My Experience

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by godoman, Oct 16, 2010.

1. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

so,

I get alot of emails from all of you from all over the world and all over the US asking hwo to use the optima steamer.

the first person I help emailed me. I called him and answered all of his questions about the optima. he aggreed to send me some soap that I wanted to play around with and see if I could figure out how to speed up the process. after an hour and a half on the phone with him he purchased it and never sent me anything in the mail and never got back to me.

got a local detailer in the seattle area that promised to meet up with me, to team up with me and my business partner since he has a carpet extractor we would try and all work together to get this idea off the ground and be successful. guess what? he calls me, he talks to me trying to get my process out of me, he talks and talks about how nice I am after I give him info on products to use (after he tells me he is using all meg's products) and then a week later, after not showing up or meeting me in person, he asks me if I have a video for him to see how to wash cars. how long does it take. what soap do I use? "I only want to speed up my washing cars in the winter time a little, I dont want to take your idea from you". shit....

finally, I got a guy that has been emailing me for months. I have been educating him on everything from how to use the optima on cleaning paint, to how to steam clean the rims more effectively, how to take out spots from the carpets, how to remove smells from the car, how to steam clean the air vents, how to do everything that took me months and months to get.

guess what this asshole does when I ask him if he has figured out how to use a soap mixture with the optima steamer? he writes back, forgets about all the educating and coaching I gave him after I just wrote him an email four days ago about how to do the rims more effectively, asking nothing in return. this asshole tells me "well why should I help you out, last time I emailed you, you were considering charging everyone a monthly fee to know how to use your technique". completely forgot about everything that I have taught him thus far.

I dont want to hear one more begging email from any of you asking how I use it. I dont want to hear anymore requests for a video, or for me to calll you because you have a ton of questions before your purchase.

all of you are on your own. my days of being helpful, generous and down right kind are over!

godoman

2. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

well done. there are too many assholes who never follow through and feel they are owed everything. its your hard work.

3. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I don't blame you one bit. People are quick to take take take, but giving back is often another story. People are obviously trying to take advantage here.

4. Jose206

Jose206 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Godoman, I being the second person you listed would like to make something very clear. I NEVER said I wouldnt still meet up with you to show you/let you mess around with the extractor. I simply decided I couldnt team up with you because as I stated in my reply to you I just wouldnt think it to be fair to split profits evenly when I felt you would be much more invested in it then me because I have other priorities. I apologize if I didnt make myself clear, as Ive offered before I can gladly get you in touch with people that have helped me get my logo,embroidery and whatever else that may be able to assist you in your endeavors. I hope you dont take things the wrong way, i honestly am grateful for the wealth of knowledge you shared with me and would like to help you in anyway I can

5. Jose206

One more thing, after you told me you couldnt give me the names of the soap you were using the first time I made sure to leave it alone from our first conversation on.

6. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

I am really thankful that godoman taught me a lot on the vx5000 steamer, I have met up with him in the states and he is a really nice and talkative guy.

7. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

It's amazing. When you r lucky to meet someone who wants to teach and show the apprentices the tricks of the trade. These r a rare breed of person. Thank your lucky stars....

8. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

thanks for the support guys.

I started this posted because I woke up and got an email from someone that was nerve racking to see that he wrote he would not help me despite the long emails I have written him in the past. really sent me to work steamed today.

604, thanks for the recognition. you are a really nice guy, that is the impression I got when meeting you up by the boarder to by my vx5000 off of me. you can feel free to contact me anytime you want on anything else you want to learn. still have to be careful what I tell everyone though so dont take it personally if I dont give you "exacts" when helping you out but you have always been appreciative.

to all the other ones out there looking to bug me for info so that you can make a free buck off of the endless hard work I have done. go to hell

I would say we have a great bunch of guys on this forum willing to share info and help each others out and really take it to the next level. I am one of those looking to always return what I get out of this forum but, like I said, these people call me or text me or email me sending me promises and then dont write back after I deliver or dont do the little favor I asked for in return, I am done with all of them.

thanks again everyone for your support and making me feel better about my decision.

thought I went over board but have learned alot today. you have to watch out and protect yourself cause "everyone is out there looking to get something for nothing"

godoman

9. Jose206

Im sorry you feel so negatively, on my end I never did anything to wrong you, just a miscommunication probably. Theres always two sides to every story, im just trying to keep my name from any dirt that may be thrown. Wish you the best.

10. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

nobody buys a steamer for 5000 dollars just to speed up their car washing process and asks someone else that came up with a method on doing it without the intent of taking that method and using it for themselves.

offering to let me use a carpet extractor, which is extremely easy to use, in exchange for the wealth of knowlege I have on a machine that I took a risk on and dropped so much money and time on is not a fair trade. period. plus you told me you would be "more than willing to work for me part time when I open up in a mall". this makes alot of sense. you want me to pay you to learn my method so that you can go out and use it for yourself. you dont want to look bad but look at what you are communicating.

that my friend, is trying to get something for nothing.

11. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

A lot of good folks on this forum, which makes it fun to learn (even for non-professional hobby detailers like myself) and why the overall atmosphere at DB is kind, friendly, and helpful. Most are willing to offer advice or guidance on products, technique, etc., because it's a tight-knit community. They don't tend to have delusions of grandeur over patenting cleaning solutions or techniques in an effort to make royalties off of their fellow detailers, nor do they post rants of disparaging remarks about other members. The mods/admins here do an admirable job of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I've quoted excerpts of your posts above, and perhaps it's because you're a bit "steamed" over all this stuff... but you sound like an arrogant, melodramatic, egotistical douchebag.

I'll share with you a novel idea, absolutely free of charge: if you have something proprietary that you want to keep under wraps - don't post about it on the internet.

Best wishes on your journey as you start your new days of being unhelpful, stingy, and downright inhumane. Hope it works out for you.

12. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

nice feedback.

I stopped posting my info online months ago after my email inbox startred getting full to the brim.

I do not intend on using other detailers or making money off of them and if you read my posts in the past, which clearly you have not, they you would have scene that the direction I am going in is towards washing cars, not detailing them.

you also would have read what the other detailers online have posted here stating that I have every right to feel this way after "helping and educating" other detailers that are coming up in the world and also the ones that want to learn to use the optima to better their small business and all I asked in return was recognition for my efforts in helping them out or small favors.

you clearly did not read the posts and are reading into this thread as a bash of other detailers. wrong. I was very clear in seperating out the ones that help others vs others that did a google search on "optima steamer", came across the thread that I started 7 months ago and have never been in this forum and used it to get in contact with me to find out everything that they could to the point or harrassment.

this thread even has a detailer leaving a comment on how helpful I have been to him, even to this day, and others alike have recognized that I am "very helpful, very patient, very willing to teach those that have questions". I have gone out of my way to call people out of state, email others in foreign countries and to lead them on the right path.

clearly, you did not read the whole thread or understand the mesage I am trying to get across.

that message is this.

"stop wasting my time by misleading me and taking advantage of my generosity"

godoman

13. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

This "whole thread" has all of a dozen posts. Yes, I read the thread (all of it). So, clearly, you are mistaken on that point. I also do feel that I got your initial point - we are now all on our own, and will have to somehow muddle through life without the benefit of the vast knowledge gained through your endless hard work. A scary prospect indeed.

An observation on my part - one chooses to post, reply to PMs, return emails, make phone calls, etc. One can just as easily choose to not do some, or all, of those things. Please keep that in mind as you use forums such as this one. I really don't see how someone can "harass" you through the internet, since you can add them to ignore lists, not reply to PMs, not give out your email/cell, etc.

14. Jose206

Godoman, to some extent i can understand your skepticism, i just wished that you could have just called me first to clear things up if you felt that i was trying to use you. I actually gave you credit on a rescent post I did on here on the carpet cleaner you suggested. I dont feel im an "elite detailer" but at the same time wouldnt say im a novice either, I feel you can never stop learning which is why im always looking for ways to improve in what I do. I wouldnt hesitate to let anyone know if I was trying to "steal" someone elses ideas especially if I was approached the way you have come across. I did offer to help you out since I couldnt support you in your endeavors as far as being business partners,and your reply was 'once you purchased a transit van' so I didnt think you were in anyway becoming suspicious about me. Thank you for having suggested to me a good carpet cleaner,wax and aquapel along with sharing your plan to start a nice car wash. Please let me know if i forgot anything because thats all I can recall you shared with me. I wouldnt think about stealing your plan because I just wouldnt feel right about it if I tried knowing I didnt come up with it.

15. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

It's my personal opinion that if you plan on taking advice from people on here on recommendations, product leads, or any other type of information, I wouldn't feel right withholding information from anyone or charging large fees to share what I know. I've learned a hell of a lot from the members of this site, and if I found some quick way to do something or some trick that bred better results, I'd be sharing it. I don't think anyone on here would be half as good or found half the great products we use if they didn't get feedback or advice from other members, so somewhere along the line we are indebted to each other and shouldn't be saving secrets. At least if you know something, don't showboat it or make it obvious. People come here to learn, and if you dangle something in front of someone they'll surely get pissed off. All in all, if you're so worried about your method or product, patent it. I think people should realize that no one on here found a cure for cancer, you're just cleaning a car. I'm not really pointing the finger at anyone but it's becoming a bit ridiculous overall. I give a lot of respect to people like Clark who pull off some great details and yet if I PM them with a question, I get a detailed response with nothing held back. Maybe I'm thinking of it in a different light because it's a hobby of mine and I'll never pursue it as a career, but it's possible that it puts me in a better perspective. You shouldn't be in the mindset of 'what can I get from this site', it should be what can I bring to the party.

16. Minicoop831

Minicoop831 Birth of a Detailer

I'm not trying to bash you here

I just feel like your "techniques" can't be much different than all the other steam cleaning videos on YouTube. Seriously your washing a car it's nothing revolutionary. Withold what you want to withold

Honestly I would never even make a thread like this, your stuff is private. So if people email, text, call you tell then you don't want to help them or provide information anymore.

This thread just seems like your calling out for attention, keep your matters private. Just how you handled jose206, highly unprofessional. Deal with matters like that in pm's it's not cool to call people out in public, and I hope you see that

17. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

I read what you guys wrote, and you know what?

I think there is alot of truth to what you say. I think that more of my frustration is in the idea that others are trying to "gip" me out of something.

as far as my method vs the ones on youtube. I have watched them all a million times and tried all of their methods and they work, if you are in a garage out of the sun, and if you have alot of time to work on each car and there are two people doing this washing at the same time.

I guess my obsession was in the idea of making a transit type car wash using this thing because of its eco benefits and being able to put more people to work rather than putting more machines to work.

guess I went off the deep end today because of an email trying to accuse me of withholding information when it was brought to my attention from another detailer that I was "being way over generous" with the information that I was displaying online for the world to see. that I should consider that I am basically allowing people to take what I worked hard at and make alot of money off of it with no return.

this was brought to my attention by somebody else. you guys saw all of my posts and know the extent of how willing I was to tell everyone what I was doing and to give feedback from what I did based off of everyone's ideas.

broke the bank to get where I am so I feel compelled to try and protect what I have at least until I have a small business/shop set up where I am making steady income off of it.

hope all of you understand

godoman

18. Jose206

Godoman, just please accept my apology if I came across as someone trying to get something for nothing. Its never wrong to be generous, please dont allow someone else remarks dictate how you deal with me as an individual. Id be happy to assist you in whatever way I can, you know where to reach me.

19. godoman

godoman Jedi Nuba

no worries jose, we are cool but I am going to at least wait until my business is up and running successful before I give out anymore advice.

I do remember alot of people criticising me back 7 months ago when I told how much i dropped on this machine. then over the next 7 months I get emails from people telling me how they just bought the steamer. now people are sweating me to give them the answers on how to wash a car in 5 minutes using it, and I assure you i am not using the same method that they other guys are using.

I am done with this thread. ther is nothing else to say and I am done being judged by complete strangers.

I know for a fact that if one of you came up with this method you would keep it to yourselves if it meant creating financial security. if it meant makking way more money than you are making now.

good luck to all of you

godoman

20. Jose206

That I want a way to wash cars faster is true, having "your method" seemed apealing true. That my offer to help out part time was part of some plot on my end to ultimately snatch your carefully thought out vision is a conceivable but still false conclusion youve reached on your own or perhaps even fueled by someone elses honest concern for your success. I stand by my word, wouldnt be afraid to state the opposite and agree with you if it were true.