about getting some therapy to work out my fear of parking in public lots. (LOL-wanna start a support group-I am on LI!) LOL.

Good Luck...

3. Meticulous-Detail

Lol............I am in!.................

Thanx for the response. The money is not the issue, it is more about the amount of enjoyment time. I enjoy the car when I drive it, but those days seem to be far and few; bt the weather, work, kids................etc. I am thinking that I would use the CTS or 300 much more for daily type use and chores. Uh.............this sucks!

4. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

My thoughts are, if you can, and it seems like you can, why not bring together to best of both worlds of a muscle car and daily driver for family needs and get either the CTS-V or 300. You'll get a ton of enjoyment performance wise and you'll have a ton of extra room. NOW, if you really want some more space and sick performance maybe consider the CTS-V wagon? Then again I am partial to wagons.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I say sell it. If you are in a position that it bothers you to see it sitting there, get something you would enjoy driving on a regular basis. As 721 said, it is depreciating so unload it. Like Chas, I love wagons so a few years ago I found a used VW W8 4Motion. All wheel drive, 300hp and I can carry my hockey gear in the back without folding the seat down. Its not perfect, but I do get the enjoyment of driving it regularly. :)

6. belair

belair Birth of a Detailer

Thoreau said "Simplify, simplify, simplify". You enjoy it when you drive it, but... not in the rain nor the cold and not with the kids and not when you have to park it and not on bad roads. When weighing the pluses and minuses it seems like your enjoyment may be losing the race. I had the same predicament and finally sold the car then bought another one that was more practical yet had the cool stuff I wanted. It was a load off my mind and I never looked back. Sometimes we have to pick and choose which luxuries to keep and which ones aren't worth the aggravation.

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Sell it. What's the point on having that car when you can never use it? Buy something used (but in good shape), detail it and just enjoy the shit out of it.

8. Meticulous-Detail

Very well said...................thanx to all for the replies

9. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

got a cts v coupe and it certainly doesnt fit a family at all but the wagon would be perfect.

10. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Sell it and buy a GTR... AWD and a back seat, or more practical yet, Audi RS6. lol

11. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

+2 for the CTS-V Wagon !!!
    I just drove next to one the other day on the freeway - it is absolutely beautiful ! And I hear it is stunningly fast !!!
    It should hold everything you want to carry including car seats, so that is one option.

We have an '03 BMW 540iT wagon that came from the factory totally optioned out in M5 equipment and it is an awesome ride. The story goes, that BMW made a few of these to tour the US the last year of this E39 platform. The 4 pipes sticking out the back make it look and sound so good. It carries everything we would ever need including 2 German Shepherds..
    I dont know what they did to the engine, but while it doesnt have the M5 intake on it, it darn sure runs like an M5. I love it and my Sweetheart loves it even more.

You cant go wrong with a nice wagon of any marque - especially if you can get all wheel drive or even 4 good snow tires and wheels to change over in the winter..

Good luck !
    Dan F

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I was in this very predicament with my STI.... never drove it, it sat covered in my garage because I have other cars to drive. I ended up selling it to a good friend, if he had not bought it would not have sold it, i wanted it to go to a good home, not some Ken Block Dude Bro 17 year old.......

As more kids came into my life and my weekends got shorter I did not get to enjoy it as much as I did prior, now that it is gone I miss it. Eventually Ill replace it, but It was just sitting there.

If money is not the issue, sell it and find something that you will enjoy driving as much as the mustang with less emotional overhead as I call it.
    That is more practical as well.....

13. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I say sell it, by the way how much are you asking if you do? I was looking at a 2011 Stage 2 Roush here in town but didnt get it in the end. I am currently trying to sell my 2004 GT to upgrade to either a terminator cobra or another type of mustang it just depends on the vehicle and the price.

14. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

I would really look into the srt8 jeep. Loads of power and plenty of space

15. Meticulous-Detail

The car has plenty of nice mods, so I would be looking for mid-low 40's. The CTS-V sedan and wagon are awesome but a little more than I want to spend. I am leaning towards the Chrysler 300 SRT8 0-60 in 4.5, 13.0 in the 1/4 and a top speed of 175, I would also consider a GC SRT8 but they are asking low 60's for them now. I can't see my self in a Taurus SHO. I am going to the Dodge/Chrysler dealer tomorrow to look at the 300 and the GC.

16. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

You should post it up for sale on the SVT Performance forums in the market section.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/

17. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I bought an '09 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi, put a really nice 3" exhaust system on it with a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler, and a 4" tip (this model has only 1 exhaust outlet and no room for 2) and the thing runs and sounds great. Its Trail Rated with skid plates, etc., Nav, Sirius XM, Ipod,USB, Fold Down screen for backseat, Sirius TV..
    The newer Grand Cherokees after '09 were made on a Mercedes Platform, so nicer ride, all new outside sheetmetal, dual exhausts, and might be worthwhile to check out while you are there..

Good luck,
    Dan F

18. Meticulous-Detail

Well I decided to keep the Shelby and I leased a 2012 Ford Fusion SE for everyday use. Put the Shelby away for the winter now. Thanx for all the advice.

19. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

I think this was a good move. I sold my pride and joy several years ago and regret it everyday now. :(

20. LuisA

LuisA Virgin Detailer

I have had 3 of them. one red/wht coupe, one white/red vert and 08KR0202.....fell in love with my GTR so, got rid of the GT500's....well, I now miss the muscle car sensation........so, in I am buying a 2013 vert.......yes, they sit there most of the time, but, a run around the block is all I need to put a smile back in my face....adn it will share the garage with my GTR.

Dont sell it!