n00b waxing question

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by bonehead, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

I busted out the Swissvax Zuffenhausen the other day after a very bug ridden 200 mile drive followed by a good washing. I've only waxed this car once before, but I don't recall how exactly I did it. Thinking it was similar to sealant (i.e. coat entire car, then buff off with MF), I waxed the entire car and THEN proceeded to buff it out....big mistake. It dried to a haze and was IMPOSSIBLE to get off. Typical 100 degree desert evening, so I didn't think the stuff would dry so fast. Massive cursing ensued. I ended up having to 'soften' it up with some ONR QD.

First off, how many panels do you guys typically wax before buffing it off?

Second, did I diminish the longevity of the wax layer by buffing it off with the aid of some QD?

2. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Wax basically til each panel dries to a haze. I do my entire car then go back and buff off with a MF cause the weather here isnt completely backing at night.

You shouldnt aid buffing off wax with a QD, as the QD has glossing agents and stuff liek that. Some waxes are harder to buff off than others. Thats life I guess??????

3. ltebow34

ltebow34 Birth of a Detailer

With oily wax in less than dry cool temps, do panel, work on 2nd panel then remove from first and remove from second..

then you can check your first panel to see if the drying caused hazing and rebuff.

Its different in different weather but like he said sometimes its the QD and sometimes it just happens.

Most waxes are easy to work with when its cool and dry and only get messed when its humid and warm

4. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys. Last time I used this wax, I remember it going on and coming off very easily. But it was considerably cooler out back then. It's been unusually humid here. That coupled with the heat probably didn't help matters.
    I'll just stick with 1-2 panels at a time. Thanks again.

5. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I recently did my wife's SUV with Swissvax Saphir, but did park it inside in the garage. It was probably around 90F, did the whole thing, and then buffed it off. Worked a treat.

6. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Garage would have been worse. When the sun starts goes down, it's actually about 10-15 degrees hotter in there than outside.