My new collection and first detail tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by mharris2007, Dec 31, 2010.

1. mharris2007

mharris2007 Two Bucket System Washer

i Guys,

Been reading here for a while. I recently purchased a pretty good detailing kit from Phil after exchanging literally 120 emails with him. I'm going to be trying to fully detail my wife's 2003 lexus IS 300 for the first time tomorrow. The car has pretty bad water spots, some swirling, but has been relatively well taken care of by me for the last 5 years.

My collection consists of a new PC 7424CP, 2 surbuf pads, 2 uber yellow/orange/green/blue/black pads, M105, Menzerna 203 power finish, Menz 85RD, Menz Power Power Lock, Collinite 915, foam applicators, sonax wheel cleaner, prima tire dressing, adam's in and out spray, adam's apc, 3M adhesive remover, Stoner Tarminator, uber clay bar kit, ONR clay lube, opticlean, adam's car wash, 1Z cockpit, wheel armour, gilmour foam gun, 3 uber wafle weave drying towels, lots of MF towels, uber sponge, dread lock chenille MF wash mit, Grit Guard bucket x 2, leatherique pristine clean/rejuvinator, etc.

Anywho, my plan was to wash with adam's car wash via foam gun, then wash with dawn, dry, clay, 50/50 IPA wipe down. After that I was going to start with the PC with the uber green pad, and some Menz 203 and see what I get. I'm hoping to be able to go 203 then 85RD then power finish, then collinite. Anybody ever done a Lexus IS 300 before? Any help or tips woudl be great. I'll also post this in the polishing section.

Next up is my 2005 BMW M3 with only 12,000 miles on it and my dads 2003 Ford F150! Thanks so much.

Attached Files:

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Welcome to DB looks like you posted the same thread twice. Why are you going to go from 203S to 85RD and then back to 203S that doesn't make any sense man. Also why are you going to use 915 when you have Powerlock. I would rather use Powerlock x2 than 915 but that me. Dont forget to do IPA wipe downs after polishing a section and an entire IPA wipe down after the first stage of polishing is completed, same goes for the following stages.

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Great collection you have there!

Believe it or not, I'd choose 845 over Menz Powerlock any day. Powerlock just doesn't last as long for how much it costs.

4. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Its 915 that he has though not 845 not sure if their is much of a difference. I think Powerlock is more pleasant to work with thats why i would choose it.

5. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Looking good. Starting out with a bang!!!!!

Although one question. What kinda towel is that in the box. The orange with the green stripes?? Target towel??

6. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Welcome :thumb:

7. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

Awesome collection, and welcome

8. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Welcome!!

9. mharris2007

Hi guys. Thanks for the warm welcome. I meant to say 85RD to PL not PF again. My mistake. Yeah the towels on top are the target towels for wheels, engine, and the like. I have lots of MF from DD for the important stuff.

I had a long talk with phil about LSP's and he said that PL x 1 or 2 followed by collinite 915 would provide long lasting protection and results, that's why I got it. My wife's car lives outside so long term durability and protetion was most important to me. Like I said, this is my first shot at this, and all help is welcomed.

I posted in the "now that you're here" section too because I thought that's where you're supposed to post for your first thread?

Anywho, today's the day. I have 12-14 hours dedicated today to get some stuff done. The wife is going to chip in and help with the interior too, so that should help a bit. I'll try to snap some before and after pictures with my Iphone and get them up here in the next few days. Wish me luck!

10. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

Looks like you're off to a good start with the products. Enjoy!!!

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

PL is good stuff, im running x2 coats on my STi. I really not worried about overall durability because I always add to my sealant, at least once a month. So that keeps it fresh. Good choices on products. Phil is a good resource.

Good luck on the detail

12. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Welcome to DB and it looks like Phil set you up with the goods to get to to a great finish. Key is take your time. Looking forward to seeing the out come.

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

sounds great. That is one heck of a first buy collection. Looking forward to seeing some photos of all the vehicles. Just one thing though . . . . you have a 2005 M3 with 12,000 miles on it? It's suppose to be the ultimate driving machine so drive it LoL! Love the M3's though. When you are polishing just remember that:

Menzerna 203 ( Power Finish) is mor aggressive then Menzerna 85rd so you will do your correction with the 203 and if needed you will finish up/jewel the paint with Menzerna 85RD on a black,blue or red pad.

Happy Detailing & Happy New Year

14. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Ok sound good man I was worried there for a minute. Phil is very knowledgeable so go with what he told you. Best of luck and have fun detailing the IS:) Happy New years!

15. maxepr1

maxepr1 Jedi Nuba

Mharris, Lexus paints are fairly ease to correct. Depending on the condition of your paint(RIDS, Holo's,water spots) you may not need to start out with 105. Have you tried vinegar on some of those spots? Or are they etched down into the paint? Also don't touch the paint with those Vroom towels, especially the Lexus. I have found that they mar softer paints! And Lexus paint I would consider to be soft paint. If this vehical is left outside 24/7 I would put at least 2x PL and a monthly coat of 915.

16. mharris2007

Hi guys!! Thanks so much for the support. My plan was to run the power lock and after a wash apply the collinite 915. We'll see how the plan works out.

92vtec: yeah I went big on my first buy just to be sure I had everything :) shockingly I used almost everything I bought on the detail. I'm going to do a write up on the detail in a new thread though. I just bought the m3. It was previously not driven by someone else (to my delight); I've been driving it, amazing car too.

Danny: I went with what Phil recommended and it turned out really well.

Cubs fan: thanks for your help. I trailed a section on the hood with the worst water stains with 203 on a green under and it laughed at it. Then I went to m105 on a surbuf pad and got out the majority of the water spots. U can still see the etching of the water spots in the right light but not as bad. I didn't have a paint gauge and didn't want to keep 105ing it at the risk of strike through. It seemed to turn out well for my level of experience. There are still the severe rids u can see in certain lights, but like I said, I didn't want to chase it for fear of strike through and removing too much. Sorry for any misspellings, I'm on my iPhone.

I'm hoping to get around my m3 with just the 85rd. It's in pretty good shape. I'll post some pics before I start on that one to get some advice.

17. mharris2007

Here's a few pics after a wash with ONR 4 days after the PL was applied, and now a coat of collinite 915. That stuff is pretty nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Looks awesome!

19. mharris2007

Thanks bro. I posted pics of the prima Nero on the interior surfaces on that stoners vs Nero thread if u were still interested.

Matt

20. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

Very Nice! Looks fantastic!