Need advice - film on windshield

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by MAKDaddy626, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MAKDaddy626

MAKDaddy626 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Ok, so about a month ago, while driving on I-20, an 18-wheeler threw a rock and I ended up getting a new windshield.

The new windshield seems to have some sort of oily(?) film on the outside that I can't seem to get rid off. It's only noticible when it's raining and I turn on the wipers, and more so at night, it quickly disappears after the wiper passes over it. Besides going through several regular washes I've tried...

claying
    Stoner's IG
    K-AIO

anybody else experienced something like this? any ideas of how to get rid of it?

2. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Einzett Glas Polish and a 5.5" glass polishing pad. Apply glass polish, let haze, spritz pad with distilled H20, go to town with PC/UDM. You'll have to keep spritzing with H20...

OR

some type of citrus based cleaner...

OR

new wipers :lol:

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Yep! Polish the windshield and see what that does. Claying only does so much on a windshield...

4. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Ever since I've polished the windshield with that LC glass polishing pad and used Einzett Glas Polish thereafter following a car wash, I've never had to worry about using anything like RainX.

Even in total downpours with big raindrops, the water just turns into tiny beads and I only have to ever use the lowest intermittent setting. 60mph+ on the highway is even better...don't have to use the wipers at all.

5. devast8

devast8 New Member

I also use 1Z Glas polish, but I use it on orange 5.5 low-pro pad or SFX1 with the rotary. I love the stuff! Clean really well.

After that I clean it up then I apply some KAIO

6. MAKDaddy626

MAKDaddy626 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Guess I'll be ordering some Einzett Glas Polish... hmmm seems silly to order just one thing... guess it's time to go shopping!!!

Thanks to everyone.

7. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Silly, yes. I used to be silly all the time...I'd ask myself, "What can I get this week to bring the total up to $75?"

But I'm slowly moving away from that, thank God.

8. Al-53

Al-53 Welcome to Detailing

They use some type of a protectant on new glass...so best is to wipe it down with Alcohol..twice....then polish it ...and clean it....

Al

9. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

I always use that as an excuse to buy more more stuff! :)