Nail Polish on leather

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by pektel, Sep 23, 2010.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

How would you go about removing it? Don't know what would be effective, and safe on the leather. It is in a Lincoln LS. No suede or anything like that.

Thoughts? Don't have a steamer. I was almost thinking some paint thinner on an MF, but don't know if that would adversely affect the leather.

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

What about nail polish remover followed up with some leather cleaner/conditioner?

BTW, I got that towel out to you yesterday.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Thanks bud. Your stuff is headed out today. It took me forever too :sorry:

4. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

It's cool man, no hard feelings. It took us both a while, so no one is at fault.

5. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Nail polish is basically a paint that has recoated the leather.
    Sometimes it will simply peel off if you can get hold of an edge.
    Using a solvent (acetone or nail polish remover) is sometimes successful but would nearly always remove the pigment/finish as well so this would then need to be replaced. This cannot be replaced with the use of 'conditioners'.
    On occasions the solvent will strip the pigment around the polish without removing the nail polish which leaves a patch. In these cases the only option is to recolour and refinish the area. The surface may need sanding if the polish has left a raised area. The loss of grain pattern can be rectified as you recoat with colour.

Hope this helps

6. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

Judy b from DW fame. Thanks for the info. I need to get some stuff off of you. I forgot u were on this forum.

7. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I'd maybe try Tarminator. I know that can help with ink transfer.