My new garage!

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by P1et, Jun 5, 2008.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Evenin',

Since there was no "my garage" section here on DB, I put this under "Tools and Accesories" since I guess this is probably the most expensive tool I will own for detailing now! As you all might know, my wife and I recently bought a home but it did not have a garage. Of course, I made sure there was a way we could BUILD a garage. Thought I'd share a few pics of the progress that we're making. I originally wanted to build a double garage, but since I have to be 10 feet of the back fence, that would take up too much of my land. So I went with 1.5 instead. It will be 22 feet long and 18 feet wide with a 12 foot door. In front, there will be a carport that will be another 22 feet long and 12 feet wide. That way, one car can be inside and the other can stand underneath the carport. Or, I can probably squeeze two in the garage as is, but then there probably isn't room for much else. The trusses of the roof will be a bit steeper than that of the house (for storage reasons), but for the rest it should match the house.

This is what it looked like after we cut down two trees. You can see some of the stumps next to my fire pit, nothing too bad.
    [​IMG]

These guys work QUICK! When I came back from work, everything had already been dug out, covered with plastic and they were working on putting the rebar in.
    [​IMG]

Rebar all done, ready for the pouring of the slab!
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned!

2. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

That's awesome piet, can't wait to see the finished product!!! So u gonna have a little detail get together to break her in??

3. P1et

It's funny you mention that, that's something that my wife is NOT thrilled about. She is excited for me to have a garage, but she doesn't want me to start detailing cars left and right at our house. I guess I'll have to keep it civil, hahahaha!!!

I am also looking for good themes and color schemes, so if anyone has any cool pics or websites they can share for me to get some ideas, let me know!

4. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Get the standard B/W tile floor and if you have a logo for yourself paint it on top of the tile :)

Or put a small quote in the beginning tile pieces, something like, "come in dirty, go out clean" or something :p

Just throwing out ideas haha

5. Usjdmtuner

Usjdmtuner Wax on..Wax off

oh wow congrats bro... i know i have to have 3 car garage but yours looks like an awesome spot... cant wait to see it finished

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Congrats P1et! I hope everything works out smoothly and it comes out exactly like you want it.

7. sly

sly Birth of a Detailer

Congration P1et:applause2: looking forward to see when it complete:applause2:

8. richy

richy Guest

Congrats P1et..I've got an idea for your quote "Cars are not like women..I can take a dirty one and make her clean". :)

9. RussECU

RussECU DB Forum Supporter

Looking good Piet! Is it going to be heated and a/c? Kegerator? TV with surround sound? You know the must haves.

10. Smith2287

Smith2287 Welcome to Detailing

Wow P1et, that is awesome I can't wait to see more progression Pics and of course, the finals!!!

11. IanB

IanB Two Bucket System Washer

Looks like the dream realized, however, I am wondering why you needed the re-bar. I have a slab about that size on a prepared surface of sand etc. without rebar and at 4" thick it is holding a 5klb boat year round without any problems. Just wondering what the re-bar thoughts were?

Thanks
    IB

12. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Awesome! :)

13. P1et

I believe that adding rebar to any slab is standard practice here. A soil sample was taken by the engineering company, and this is what their recommendation was. The structure will be inspected by the engineering company again befor their actually pour the concrete. But this slab should hold a train!

And don't forget, all those gallons of CG and Meguiars stuff can start adding up!!! I need to be able to support that!

14. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Congrats you are going to love having a garage. I am going to put AC in mine today since the temps are already at 100 for the next 7 days. I wish I had done one large door for my 2 car garage instead of 2 standard doors. Try and think of every single thing you could possibly want in your garage and do it now... a lot easier to do it now than try and add it later.

15. P1et

Yep, I just called my contractor and upgraded from a 12 foot door to a 16 foot door. BINGO!!!

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Very cool can't wait to see it all done. I love having a garage that is actually big enough to hold storage and a car lol

17. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

Can't wait to see more pics! Congrats on the new garage. Now time to decorate that thing with DB banners! Nica? ;)

18. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

LOL.... what kind of floor are you going to lay down? Epoxy or something of the sort.

And maybe think about adding a drainage in the center of the garage so maybe you can ONR on the inside!

If you're gonna go concrete maybe get it stained an awesome color

19. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Congrats!!!!!!

When I was doing more then a few details at the house, the wife asked how much it would cost to build a one car garage out back. I told her since we have the space it would have to be a 2-3 car garage and it would be in the $25-30k range with lift, heat , AC ect. End of conversation. :)

20. P1et

Good question. I am toying with the idea of going the route that Pirex took, but that will be a bit more than I'd want to spend. As this point, I'm probably going to paint it with that special garage paint. Just something that will make it easy to hose out and clean, yet still look good.

This project is going to cost me about half of what you quoted above, but then again, I won't have a lift, heat/AC or anything like that. It'll be basic, but hardcore!

The rebar should be getting inspected today, hopefully we'll pour early next week.