Need some help, Prima Cut left some haze on bumper

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by thatwillbuffout, Jun 27, 2011.

1. thatwillbuffout

thatwillbuffout Virgin Detailer

I had a scratch on bumper from someone hitting it with the edge of a shovel so I tried some Prima Cut with a yellow cutting pad with my PC random orbital. It worked a little and lightened the scratch, removed the excess polish wtih a MF towel and all looked well. It started to rain while I was doing this so I did not apply any other polish, details of the product do say that sometimes you won't even need a polish afterwords.

A few days later I noticed a haze over the spot that I used Prima Cut on at night with headlights lighting up my bumper, you cannot see this during the day. I used some Prima Swirl on the area with a green polishing pad but the haze is still there. Car is black.

What else can I do to lighten up this haze? Or am I screwed? It was only with a PC so I don't think I can burn into the paint like a standard polishing machine.

Should I grab some Menzerna SIP or some other final type polish and try that? What would your suggestion be?

Thanks

2. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive never used Prima Cut, but when you use an aggressive polish or compound its best too follow up with a less abrasive polish, like SIP, PF and the like, it removes the marring induced by the compound.

I go back over the area with some SIP and green or blue Uber pad and then apply your LSP and it should be fine.

3. Kilo6_one

opppps double post.

4. thatwillbuffout

Thanks, that is why I went over it with Prima Swirl, I was hoping it would lighten it up but it didn't. May I ask what you mean by PF and LSP?

Thanks

5. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

PF = Menzerna Power Finish (a popular finishing polish used to remove compunding haze)
    LSP = Last Step Protection (i.e. wax or sealant you will use after haze is gone)

6. Kilo6_one

swirl may not be as aggressive as PF, in fact PF with the right pad can remove alot of stuff..............in a single step.

and yes you can burn your paint with a PC if you are using too much pressure, or work the area too long.

7. thatwillbuffout

Great, thank you very much for the help. So you would do the PF instead of SIP? I think SIP has more cut, correct? I would love to not have to buy more Menzerna than needed, it is very expensive and I rarely polish the car. I had some PO85RD but it has dried up well before I could finish it.

Thanks again

8. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Are you sure you worked both polishes long enough?
    Also what brand of pads are you using? Uber, LC?

9. Kilo6_one

I have both, PF is where I would start...... but both will work, the amount of cut between the two is minuscule

10. thatwillbuffout

I am not sure, I thought I did but I very well may not have. I am using Uber 4 inch pads on my PC. I have the yellow, orange, blue & green.

11. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Ok you don't have to buy any other polishes. Basically Prima Cut with the yellow cutting pad is going to give you some "heavy" cutting. So now you need to follow up with Prima Swirl. Use the Uber green and make sure the polish breaks down properly. Prima Swirl is nearly identical to PF and you will get the same results as you would with PF. It all depends on what pads you use. So try the green and Swirl. Plus since your car is black what you might want to do is follow up with Amigo after Swirl, but only if you got it. It will just add more shine and depth as well as get rid of any left over hazing, holograms.

12. rfinkle2

You can use distilled water with PO85rd or any of the Menzerna Polishes for that matter.

Would you try something? I know I sound like a broken record, but trap a piece of mf in between your pad and paint, and use the PO85rd with some distilled water.

That haze will be a distant memory.

13. thatwillbuffout

OK, I will try the Swirl again (I just did it yesterday with either the green or blue pad, I can't remember I think the pad just said polish on it and was green). How long do you think is enough time to get it to break down? The area affected is not very large, maybe three inches by six or eight inches. I unfortunately do not have Amigo, just the Cut and Swirl.

14. thatwillbuffout

So squeeze out some of the dried up PO85rd and mix with distilled water, then apply to a MF towel and put that between the pad and paint and try that? So take the entire towel and cover the entire pad, hopefully the towel will stay in place. I guess that is worth a shot!!

15. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

If its broken down enough it'll look clear and will be easy to wipe off.

16. Kilo6_one

good to know...... I don't have experince with Prima products other then some tire dressing. I may have to try me some swirl, it costs less LOL

17. rfinkle2

Yes... Give it a try.

Will you please post your results? ... i.e. let us know how you make out?

18. thatwillbuffout

So I tried the swirl with an orange uber pad followed by swirl with a green uber pad, I believe I worked it a good amount of time, polish got clear and not noticable and was very easy to wipe of with a MF towel. Waited till it was dark, haze still there and I think I made the spot a little larger. Tomorrow or Wed I will try the 85rd mixed with distilled water and using a MF towel in between or I will just buy some PF, maybe the menzerna will just be better.

If my 85rd is dried out and I cannot get it out of the bottle, how would I extract some? And what would you say the distiled water mixing percentage be, 50/50 75/25?

I guess I may also need to use something like Amigo to bring out the shine/get rid of the haze. If the 85rd trick doesn't work that is what I am going to try next. Should I go with Amigo or go with a menzerna and if menzeran which one?

Thanks

19. Kilo6_one

can you post a picture?

20. M3ride.

M3ride. Wax on..Wax off

Why did you start with an orange pad? I think you might be using too much polish for the small area you're working with. You shouldn't be having any problems. How much polish are you putting on the pad?