Need some help in cleaning 'something' off my car

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by newbie001, May 28, 2014.

1. newbie001

newbie001 Birth of a Detailer

Not really sure what is all over my car (probably a combination of overspray from some recent body work, and just general crud), but my car is very 'unsmooth'. The car may or may not still have opticoat that was applied a couple of years ago, or it may have been buffed off after the recent body work (despite me telling them to be extra careful and only touch the parts they were fixing...).

in any case, claying helps a lot, but for me to clay the entire car is going to take forever... Is there anything else I can try (by hand)? Will anything like Iron X, Tar X, 1z Paint Polish, etc.. do anything at all?

I know it's hard to answer w/o seeing it in person, and I'm pretty sure what the answer is, but do I simply need to go to a professional that knows what he's doing and has actual equipment to get the job done?

As an aside, if there is anyone here that's in Fairfield County and would be willing to take a look it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JordanL

JordanL Virgin Detailer

I haven't been faced with this specific problem before but I have a general idea on what can help remove that. Before you do anything has the paint/ clear coat fully cured?

If it has than I would try this. If you find claying will take to long then look into a nanoskin product such as their foam pad for a DA, if you don't have a DA then try their autoscrub wash mitt (Phil carries them both). That should work but make sure you have a good clay lube with it to reduce the risk of marring. That should remove most of the overspray and industrial fallout etc. If there is still some contamination present and the clay/nanoskin isn't working than you might want to try out a product such as Iron X, or Iron out. Hope that helps!

StreetShotz likes this.
  3. StreetShotz

StreetShotz New Member

If you have not used the Nanoskin products before, you will likely have marring on the paint and need to correct that.

I assume you have tried to was the car with some more aggressive soap before you are using any other products on this. If not then I would start there. Good blast from the pressure washer and some good soap you may find a lot of it comes right off there.

4. newbie001

newbie001 Birth of a Detailer

Thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to mention in my original post that I washed with a strong concentration of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash. I didn't pull out my pressure washer though.

I definitely keep reading that the autoscrub mitt is not for newbies like me and will most likely marr the paint, which is not something I want to do as I won't be able to correct it.

I'll probably just keep claying a bit each time I wash, and will eventually finish the whole car... Or maybe I'll try the mitt and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

5. amz

amz New Member

Hmm...how long does it take you to clay bar the whole car? I mean no offence, but maybe your technique needs a bit of adjusting. I can clay my whole car in 10-15 minutes; 20 minutes if I'm taking frequent beverage breaks.