Need help/reviews Cannon Rebel XSi

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by dsms, Nov 2, 2008.

1. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

After some research I found that buying something like a Nikon D40 isnt worth it, for starting out on a dSLR maybe but I would rather spend a little extra cash now for a better camera that I will grow into. I read some reviews on the Rebel XSi and people seem thrilled about it, specifically its picture quality and sharpness , which is the most important thing im looking for in a camera. So any XSi users out there care to share what the think of it, or better yet post pics (with the kit lens if possible) ?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

3. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

In terms of entry levele slrs I'm sure the pentax is great but I think the rebel xsi is rated as a step up from the entry level group like the d200 and nikon d40 and Sony a 900 or the standard rebel xt
    . Mainly its 12.2 megapixel sensor and price seperate it from most of the other entry level ones. I really want a camera that won't limit me over time and something that I will grow into as I progress in my photography skills.

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

pentax K20, nothing entry level about this

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I have not been following digitial cameras that carefully but I keep reading about increasing pixel size without an increasing sensor siize. They imply the quality is not there and once you get passed 10 MP you already have a picture that is the point of dimishing returns unless you zooming into small sections.

I am curious about the first comment I made about pixel size and sensor size.

6. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

for your sake PIXELS DON'T MATTER!!!!!!!!!!

trust me lol

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

increasing pixel size without increasing sensor size translates into worth qualit becouse you trying to stuff more pixels into same space.

its like having car with high horse power engine and skinny tires that cant put that power down.

there are a lot more factors that determine how good camera is. some manufacturers started putting dslr size image sensors into high end point and shoot cameras with wide angle lenses

im not good with explaining things

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

I claim to know very little about SLR cameras, the only thing which sparked my interest in the Rebel XSi is all of its rave reviews commenting on picture quality. The biggest qualm people had was its small grip, which I can live with if image quality makes up for it. I need to test out the XSi and D60 and see what I like.

9. smalltrees

smalltrees Virgin Detailer

in reality, the amount does not really matter...
    since the advent of digital cameras, the selling point has been the number of pixels needed to make a quality print... ( they were selling bridges... )

the quality of a print made from a digital image, is entirely based on the quality of the printer... and printer software... not the number of pixels... or the camera used...

two completely different worlds, image capture and printing... two completely different translations of pixels... scene to pixels via software, pixels to print via software...
    obviously, the better the software, the better the translations, in both worlds...

image quality, pixel quality, first starts with the glass on your camera...

next is the translation/process/development/conversion of the raw data to a digital file...
    to date, Photoshop is still the best software to convert your images, or manipulate the digital data... in-camera conversion to a jpeg file, will be of lesser quality, than done in Photoshop... any conversion from a raw file, to a jpeg, will be a loss of data.
    that loss will not be visible on your monitor, but, will/can be visible on a print
    what you see on your monitor, is yet another conversion of the digital file, to a different device

The Sigma SD-10, with the Foveon chip, only shot raw files, with no in-camera conversion.
    the Foveon chip was/is still the closest thing to film, as far as edge sharpness... ( think the transition from one color to another, red to blue side by side...) it uses three layers of RGB just like film... an amazing chip, in a cheap camera body...

regardless of the file, chip, sensor, sensor size... the weakest link, will be in the printing, unless a high-end printer is used... still the best quality is using a chemically processed photographic paper. like used with film in the old days...
    The ultimate would be like a Durst Lamda, then your camera store processors like an Agfa, or a Fuji Frontier. at your low-end would be your desktop Epson inkjets, or any inkjet...

again the conversion via software from the digital file to the printer is the most important...
    it is called "Ripping software" there are third party softwares that will greatly improve the quality of any inkjet, most large format printers use a higher quality rip software...

so... how many pixels do you need or want... wink/smile...

any camera with quality glass, that can capture raw files, and you will be fine...
    Nikon, Cannon, Pentax, Sigma all make quality glass...
    some of the Panasonic P&S used Leica glass, some of the Samsung P&S used Schneider glass... maybe the world's best lens...

it is not the camera, or the number of pixels, that will make a quality image.
    it will be the creative eye, behind the camera...
    a Hasselblad with a 40 meg file, can take a lousy photo... wink/smile...

10. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

^^^ Thank you for the good info. :worship2: I know that megapixels dont mean much, I just saw the rave reviews the XSi was getting and thought it would be a good option in the intermediate dSLR range. I am also considering a D60 or even a D80 Nikon. Like I said picture quality is my most important need, and for right now I think im going to stick with the kit lenses. For capturing my details I want really vibrant sharp photos, I think with my Sony P&S I have hit my limit. Right now my shots are okay but I feel I can do better with a real camera. I try to work with the lighting and angles best I can but even capturing defects or sun bursts with my Sony now is very hard. So im looking at the XSi, D60, D80...how do you feel about these SLR's anyone?

11. eShine

eShine Guest

We just bought a Rebel Xsi, we are currently using it at Disney. So far so good. It took a little getting used to using the eyepiece instead of the LCD but after a few shots I wonder why I ever used the LCD.

12. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

It does have the liveview feature where you can see the picture through the LCD, I would agree that using the viewfinder is better though.

13. sk8ter4life

sk8ter4life Virgin Detailer

Check out kenrockwell.com for nikon and canon reviews.

I own a Nikon D70 and D90. Most cameras are pretty good, I recommend, going to the store and playing around with them. Lens can get pretty pricey, try to look on ebay and buy them used to save money. Overall I don't think you can go wrong w/ any mid range camera.
    The thing about the little models is some lack of features, that the more expensive ones have. Make sure you get a tripod and practice. I'm still a noob lol.

14. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

I have the XSi and I definitely recommend it. The ergonomics are fantastic, all necessary controls are right there at your fingertips. The large 3" LCD is great and when using Live View, the detail is outstanding. It is compatible with all EF and EF-S Canon lenses, including the L series. So far I just have the kit lens (18-55 EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS) and it takes great shots with even just that lens. I can't wait to get some high end lenses, as well as up my skills then the photos I take will be even more beautiful.

Here's the first real set of shots I got from it:

Royal Flush Rally Nov. 9, 2008 - a set on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

^^ Those shots look incredible. I recently bought a Nikon D60 though, I just liked the way it felt in my hands and the price was tough to beat. XSi I still think from playing with it takes excellent photos.

16. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I am still looking for a good traveling camera. A DSLR is just too big. It looks like the "compacts" like the Canon G10 cost as much as an entry DSLR. I want to try out a Panasonic LX3. I want looking a top performing slr-like or compact that has a fast lens and has decent iso performance above ISO 200.

17. DaveS4

DaveS4 Jedi Nuba

You can never go wrong with the Canon G Series. They are excellent cameras.

18. brianja

brianja Jedi Nuba

I'll second that. I have a G9 that I use when I don't want to lug my big rig around and it is a really great camera.

If you really need something compact it may not be the best choice since it's a bit big to put in your pocket, but as a dSLR alternative it's superb.

19. Bunky

Bunky Guest

My wife has a Canon S3. It is great for macros but is a super zoom and a slow lens.

20. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I'm looking into getting a XSi as well and I'm still trying to figure out if I'm better off buying it used or brand new.