1. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

I had a client contact me last night and told me he got silicone on his '72 Pantera.... how do you remove it w/o damaging the paint?

Thanks for your help in this matter:afro:

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Silicone Removal:

Surface preparation- if previously applied products containing silicone have been used, apply a silicone oil and / or wax remover (Hi-Temp Prep Wash, Menzerna Top Inspection or Swissvax Cleaner Fluid) to remove as much of the silicon as possible before polishing

Polishing - when a silicon-free polish works on the paint surface it uses aluminium oxide particles, suspended in water and hydrocarbons and a mechanical process (polishing) to abrade the paint surface to the base level of the scratch. Silicon cannot be removed by mechanical means (polishing); silicone can only be removed with chemicals (solvents). If it is not removed the silicon mixes with the paint dust and polish powder and it creates a smear on the paint.

3. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Prep sol will remove silicone and wax...thats what body shops use to prepare a car for painting....will not harm paint...its just a solvent cleaning agent....

what type of silicone is he talking about...most sealants and waxes have some silicone in them...whether it be a oil type or a polymer..

but anyways.....prep sol is your friend here....to 2 wipes downs to ensure its clean....you can get at wal mart (see posts here) or any body shop supply....

Prep-Sol® 3919S™ is a cleaning solvent specifically designed for initial surface preparation before
    painting. Prep-Sol® 3919S™ works well on the following difficult to remove elements: wax, grease,
    silicone, dirt, tar, insect remnants, road film and pin stripe adhesives.

any other brand will do the same thing......its much cheaper than getting the Menz spray and swissvax cleaner....its a must have product if your mobile..removes tar also....great stuff to have on hand.....

AL

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Good feedback here...

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

CG body solvent.

6. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

that works ..same as prep sol..but why pay shipping...when you can get prep sol local....

AL

7. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

thanks for the info... where in wal-mart would I find prep-sol.... meaning what isle?

8. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

I think I remember Al saying you could find it in the touch-up paint section.