Need a QUICK and EFFECTIVE wheel clean routine.

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by m4gician, Mar 21, 2008.

1. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys,

For every wash I find that I spend 10 - 20 minutes washing and scrubbing just the wheels and wheel wells. This is costing me money and it's making me look slow infront of customers.

**Keep in mind this is my opinion of my work**

Before I wash the car, I start with the wheels, what I've been doing is pre-spraying the wheels and tires with my Car wash soap + Amazing Roll off combination (excellent for foaming, stay-on fall off).

Then I rinse each with the PW. Next, I apply a DP wheel cleaner, scrub and PW off.

Is there a way I can cut this down?

2. mShu7

mShu7 Birth of a Detailer

I've found that if I spray the wheels, wells, & tires with the PW first, it does most of the work for me. Then I'll apply a cleaner to everything. I'll let it sit while I wash the car and then when I go to rinse the car, I hit the wheels, wells, & tires again with the PW. Whatever is left (which most of the time is next to nothing, unless the wheels are in bad shape) will come off pretty easily. I can do *most* vehicles like this (again, unless it's in bad shape). If there's any brake dust remaining at the end, usually just hitting it with a dedicated towel at the end takes care of it. This is what I do for all my quickie-type services.

3. richy

richy Guest

I don't think it's an issue of the time..if they're bad..they'll need the work. It sounds like you're worried about what your customers are thinking. If they're standing there watching you, explain what you're doing and how the chemicals in the brake dust are a bitch to clean and how lucky they are that they brought it to you. Mshu7's tip about the pw is good..I always start with the wheels: pw 1st; then one wheel at a time, ARO on the wells, 303 cleaner or Surf City on wheels, barrels, then tires with ARO and scrub tires and wells. Your customers should be impressed by what they see.

4. ehuth1

ehuth1 Birth of a Detailer

Start on the shady side of the vehicle then move to the sunny side. Spray the both wells down with degreaser. Then move to your tire cleaner spray both tires down. Next pick up the pressure wash and spray the tires then wells off. Next work one wheel at a time using wheel cleaner then pressure washer. I prefer Meg's Wheel Brightner on all wheels except magnesium and polished aluminum. I usually get the wheels clean without ever laying a hand on them. I usuallly follow up with a low grade MF towel when applying dressing to catch any spots I missed. I spend maybe 5-10 minutes on everything.

5. m4gician

m4gician Birth of a Detailer

yes sir, but in the end you're right it's worth the time to get it done the right way and explain so that way at least they're there with me alongthe ride.

Oh man, that's true, along with everything else you mentioned. I'm in the market for an easy up canopy as well, I have a bunch of old MF laying around that I'm going to use for this. I have a jar of PB wheel sealant and two bottles of 303 I'm rarin to use soon.