Need some house repair assistance ...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by GDAL, Mar 12, 2012.

1. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Guys,

If I had to pick something I truly suck at ... it would definitively be house repairs. I come from a long line of terrible house repairmen, so I never learned how to fix anything around the house.

I need to perform some drywall repairs and I'm trying to see if there are workshops available for these types of repair. I'm a visual learner, so a workshop would work best for me (or a good instructional DVD).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. You guys can make fun of me now.

Maybe Phil/Dave can create a Drywall Repair Class like the DA class ... lmao

2. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Gianni you may want to ask your local Home Depot about that. I know they run workshops/training for customers

3. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I'll stop by at Home Depot soon ... thank you Brian.

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Check out Youtube as well.

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Ya I've learned a lot from you tube!

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

What did you want to do with Drywall ?

Dan F

7. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

How big of a repair is it?
    Are you patching a hole or putting up a whole new piece?

8. kocor321

kocor321 Virgin Detailer

Try youtube, you will find hundreds of videos on drywall repair.

I've learned so much on youtube, from buffing cars to repairing boilers, redoing my roof, you can't go wrong. A little initiative is all you need.

9. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

I agree ... youtube is an awesome reference tool. I always have my laptop hooked up in my garage whenever I'm working on my vehicles.

I'm trying to replace new pieces, repair recessed joints that are bulging out, and repair areas where the walls/ceiling panels meet. Nothing too crazy.

10. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

11. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Gianni -

Drywall can be a messy, dusty job when it comes to sanding down after taping/mudding the joints.
    Luckily, the rest of it is pretty easy; just need a few tools = drywall handsaw, a drywall t-square, maybe a long piece of aluminum or angle iron to help you score a nice straight edge, drywall screws, drill , joint tape knife, your drywall, tape, and mud, and I think that's about it.

Hopefully, you are working with 1/2" thick board and not the bigger 3/4" fireblock stuff. Either will work, but of course the thinner board is way lighter and easier to score and break clean..

Just measure carefully, cut out what you need to, and replace with new. If its older stuff it was nailed in and dimpled, covered with mud and tape.

I personally like to use drywall screws instead of nails; they are easier to start, dont have to worry about missing the nail, and they hold the board really tight to the studs.

Not really a fan of doing drywall either, it takes a certain person to want to do this for a living, but I will do it on occasion and especially like doing the inside walls of the garage, where it is going to make a difference with the insulation, the board, and then painting it white.

Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

if all else fails.......... get a bigger hammer!

seriously, there are some great books at Lowes, or home depot. I have had to replace some drywall before after cutting a hole to access a pipe. its not really hard..........they even sell texture in a can now LOL

13. GDAL

GDAL Super Moderator

Thanks for all the responses ... I might post pictures of my rookie repairs.

14. boredstudent3

boredstudent3 Wax on..Wax off

i part take in basement renovations and I have learned A LOT from the sessions...

here is 1 big tip that will save you in the end...when applying the mud on the corner beads or the edge tape or the mesh tape, make sure you do a neat job

take the time and don't just slap it on, otherwise you will have to sand it all off...lol...