My homebrew project

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by SDMDChris, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SDMDChris

SDMDChris Birth of a Detailer

I have not been on here in a LOOOOOOOONG time =[

But let me cut to the chase! I'm playing around with doing my own homebrew. Inspired by Bouncer's #22 and Rubish Boys :thumb:

Tonight I got most of my ingredients in and decided to give batch #1 a whirl. I'm still waiting on a few more ingredients but I decided to play around a bit to get the hang of it. I have so much damn time into researching the best combinations so I will be doing MANY test batches!!!

Here's some progress so far!

T1 Brazillian Carnauba wax flakes
    White bee's wax
    Turpentine for the solvent
    Coconut oil

Those are what I have in right now and can make a basic carnauba wax. I have more stuff on the way but those will be a secret :p:

[​IMG]

'Nuba and beeswax melting
    [​IMG]

Melted!
    [​IMG]

Added oils and solvent
    [​IMG]

Everything melted time for cooling!
    [​IMG]

Now to wait! Onto batch #2!!!
    [​IMG]

I'll keep you guys posted!!!

2. SDMDChris

Trial #2 is cooling now as well. I'll report back in the AM!

Going to hold off doing anymore until ALL of my ingredients get here!

3. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Awesome

4. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

5. stottie

stottie Birth of a Detailer

cant wait to see your results

6. SDMDChris

I actually read through that a few days ago! Did you end up with a formula you liked? My first two batches have cool but they feel muuuuch too hard to use, but I'll check them out in the morning. Wanna shoot me any tips? :nod:

It will be...quite interesting lol

Batch #1
    25g carnauba
    30g coconut oil
    10g bees wax
    30ml Turpentine

Batch #2
    20g carnauba
    30g coconut oil
    10g bees wax
    35ml Turpentine

Both seem a bit hard right now but I will test them both in the morning to see where I need to go with curing time and such. Got to soften them up a bit but I'm still waiting on red palm oil, linseed oil, paraffin wax and some other neat ingredients =D

7. bryansbestwax

Take what oils you think you need and double it. The oils end up more important than the solvents from what I had seen. Solvents will allow you you have the wax in a broken down state and the oils made it softer and easier to use.

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

8. bryansbestwax

Bees wax is very sticky and I used it in smaller amounts. That made a big difference.

sent using my thumbs, mispelling most words

9. SDMDChris

I'll give that a shot! Thanks!

10. hostage1978

hostage1978 DB Forum Supporter

Can't wait to see some results

11. ModdedMach

ModdedMach Birth of a Detailer

I agree with previous posts, i think more oils will be needed to make it softer. Check out Montan oil and almond oil, i think those are popular in higher end waxes.

Im interested in Homebrew, where do you order your ingredients from? Does Dodo supply them?

12. SDMDChris

Gave batch one and two a test not expecting much, both were much too hard for a useable wax but has a nice creamy texture. Once I broke it apart it melted nicely in my hands and it applied nicely. took MUCH too long to haze I think (roughly15ish min). I checked the status of some of my other supplies and they should be here by Monday So I will mess around with some more formulas and look for a way to soften the wax and do some more batches when my other stuff comes in!

13. SDMDChris

Yeah I've certainly got to up the oils for sure, I have some different kinds coming in soon, as well as Paraffin wax which will be used to soften it a lot. I am also going to be using some wax emulsifiers.

Dodo Juice does not supply anything. I've gotten all my supplies off various websites, Amazon.com has a lot of the main ingredients. Soap or candle making websites will have most of the stuff too.

14. ModdedMach

really? i would think it would be hard to get a hold of pure brazilian yellow nuba. I guess not, lol, amazon FTW.

Once you get the Parraffin, id also check out coconut oil, very cool stuff, solid at room temperature but MELTS as soon as you touch it, that may help with your wax hardness.

Any reason you havent upped the Carnuaba% to something higher? Im guessing its something to do with the hardness of pure nuba, That parafin will help you get a higher amount of carnauba in the wax and still maintain a nice softness.

Have you looked at the ingredients in Zymol Glasur? Amazing wax man, all natural ingredients, melts like butter on the paint and beads like CRAZY. They list the ingredients on the website you may wanna check it out for ideas.

15. teak

teak Birth of a Detailer

Come in expecting DODO.

16. SDMDChris

Some of the ingredients are a PITA to find in smaller quantities but if you look around you can find them I used coconut oil in the first two batches but I'm guessing I didn't use enough. I'm going to shoot for 25g-29g carnauba content. That the amount found in most waxes. I'll be able to up it once I get some more of my stuff in. And yes I've been on the zymol website, like I said I have many more ingredients on the way, most of which I ordered because of what they listed in their ingredients. My final formula will have very similar ingredients to Atlantique, Destiny and Concours.

17. SDMDChris

But found something better! lol. I was first inspired after doing my Dodo Juice homebrew kit!

18. SDMDChris

Just ordered some more stuff. So here's a list of all the ingredients I have and will be using in my batches.

T1 carnauba flakes
    white bees wax flakes
    paraffin wax flakes
    turpentine
    coconut oil
    red palm oil
    orange oil
    emulsifying wax
    Montan wax
    mango extract
    sunflower oil
    cantaloupe oil
    honey dew extract
    strawberry extract
    pure glycerin
    propolis
    cinnamon bark oil
    banana oil
    oil of clove
    cetyl esters
    cetyl cocamide
    almond oil
    cinnamon oi

19. ModdedMach

Good man, cant go wrong with a Zymol Recipe.

Jesus, stuff must be cheap. Good move on the montan wax

Hows about dibbs on the first free sample? hahaha

20. SDMDChris

Not really cheap but not expensive. I've got about $400 into it so far.

Once I get closer to a final formula ill be sending out samples for people to try an give me their thoughts!