Need advice on Winter Wax

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by PTJD, Feb 16, 2008.

1. PTJD

PTJD Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well, I'm rather new to this detailing thing and have a question about some wax.
    My car is black sapphire metallic & the wife's ride is light green metallic.
    Currently I have or will have:
    Z Concours (thanks Phil)
    P Soverain (thanks Diesel)
    VW Red (thanks Canada)
    and a bottle of Collinite 845 using it for protection of my corian counter for the outdoor kitchen (works well).
    I would like to get a wax <$100 that will last a little longer during the winter months and also give that pop to my paint.
    Looking at Titanium, 50/50 and Lusso.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

as far as the waxes I have used for winter protection..I think the collinite waxes do it best...the 915...885 and 845IW..in that order...I apply it in Nov or Oct and it brings me clear into spring no problem...they beat off the salt real nice and that's a wax killer SALT..

I use a sealant under them also...and let the wax be the sacrificial barrier while the sealant is sealing the paint also...

As what i was told Collinite does contain a polymer in it also...so thats the secret to its longevity...

as far as waxes like Zymol...Swissvax...Lusso..I can not comment on them as i have never used them..I will let the users of them chime in...

but all in all..Collinite will go 5 months or better for protecting during the winter....but its not a true wax in the sense of waxes like the zymols..swissies..and lusso...collinite has a nice look esp. the 915..but I do not think it competes with the better beauty waxes as I mentioned above..they are in a class of thier own...true beauty waxes...handcrafted products....

Al

3. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

collinite 476s or 845

megs 16

4. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I agree with the collinite votes for durability

Although, when I think nuba I am not thinking durability and if so it is an after thought. For durability in the winter I would think sealat.

BUT as stated collinite is not joke and it is currently one of the layers on my paints winter selection.

5. PTJD

Thanks all, I still plan on waxing the car ever so often during the winter months. So Collinite would compare to a Titanium/50/50?

6. DieselMDX

DieselMDX Obsessive Detailer

i would say collinite is more durable than titanium/5050

7. PTJD

Diesel, I'm basically looking for a balance. Does not have to last 6 months, maybe 2. But would like a finish close to soverain. Am I asking too much? Or does Collinite fit the bill?

8. Tonya

Tonya Welcome to Detailing

PTJD it is obviously up to you. But Al-53 hooked me up with a sealant and collinite in the fall. I am very pleased!!!! IMO you are lucky if you car looks good for 2 days in the winter... so I leaned more towards durability! That is JMO :shrug: If you have the collinite already why spend the money, :shrug: when you car is doing to be dirty and covered with salt in a few days anyway.

9. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

the collinites are not going to give a SOV look..sorry...2 different animals...SOV is a beauty wax with oils in it to enhance gloss and depth....

Collinite is a wax made of carnauba and polymers....so its no beauty wax...but it does not lack in looks by any means...its made to protect and look good..but no show wax...plus SOV will not hold up 2 weeks in winter...salt will kill it....plus the snow and cold rain....been there

Al

10. PTJD

Tonya, your correct, I'm just too excited with this new hobby and automatically assume Higher price = better product which I know to be untrue.
    But being here at home when it's miserable outside with freezing rain, just wanted to order more detailing supplies!!!:woot:

11. PTJD

Thanks Al. As soon as the weather permits I will try 845.