My small house remodel project

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by wagonproject, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Probably will be slow progress as I have a lot of other projects going on and will be as money and time allow as my 22 year old self is not rich, lol. This was my grandpas house and where my dad grew up. When my grandpa bought this house the whole house was full of grain. You couldn't even open a door, it went through a upstairs window. When he died I put his money back into the house and had the outside resided, all new Anderson windows and a new roof. Rented it out for few years after that and finally the renter moved out, well was behind on rent and left the place trashed. Pics are how he left it and not much was updated inside from when my grandpa had it. First Ill be putting new carpeting down and hopefully removing the paneling and dry-walling. Also redoing the bath is high on the list. These pics were taken about a week ago.

[​IMG]
    The right hand side of the house in the next pic where it slopes down and you see the two offset windows is where there use to be a one car garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bill Davidson

Bill Davidson Virgin Detailer

It looks like a fun project. Nice starter house for a 22 year old. You'll learn some great reno skills as you go along.

I like the big driveway, double garage and space around the property.

I'm sure your Grandpa would be proud of you!

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Nice, look foward to seeing this one progress. Any way you can replace those two single doors with one big door?

4. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Thanks! Yeah it sits on 60 acres of open field so its nice. I'm sure they would be proud and sad at the same time. Grandma would be kicking my butt for tearing out her precious wood paneling and tile ceiling in the living room and bedroom, lol.

Thanks! I just redid what my grandpa had then. At 18 I wasn't thinking about a nice huge garage door for detailing, lol. I would love to put in one large door, but I would like to finish the inside first, though I am going to either hang new drywall or repair the existing int their to make a nice detailing place.

There is a huge barn off to the side also that I had redone, but it is full of my grandpas old tractors and old farm equipment.

Here's my progress as of today....

Been working on it after work when I can. Been working on the living room and what my grandparents used as a bedroom though it doesn't have a closet. May try to put one in under the stairs that go upstairs as the wall is right behind the bedroom. Progress as of a hour or so ago.

Living room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bedroom before this morning
    [​IMG]

Bedroom now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both ceilings had a cardboard like tile that was glued to the old drywall which came down pretty easy and made it a lot easier to pull the drywall down.
    [​IMG]

The upstairs floor which looks like 1x3 or such, though it was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

The old paneling
    [​IMG]

It was easier to just use the wrecking bar and pull the old drywall ceiling down. Ill take the nails out of the floor joist later as it will be much easier now. But I've been taking out all the nails out of the drywall on the walls with a "crows foot" or some name like that tool as it goes pretty fast and I can just take the walls down in sheets.

5. I think your house will be awesome. Not to mention there will be no note. Smart young man :thumb:

6. GDAL

GDAL Guest

22 years old and with a house ... my friend, you are a lucky man!!

7. P1et

He'll have a Porsche 911 Turbo in the drive in no time...

8. If he would sock away/invest 700-800 dollars a month he would be a millioniare before 40 :hmph:

9. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Very cool project....

You are going to have a bunch of sweat equity in that place quick!

10. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wow. can't wait to see the ending results.

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Congrats!!! You might wanna consider tile floor instead of carpet...
    I bought my house at age of 26...

as long as you don't give it away to wall street...:deadhorse:

12. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

lol, I plan to put most of my money this year back into the house with a little put away. First of the year I plan to start putting it away in the bank though.

Tonight's progress. All the drywall is down. The walls came down in sheets as I took out all the nails which made it easy. Just took them down and cut them into 3 pieces so it was easier to carry. The wall between the living room and bedroom had paneling on both sides with wall paper over the paneling so I wasn't able to remove the nails. So I just busted the wall out. That's whats all over the floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

Haven't done a lot due to cutting grass in the fields and working on the backhoes and front end loaders. Got the living room and bedroom cleaned up. In the bathroom there is a door with a stairway that leads to the basement that I am going to get rid of. The bedroom is on the other side of the stairs so I am removing the stairs to the basement and going to build a closet where they are. I figure even if it only can have a 36-40" some door due to the stairs going to the upstairs its still better then having no closet at all in the bedroom. But more then likely the inside opening will be larger as I can go under the upstairs stairs a little more. Hopefully the closet will be started this week as I got the wood earlier this week. Here is a little MS Paint drawing I did real quick so you can kind of see what I mean.

[​IMG]

And how it sits now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking into the bathroom from the dining room. The door on the right leads to the basement.
    [​IMG]

Stairs before.
    [​IMG]

Stairs now.
    [​IMG]

14. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

My small update.

Looking from the bedroom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the basement.
    [​IMG]

And redid my quick MS paint drawing to get an idea of how the house sits.
    [​IMG]

15. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

your land and driveway is very big.
    how much is then land/house worth?

16. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

I couldn't tell you off hand what it was appraised at. I'd have to look back at our paperwork. Its just a small part of the farm though.

Been busy cutting and baling hay, but my small update.

Got the wall between the bathroom and closet framed in. I had to build 2 separate walls since the wall is so thick there from when the addition was put on. I will insulate the walls to help keep noise down from the bathroom.

Looking from the dining room.
    [​IMG]

Looking from the bedroom where I also got the closet doorway roughed in.
    [​IMG]

I also had to add another sheet of wood to the floor to bring it up level with the existing floor.
    [​IMG]

17. Bentley

Bentley Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Awesome project! Subscribed to keep track of what your new house is going to look like. :thumb:

BTW, I'm a designer. Let me know if you're interested in having some 3D renderings done. I'd offer to draw up your plans, but I do not know the building codes for Michigan State and your local municipality.

Here's a couple sample of my work. This is still unfinished and needs some tweaking after receiving feedback from my client. (Fences are not uniform as to show different styles, but now my client would prefer to build a low 3-4ft stone wall instead)
    [​IMG]

And a small bedroom in the lower floor of her house. (I still need to add lighting effects to this)
    [​IMG]

18. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

Wagon, my hat's off to you!! That's awesome that someone as young as you are has the initiative to take on such a big project. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Keep up the great work.

Question, how old is the electrical work in the home? If it's outdated, are you going to have it worked on since you have most of the sheet rock off?

19. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

exactly what i was thinking. progress looks great so far though. have you by chance had a code inspector out to take a look at things yet? replacing the electrical will be a little pricey, but definitely a worthwhile investment in the long run. also, i was looking at the supports you placed under the flooring where you "deleted" the basement stairs....i would recommend supporting that more sufficiently. at the minimum i would place the appropriate sized hangers around the two by's or whatever they are to support their connections to the framing. also, trussing the gaps between the major supports at a 45 degree angle woudlnt be a bad idea either, just to be safe.

20. P1et

This thread is going to be wicked. Impressive so far!