Need some help! Removing PAINTED pinstriping, experts only please!

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by InsanePaint, Apr 28, 2013.

1. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Ok, so I have a cool retro project in the garge right now, a 1989 Mercedes 300CE. The owner wanted the pinstriping removed, and it's painted on. NO PROBLEM. The entire car was going totally smooth. Light heat gun, 3M adhesive remover, a good MF towel, and some PATIENCE. It was a piece of cake, until I hit the driver's side door.....It's been repainted, which means the pinstriping is NEWER, and it's INCREDIBLY difficult to remove. The small 4"-5" section that's been removed (below), took 45 minutes!! And I still have the rest of the door!! My fear is that I'm going to harm the surrounding paint in the process. So I taped off around it, and decided to come in & ask for a 2nd opinion. Thoughts, gentlemen?? I cant just leave a random door unfinished, but I also want to be SAFE about the deal.

Here's where I'm at NOW.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It might help to know, that I've already communicated the issue to the client, and he knows about this. He trusts me to do what is right. Thanks in advance for ANY help!! :)

2. thecarguy

thecarguy Virgin Detailer

Without actually getting my hands on it and just going off what you are saying, I would try maybe wet sanding it down to where it can be safely polished out. Nothing too aggressive, maybe try 2000 grit to start.

3. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

I don't know why I didn't even think of that.....?? I have plenty of 2k on hand. Not a bad idea. I'm just concerned about the skinny area in between the two stripes. I don't wanna harm that area.

4. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

5. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

I have a large 4" diameter one I got a autobody supply store. hooks up to a drill, works like a charm and wont harm the paint.

6. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

4" felt pad?

7. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

You're playing with fire if you intend to sand these stripes off. Easy Off over cleaner should do the trick.

8. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do.....

9. Kilo6_one

Chase, the one I have is rubber, its like a giant eraser.

My buddy owns a body shop, he uses it to remove adhesives from door moldings, trim and such. I've used to to remove pinstripes on my suburban as well as another car, But those were decals (12 year old decals at that) works great, but if its paint I do not know. Its worth a shot though, because I think the felt one may remove too much material too fast.

wet sanding may be the only way to go at this point.

10. InsanePaint

InsanePaint Pro Detailer

Yessir. I've got one of those. It did NADA for me. :( Oven cleaner did the trick. All better now. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS!!! :)

11. Kilo6_one

oven cleaner, who would have thought.......... that is a good tip.

12. Jokeman

Jokeman Two Bucket System Washer

I second David. Easy Off works great for this.

13. kinwald

kinwald Virgin Detailer

3m strip off wheel..done. Good at taking off adhesive too

14. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Had to take care of this once... Old pin stripes, thick.

Tried all the stuff I had read like easy off etc with no luck.. Ended up wet sanding...

15. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

David,

Could he had also used laquer thinner?

-Hamza