My turn for some advice.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Reflect, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Recently, well actually the past like 2-3 years, I've kind of felt I've been in a rut. Day in and day out I feel I get more lethargic, especially with classes and all. I don't think I'm depressed at all, but I feel like I'm always tired and always bothered by something. I feel like lately I'm just going through the motions and all that. It's strange, years back I was supposed to be smart and I was in advanced classes, and now I second guess myself all the time. I've had trouble getting to the gym, trouble with managing my time and studying and all that. Not a good place to be.:shakehead: Any advice?

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hi Reflect, This is your friend Buddy. I have been dealing with depression all my life and have been on medicine most of it too. Depression has many faces. Many of which you would never figure to be depression. As I read your plee. This is what depression is. I would like to commend you for taking notice that something isn't right and maybe a trip to your doctor will start you on a new path. I'm not saying that it is depression. I'm just saying you shouldn't rule it out. Good luck, Bro...:thumb:

3. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

i have dealt with depression my whole life. don't be afraid to go talk to someone.. no matter how smart people are they need guidance..it could be a medical issue too..some people have deficiencies from eating habits or genetics that make them tired or runned down..avoid anti depressants at all costs and try to have some fun!!!! i would go talk to someone. and mix up your routine if it is the same all the time of course your gonna get bored..mix it up go to some concerts or sporting events.. i was a psych major it sounds like you need to have a sit down with a pro..but not all pro's give good advice..try not to think about it and stay active!!! it sounds like your busy at times then have a lot of time on your hands and don't know what to do b/c your tired.. i would check to see if you have a deficiency with minerals or other chemicals..from a medical doctor of course..then if all checks out ok stay busy and try to stay physically active.. it will help. sounds like you just need to push yourself a little bit to find new things b/c your bored with the old. they have life coaches which many if not most of the top CEO's in the world have to help them manage their lives and what they want to get out of them. .. their is a fine line between genius and insanity..some of us are too smart for our own good and don't know what to do with all the brains so we need a lil guidance. if you are open minded things will work out. good luck buddy

4. Kron

Kron Two Bucket System Washer

Have you been to see your Doctor lately? When I was around 17-18 I experienced pretty much the same symptomns and I was diagnosed with a Thyroid condition. Its more common than you'd think and is easy to diagnose with a blood test.

5. Reflect

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses and the length of them, as well as the information they had. I'll probably wind up seeing a doctor. If I do have depression, it's definitely not as bad as some of the cases I've seen, so no worries.

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Keep your head up bro. It can only get better.

7. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

Reflect, I have counseled people with depression for twenty-five years. I strongly encourage you to see your physician. As Kron notes, one should first rule out a physical explanation for your lethargy. Your doctor will probably want to give you a full physical. Once a physical explanation is ruled out, then the question of depression needs to be addressed. Read up all you can about the condition. It is a condition that can be effectively treated in many people. Do not think of it as a moral or character weakness; think of it as equivalent to any other medical condition. Just as some people come down with diabetes, some people come down with depression. Depression is a mysterious condition, but we do know that it has a physiological component, which is why anti-depressant medications are often so effective. Be of good courage, be hopeful, and see your doctor.

8. Brian N

Brian N Jedi Nuba

Interesting I have felt the same way since I graduated HS.... I was as in advanced placement and honors classes and scored in the 99th percentile in all my placement testing. Like you the last 2-3 years since I have graduated have seemed very strange. I too have started to question my smarts when I never used too before. I was not enjoying school, and was not going to the gym or exercising to the extent I used too.

Recently things have gotten better for me. I have transferred out of the University I was in and went back into a community college so I can transfer to a state college. I found that I was clearly not happy at the university I was at. It was affecting my social life, my self esteem everything. I did not get along with the students there the teachers seemed really distant and unfriendly. So I decided something needed to change. Since the move to a smaller college I feel like my life is starting to come back together. I am feeling more confident, more social and all together more happy. I am also starting to believe that I am a smart person again I am not back to the levels I was before, but it is getting there.

Another factor that may be helping is that at this community college I am also engaging in team sports. Which I have done all my life, but stopped when I went to the big university.

Hope some of my experiences help you out.

9. richy

richy Guest

Boy, there's been some good advise here. This time of year doesn't help either. I hate the god-damned winter...i hate the god damned snow. I hate the god damned cold. But, I live in Canada (at least I'm in the snow belt of Canada), so there's not much I can do. That's why when we get a break in the temp and it gets in the 40's like it did today, I try to get out in my garage, break out a stogie, and wash my car. It's definitely cathartic for me! I took the day off to go to the NAIAS which was cool too. You mentioned missing the gym. I know that's part of my problem lately too. It snowballs too, you know. The more out of shape you get (or feel), the harder it is to get back into it. Maybe go at a different time or something. I know even the 1st time back, I feel better. Do one set for every member you can think of on DB while you're there..that'll wear you out! Best of luck to you!

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

There is also another condition known as Dysthymic Disorder, which is a low level depression (does not rise to the level of Major Depression). It is diagnosed in adults when the symptoms last for at least 2 years. Now, with that said, my advise would be that you go see a medical doctor first for a full physical to rule out an organic cause for your symptoms. There are many organic conditions such as an underactive thyroid that can cause symptoms that mimic a mental health condition like depression. If everything checks out well physically, go see a psychotherapist first unless you are feeling so bad that you can't stand it and you want immediate relief, then a psychiatrist can prescribe some anti-depressants (but still use in conjunction with psychotherapy). Depression, dythymic disorder, and many other mood disorders respond very well to psychotherapy, especially to cognitive-behavioral therapy. Don't fall for the common mistake of simply getting anti-depressants from a general MD as this will not help you manage situations that could have given rise to the condition nor will medication shield you from future re-occurrences. Psychotherapy will help you build stronger coping skills and it has been found to be as effective and often even more effective than medication alone. Depending on the degree of the problem, medication with psychotherapy could the most effective way to go. Good luck to you.

11. Reflect

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate it.

12. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

ever try jogging? its amazing!

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

All good advice so far.

When you do see your doctor, don't be closed-minded to the notion of going on an anti-depressant. Not only that, if the first one you try doesn't work, go back to the doctor, and try a different one. People react differently to medications, so what works for John Doe may not work for you.

14. kanz

kanz Virgin Detailer

You received some great advice!! It took me 4 diffrent medications before I found the one that worked.