My first headlight repair...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by P1et, Jan 10, 2012.

1. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

My friend has had his Accord since he bought it new and has since put over 200K miles on it. He's doing a slight TLC project on it currently: replacing the worn steering wheel, new tint, etc. Just freshed it up a bit since it's 100% an outside car that's daily driven. The headlights were really letting the car down, so I recommended he order the 3M kit from Amazon to see if it was worth anything. Hey, it's only $13 so what's there to lose but an hour of your and $13...

I have to say I was impressed with it. I don't recommend a cordless drill because even with two battery packs, you'll run out of juice. A corded drill would be better. Apart from that, a nice kit that would would recommend to anyone looking to repair their headlights. And I didn't use the 3M compound, I used M105 for the last step. And since my drill ran out of battery packs, just put that little 3M orange pad on my PC and went to town with it. Check out the before and afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Nice work! I just did the same exact car, only the customer provided a Turtle Wax Headlight restoration kit. I didn't think it would work that well, but it actually did a great job and that was 6 months ago.

3. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

That came out great !!!!!!!!!

4. Gale Force

Gale Force Obsessive Detailer

Awesome results! Well worth the $13 and time spent! They look new again! Thanks for the review.

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Cool. Thanks for the info. I might have to try this!

6. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

looks great you just need to top it with some spar urethane!

7. teak

teak Birth of a Detailer

great turn around. Could the kit be used with the PC as opposed to a drill?

8. frankiman

frankiman Birth of a Detailer

wont work with german headlight tho, their plastic is so hard, you need wet-sanding first.

9. detaildude3629

detaildude3629 Birth of a Detailer

Where could i find out more about the product you memtioned spar urethane??

10. P1et

No, unfortunately not. You have to use the little backing plate it comes with that attached to your drill. Only the orange 3M pad you can use (very carefully as it's so small) on your PC.

11. ACE2790

ACE2790 Jedi Nuba

12. teak

teak Birth of a Detailer

Thanks. What size are the sanding discs and pad in the kit?

13. P1et

Unsure of the actual size, but have a look at the package. Maybe that helps.

[​IMG]

14. Corr Performance

Corr Performance Virgin Detailer

will have to use this on my headlights on the car that i just bought. wierd since only the driver's side seems to be cloudy.

15. richy

richy Guest

Looks great P1et! What grit is the sandpaper in the kit? Did you coat them afterward?