Need help restoring my HRE's

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by stingray23, Apr 15, 2012.

1. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Ok guys, the time has come for me to sell my beloved Z06 and move on to something else. I have a set of 19/20 HRE 540's that came off the car and need a little(a lot) TLC. Satin black centers, bare polished aluminum lips. What steps should I take to restore them to new? The centers look dull and the lips are etched with crap. Any tips would help. I'm looking to bring them back to life so I can sell them. What do you guys think?

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Could you post some pics of the wheels?

3. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I just finished working on a car with 2 inch polished lips that were heavily oxidized. Optimum metal polish worked well but you will need patience if doing it by hand.

4. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

I'll have pics later on. I have a PC if that helps. What about using a fine steel wool?

5. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Ok, here are some pics. Keep in mind that I did not clean them yet, but its not gonna make a huge difference anyway.

photo(3).jpg

photo(4).jpg

photo(5).jpg

photo(6).jpg

6. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Have you looked if polishing them with something like M205 or other light polish removes the dull stains?

7. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

No, I havent. I wasnt sure I could use car polish on the wheels. The only thing I did in the past was use a fine steel wool to remove some of that crud and then used a metal polish by hand. I wonder if I can bring the color back to the centers? I have a PC and tons of different pads. i also have M105 and M205.

8. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Any advice from the pros?

9. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

If the spokes are clear coated you can polish them with the same stuff you polish paint with. The outer lips need to be done using a metal polish though. You can use a cone polishing ball that attaches to a drill to make it easier.

10. tfish1

tfish1 Birth of a Detailer

I would take these steps before looking at polish steps
    1st sonax or any type of iron removing solution iron x paste would probably work great
    2nd strong wheel cleaner with lots of agitation like mg wheel brightener
    3rd mild to aggressive clay then take it from there

11. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

IMO wheel brightener on a polished lip is pretty risky and could possibly make things worse. Clay won't do much for the etching either. Iv'e done a few sets of these and a metal polish plus elbow grease works the best.

These wheels looked the same as the ones the OP posted. OPT metal polish and half an hour of rubbing made them look like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Yeah, DO NOT USE wheel brightener on any exposed raw metal........ its acid.

it would be better IMO to send them to HRE or a wheels shop and have them professionally done.

13. DirtyWeRX

DirtyWeRX DB Forum Supporter

P21S polishing soap?

14. ////AMG

////AMG Two Bucket System Washer

How did your wheels end up in that condition to begin with it? Nice way to ruin a 6-7K set of wheels. Try AG CWC, probably won't do much those rims are like salvage/write off condition lol.

15. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

Did you do anything before using the wheel polish? I have OPT metal polish, PS21 polishing soap, and the polishing cone from mothers.

16. stingray23

stingray23 Jedi Nuba

I wouldnt call them salvage/write off condition. They just need some time with the right products to bring them back to life.

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

18. dr.jay

dr.jay Birth of a Detailer

I agree with kilo, send them back to Hre or a reputable wheel shop. And next time take care of your wheels, no reason for a nice set of wheels to go to shit like this

19. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I cleaned them with regular car wash soap and water before hand.

Give P21S polishing soap a shot first, then OPT metal polish and the polishing cone. Just take your time.

20. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru