My First Detail

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by anbuzero, Jun 18, 2009.

1. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

Hey everyone, im new here and just wanted to say this is a great forum. everyone here seems to be mature and polite and best of all willing to help. Before discovering the world of detailing i sadly did things when washing my car that would make me cringe now :yikes:

well anyways i have a 2008 lancer, which even with my bad techniques , I kept clean. Thanks to this forum and the wonderful internet I quickly became enlightened. Currently im starting to detail cars on the side for some extra dough and simply cause its fun. Here is my first real detail if you can call it that.

P.S. Hey there Nica! heres another "Nica" getting into detailing :thumb:

Well first off i had been using EO wax on my car before getting the good stuff and it wasnt half bad. but with this wash and wax i wanted to really bring out the gloss and deep color of my car. i used the 2 bucket method to wash the car and get the dirt off. As seen in the before wash pics my car wasnt too dirty except for the wheels, areas around the wheel and some other parts.

Wash:
    Megs #62
    Wash Mitt
    Two Bucket Method
    Larger MF Drying Towel

Clayed:
    Meg's Clay
    Meg's #66

Trim:
    Black Wow
    Armor All
    Rain X

Wheels:
    Wheel Brush
    Armor All Extreme Tire Shine

Engine:
    Degreaser
    Brush

LSP:
    Dodo Juice Blue Velvet
    PB's Spray & Gloss

Tools:
    MF Towels
    Sony Cyber Shot 7.2mp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres the vinyl overlay i did with a few friends (all nighter )
    [​IMG]
    The plastic trim on the car was dead :(
    [​IMG]
    You can see how dull the car looks dirty and without wax
    [​IMG]
    The trunk was filthy
    [​IMG]
    Some water spots on the hood :shakehead: its been raining forever around here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the wash getting ready to be dried.
    [​IMG]
    THe hood looks so dull here not sure if its the camera or it was this bad before
    [​IMG]
    After drying it all off to prevent water spots I started to clay the entire car since it had never been clayed before
    [​IMG]
    Tar
    [​IMG]
    No Tar :)
    [​IMG]

All was going well. Then a customer came in to get an estimate on his car. It was raining hard and he made a run for my garage, trying not to get wet. He then slipped and slid into my back bumper. Then this happened:
    [​IMG]
    I cried on the inside when i saw this. Upon impact the paint had cracked off. (Also happened on a nearby spot on the bumper a few months ago while hitting hidden ice backing into a spot) It wasn't so much his fault as my mechanics, for not painting that area well when it was repainte; and for Mitsubishi's horribly thin and weak paint.
    I sucked it up and continued to work :gidiup:
    Some water beading after first coat of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Wax (Great Stuff) :worship2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Before anyone says anything, I realized i waxed the wrong way :sorry: just happened to read about the correct way after doing this.
    [​IMG]
    After First coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did the Engine bay really quick (I keep it clean so not much of a difference here)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is after a second coat and a wipe down with PB's Spray & Gloss :worship2: also a new favorite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vinyl wiped down with some Armorall, not the best product but i waiting to order some stuff soon so its what im using for now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mirrors came alive with the wax and the black trim was revived with Black Wow
    [​IMG]
    Patched up the tragic bald spot with some touch up paint and the pieces that fell off. (Cant wait to get it repainted)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Under the sun today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior is getting done tomorrow and ill hopefully have pics of my new customer's Jetta GLI on Saturday. Thanks for viewing guys any comments are welcome

2. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Great color to detail, nice job!

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Nice job and a heck of a first post! Car looks great wearing the Blue Velvet.

4. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

How much stuff did you pull off of the paint with the clay, you did say it had never been clayed, right??

Car looks good dude!! Sorry about the accident with the bumper, was the dude ok??

5. Nica

Nica Banned

First of all welcome to Detailing Bliss anbuzero :hi:

Great to see another 'Nica' here :thumb:

Vehicle looks great, feel free to ask questions around here, we all enjoy questions :thumb:

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Great work!!! DODO juice Blue Velvet is a nice wax!!!

7. anbuzero

thanks everyone :)

The clay pulled of a good amount of contaminants. Mainly on my doors, side skirts, outside the wheel well and surprisingly alot on my trunk. They sideskirts had a decent amount of tar due to the repaving of rt 80 by my house
    And the bumper... yeh it sucks lol the guys aright like i said mainly my mechanics fault when painting the bumper. the guy is giving me $ to cover some of it as he felt guilty, but a quart of the OEM Paint is like $80 plus what its gonna cost to repaint :/ its gonna be a hefty bill alright. But hopefully this new customer will like my work and keep coming bak.

The second part of this detail will be coming up later on today. Just have to touch up the door jambs, trunk jambs and the interior. I have a few nasty stains on my seats that ill hopefully be able to get out.

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Look forward to the rest anbuzero :popcorn:

9. razr007

razr007 Banned

looking good for a 1st keep up the good work.

10. anbuzero

again thanx to everyone for the comments. quick question though is there anything you guys recommend i use on black fabric to bring the color back? its a bit faded in areas and i was wondering if theres a better quality product i can order online and then something i can buy quickly tomorrow at autozone to use temporarily.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Great job! Looks really good. Sorry about the bumper though.

12. Rooster_Cogburn

Rooster_Cogburn Virgin Detailer

Lookin Good! Nice to see another Lancer owner on here :thumb:

13. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

looking nice man!

14. anbuzero

hey there wut kind u got?

15. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

Excellent work!

16. anbuzero

sorry for the double post but just want to let everyone know that the interior detail was delayed because of crappy weather here in jersey ill hopefully be doing it sometime this weekend.

also just noticed theres something in one of the pictures for Nica. Hint: Look closely at the picture where it shows the side of the car after the picture showing the first coat of wax

17. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Very nice detail. It really does look great. Keep posting and keep up the good work...:thumb:

18. anbuzero

as i failed to do the interior detail today here are some teaser pics of what is to come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fabric is very faded :(
    [​IMG]

I hope i can get the stains out and leave this car looking like new

19. Rooster_Cogburn

Rooster_Cogburn Virgin Detailer

Tarmac Black 2008 GTS. Some 303 Fabric Cleaner should do the trick on those seats - the Lancer seats are easy to stain but also easy to clean.

20. anbuzero

nice i wanted the black gts but got the GG es cant complain though the paint throws some crazy colors sometimes. i plan on taking a steam gun type of thing used for cleaning hopefully that and some 303 will do the trick