Need interior dressing that hides scratches & nick

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by IanB, Oct 22, 2008.

1. IanB

IanB Two Bucket System Washer

My dash has maybe a half dozen imperfections about 1/4 inch long (think fingernail scratch etc..) and I have been using cockpit premium for a while now, but although the matte look is fantastic on all the spots that aren't nicked, the area's that are show up even more. Anyone have some advice for a dressing (if I remember correctly 303 looked good and made some of these nicks less noticeable??) that would cover some of these nicks?

I am thinking 303, but maybe others have a different approach/idea?

Thanks in advance.
    IB

2. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Vinylex might help. Easy enough to get at places like Auto Zone that you could at least give it a try. I've also heard of folks using super fine steel wool on stuff like this, depending on what kind of vinyl or plastic they're trying to fix.

I've got some of the same kind of scratches in my car, and I haven't tried the steel wool trick yet. I'm a bit fearful that I'll make the scratch go away, but make the surrounding area look all wrong.

3. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I really wish I knew what to tell you. 303 is a great product but I don't think it is what you are looking for. You can always buy it and give it a try. It won't be a waste of money. In this situation you may have to live with what you have. You can always start to try different things like krshultz said. Good luck.

4. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

if any of you have read my other posts you can probably guess what ill reccomend, Griots Vinyl and rubber dressing! i did my old neighbors car and there were a couple spots where little flakes of vinyl were coming off, i put on some VRD and it gave everything a nice even finish

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

ObsessiveDetail Silk Shine, Optimum Protectant Plus and PB's Natural look are some of my favorites.

6. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Product wise i don't know myself, so experiment prior to using.
    Not sure if this is possible, but if you wet sand say using a fine grit and work till gone, and then try a regular car polish to remove the haze left by sanding. Again, experiment.