Name that Steam Cleaner!!!

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by eacmonroe, Nov 19, 2012.

1. eacmonroe

eacmonroe Virgin Detailer

So I stumbled upon this video from a bad ass looking detail shop about 4 hours north of me in MI and im wondering what type of steam cleaner they are using in this video!! Any Help would be great as im interested in picking one up!! Thanks [video=youtube;JDWXQfIsaEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JDWXQfIsaEI[/video]

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Not sure but they move fast lol!

3. JBiehl

JBiehl Virgin Detailer

It never shows the unit itself, if you are looking to buy a steamer, dont go for the inexpensive units. I have done quite the research on the machines and the ones that I liked the most and weren't too expensive are the VX5000 and the Unilux 3000. Below are some links to those units. The unilux is relatively cheaper than the VX and they have very comparable stats as far as PSI and such. Attention to details, i believe, also sells the VX5000 and has a video of it at work here http://www.detailingsuccess.com/vapor-steamers.

VX5000 http://www.steam-cleaners-direct.com/
    and
    Unilux 3000

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I agree that the VX5000 is a great machine well worth the price.

6. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

For those with steamers, do you use an extractor when doing carpets and seats?

7. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Like the use of air compressor to lift debris out, great idea. I love my VX5000!

8. JBiehl

JBiehl Virgin Detailer

Others may argue but with the right chemicals like CG's Lightning stain remover you really shouldn't need an extractor but a lot of people use both because lets face it, extractors get the job done. lol

9. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

This is likely an older model Therma-Kleen model T.S. Model 1.5 as seen by the cart at the 1:04 — 1:07 video markers and the handheld gun part.

Not a professional extractor, but I use one. The issue with steamers is that you are driving debris, and cleaning product with high-pressure and high-heat "into" anything you are cleaning. It is best to pull or extract the finished results out of a steamer on the carpet with an extractor. I'm looking to purchase a Mytee or Durrmaid extractor as I believe you lose the compactness of a vapor cleaner when you have a unit that includes both, but that's just me.

The video as a whole thoroughly makes me cringe. The use of unprotected tipped air guns whipping around and even used as pry on the back of a seat compartment. At the 0:31 — 0:41 you see how the vapor cleaner is incorrectly used as they literally dig furrows into the carpet with it. Sad and bad. There's no way in hell I would ever let the group in the video ever work on my vehicles!

10. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

11. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

12. eacmonroe

I have heard alot of Hype on the VX5000, What kind of usage time have you seen with a full tank. I know the time its supposedly calls for, but personal reviews always are the best!

13. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

eacmonroe -

Welcome to the Forum !
    Glad you have had time to dink around, and search things out, as there is a ton of useful information here to glean.

It is a huge responsibility to start a new business in whatever field you choose. Wish you well in your endeavor !

I have had a VX5000 for several years now,and it has been a great tool in my Detailing Business. I looked around at all the ones that have been discussed here, and decided that the VX5000 was the best for my needs and I bought one. It has been a great addition along with my Mytee HP60 Spyder Extractor, and I find that using them both on some areas of a vehicle really enhances the finished product, and helps absolutely remove any moisture (and the dirt it may be holding) right out of the surfaces, and up where I live, really speeds up any drying time that may be needed.

There are a dozen places in any vehicle that I have successfully used the VX5000, and for sheer speed of cleaning and removing that last little bit of stuck-on, whatever at the bottom corner of that deep crevice, cup holder, door pocket, etc., a Steamer will really help move pretty much anything out that doesnt belong there.

Have also found that when discussing the Cleaning/Disinfecting aspect of Steam especially to women, there is always a favorable reaction and this further helps me get their business because they have also done their research and probably use Steam in their homes for cleaning.

It is also worth noting that Renny Doyle who has a very successful track record of Detailing and now mostly trains Detailers, has videos in his Shop and the only uses the VX5000. He has also developed a special wrap for the entire hose length that he sells, that does a great job of protecting it and actually since is smooth, will allow the hose to go over obstacles much easier and not have the ridges hang up on stuff.

I can fill my water tank in my VX5000 once and pretty much do an entire Interior of a 3-row SUV before i have to think about refilling. Since everyone who has one will have their own system and use this tool for all of these things and only this long, it is pretty much impossible to say it will go xxx long before it needs refilling. What if you use it for all the door jambs and they are really nasty? Then you will use more water than if you just concentrated on the Interior and it was not really dirty like a soccer Mom's Escalade who has 5 kids with half that are still toddlers, and they eat and spill everything in the car..

To sum my experiences up with this machine, it works great, have had no problems, it always works, I only use Distilled water in it, and periodically run some Distilled White Vinegar through it, and I only use a couple of tools of the large amount of tools that this one came with. It even does an awesome job inside of dirty ovens too.

I have written a few tips on how to get started and I will not anymore bore everyone with how I did it. l hope you will find your way and all will go well for you !

Good luck !
    Dan F

14. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Love my VX5000. Can easily do a 4 door and still have water left to do other vehicles. Its a GREAT introductory steamer. Use it wisely, the steam isn't the mos important aspect. Gotta get the right tools & ideas to use it.

And yes extractors are still the best for carpets, however for me its hard stomaching 600+ machine that does 5% of the vehicle. All depends on your market. I have 80% of my clients who don't do interiors and they're happy.

15. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I have the VC3000, which is just another version of the Unilux3000. I found it on Craigslist for 1/2 the original price and it was only used a few times. The guy bought out someones carpet cleaning/tile cleaning business and said he got it brand new with the deal. He used it 3 times and it sat for almost a year. Steal!!

If you're a professional, you need this ASAP. It'll save you time/money and increase your hourly rates. I no longer "extract" carpets for quick details and now charge more for extraction. I think people claiming they sold their extractor or never use it after buying a steamer are ridiculous. Just because it looks clean, doesn't mean it is. Spread some dirt thinly over your carpets at home and see how "clean" they'll look. I've done many tests once I bought my steamer and it's impossible to truly clean anything with just steam/towels. It'll take forever and a LOT of rags.

Check out my video on the LGM. I tried explaining how wiping stuff down doesn't do jack. Quick maintenance cleanings? Yes, I would not break out the extractor for them. But, if you're doing a detailed cleaning, you need an extractor.

http://youtu.be/vTH2_3WdZdA

16. eacmonroe

Well that about sums up exactly what im looking for! Thanks for the great responses. I would say 80% of my clientele is interior based... and i have used the hell out of my MyteeLite II, but knew its time for a steamer.... APC and a detailing brush can get frustrating.. haha.

17. eacmonroe

Thanks alot and awesome info!

18. QUENGA

QUENGA Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Get an attachment for a PC. It makes scrubbing/agitation a freggn breeze. Saves your hands/wrists. Phil sells a kit for a 3" polisher, if I didn't already have a spare, I would have bought this. I do a lot of really bad interiors, too, and this made my life a lot easier and faster. Easier/faster = more money.

Good luck! Remember to post your experiences!