Need advice with wheel scratches

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by kav, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kav

kav Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I just took a long road trip and my wheels got pretty dirty. I was away from home and wrorried that the dirty (coarse sand) would get stuck on. I went and bought a wheel brush and some Hot Wheel cleaner. I sprayed the wheels down and scrubbed the wheels with the brush. I guess I wasn't careful enough and they wheels got extremely scratched up. Very fine spiderwebbing all over the spokes.

What is the best way to polish the wheels and get rid of the scratces. I hate the idea of polishing the wheels completely by hand since they are 19" rims with lots of spokes. Currently I have some SIP and Nano Polish, as well as some Zaino ZPC. Should I just start polishing them by hand and if so which polish woudl you guy suggest?

Thanks.

2. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Do you have a dremel?

3. kav

I do have a dremel. Can that be used safely?
    What attachments are needed?
    I've never actually seen instructions on here on how to do this correctly.

4. richy

richy Guest

Whether by hand or by some kind of tool, you'll need to get compound on them somehow. I've never used a dremel either.

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

ues you can get little foam pads for it. Have used it numerous times for this very reason.

6. kav

Do you know what type of foam pad? Which of the polishes that I have would you suggest for the clearcoat on OEM wheels?

7. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

Use a mothers powerball ...if they are clear coat use a fine finish polish..it they are polished metal use a metal polish ....like Mothers or the NXT metal polish..both work great on uncoated metal...

like I said if coated just use a fine finish polish with a powerball if it can get into the areas alright..it will clean them up

Al

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I agree with Al's comments on the wheels, as far as the foam I have for the dremel I will have to do some research because it has been sometime since I purchased them.

9. kav

10. kav

11. kav

Anyone?