Motorcycle Gurus

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by MadOzodi, May 28, 2008.

1. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Hopefully we have some 2 wheel junkies on here that can advise me/give me their thoughts opinions. I'm seriously considering purchasing a motorcycle to use for commuting to and from work; about a 15mi round-trip with no highways whatsoever. It's essentially a 4 lane road (2 on each side) with some stretches that include a holding/suicide lane for the left turning numbnuts.

For all intents and purposes, I've never ridden a motorcycle. The MSF course is something I'm considering doing before I would purchase a bike. Already have a full-face helmet that's SN05 approved; I'd probably buy a 2nd full face M helmet for greater visibility.

I've read that the Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe is a great beginner's bike and am leaning towards it. However, being who I am, I'm wondering if stepping up to a Yamaha V Star Custom or Honda Shadow Aero/Spirit would be a better choice.

I thought about getting a scooter to use as a commuter for all of 30 seconds, but figured there's no way I could have any sense of manhood riding around on one.

Any other bikes I should be considering? I appreciate any feedback.

(Yes, the chance to detail a bike is also a consideration :giggle: )

2. adriankeith

adriankeith Birth of a Detailer

The MSF is a great way to go and you'll learn a lot. I'm planning on taking it as well this summer. I can't offer any advice on the cruisers you're asking about as I'm more into the sportbikes.

My suggestion? Yamaha YZF-R6 :) Not too much power but just enough and it'll get you to your location early every time :D hahaha.

You hit the nail on the head. hahaha. good luck!

3. richy

richy Guest

I've been riding for over 20 years. I was a motor officer for 6 years with the p.d. and was a MSF instructor for 3 years. My suggestions to you would be to AT LEAST take the MSF course and more if they're offered. In addition, I would NOT suggest going too small for your 1st m/c. I know that probably sounds opposite to what you'd think I'd say but there's several reasons for this. A bigger, heavier bike is easier to maneuver at lower speeds as well as being more stable on the highway especially passing or being passed by big trucks. AS long as you can keep it upright, that's the choice that makes sense. Just make sure you can pick it up on your own. (The MSF course will teach you that as well). There's nothing better than wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth!! As far as the scooter goes..you know the joke about fat chicks and mopeds I'm sure!! Ride Safe!

4. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Thanks guys! ak, that YZF-R6 is sweet, but a bit too rich for my blood. I wouldn't be able to spend anymore $$$ on detailing supplies! That and I'm just not a sport bike kind of guy anymore. 10 years ago and I definitely would have chosen one over a cruiser.

richy, no specific model suggestions? What do you currently ride?

:peace:

5. richy

richy Guest

I ride "Jap scrap" as the Harley folks call it..namely a Suzuki Intruder 1400cc. I have heavily modified it (there's lots of $$ you can spend on them), but having said that, you're still looking at a relatively mild investment compared to a Harley. Any Japanese bike will do..it's a matter of taste for what floats your boat. The V star or Honda are great bikes, either way you can't go wrong. There are forums for bikes too, in fact the forum I joined 1st was the Suzuki Intruder forum back in 2002. They are a wealth of info about pros and cons of specific models. The bike I had before my current one was a Yamaha Virago 750 cc. I would not suggest going any smaller than that. Here's my Intruder:
    [​IMG]

6. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

:druling:

I have no problem driving "Jap scrap" at all. Thanks again richy!

:thumb:

7. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I'm not sure but I get the eerie feeling that I'm the only sportbike rider in DB. I own a (wrecked at the moment, long story) 2004 Yamaha YZF-R6. I don't know too much about cruisers but I can definitely agree with richy about the MSF course. In fact, any of my friends that think of getting motorcycles and ask my opinion about owning one, I insist/require them to take the MSF course. I even go so far as to call them idiots if they don't. I know for certain that it has kept me alive since I got on the bike in 2004.

Good luck in your motorcycle shopping!

8. richy

richy Guest

Hey Denzil..nothing wrong with sportbikes! In fact if you look at how cruisers are evolving, they are taking many of the performance (brakes, engine, etc) features from the sportbikes into their own..look at the Suzuki M109R which is a favourite of mine. I call them performance cruisers. Even bikes like the Honda S1300 which is a fantastic bike (we demo'd one for consideration on the job) are blurring the lines in terms of their look. Nothing is black and white any more, and that's O.K.

9. jetblackZ4

jetblackZ4 Birth of a Detailer

I ride a Yamaha Midnight Venture (my wife and I take lots of long trips on it) and before that a V-Star 1100 Classic.
    I absolutely agree with the MSF course and don't skimp on good protective clothing.
    I would also agree with getting a bike that isn't too small because you will quickly tire of one that you out grow when you get some experience.
    I'm a fan of Yamaha and Honda but Susuki and Kawi's are good too.
    650's and 750's are ok and will get you where you want to go nicely especially for commuting but if you develope a passion for riding and you probably will, get something around 1100 (or more) in a cruiser for longer rides.
    Although I don't think you mentioned it, I assume you are thinking of getting a used one. If so, that's a good idea. There are some great deals on GOOD used bikes versus taking a big hit on a new one for a first time rider. If you change your mind or want something different it won't be as big of a hit. You should be able to find a low mileage used bike. If you have any friends that ride, take them to look at bikes. There are things to watch out for like rust inside the gas tank etc.
    Most cruiser style bikes have less than comfortable stock seats. Try out the bikes for comfort, fit etc because they aren't all the same and if getting a used one try to find something with good after market seat like a Mustang.
    Lots of cruisers have had after market pipes put on. Listen to the bike for noise level. Find out if there are any noise restrictions where you live for bikes. I'm not going to pass opinion on bike noise. Everyone has there own opinion.
    Good luck with the hunt and let us know what you are seeing or get.
    Cheers, G

10. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Shaft vs. Chain drive? I'm actually considering getting a new 08 Shadow b/c it has the shaft drive. 1100 for a 5'6" 155lbs asian d00d? I think that's a bit too much, hehe.

I'm not even thinking of buying one until after the MSF course. But I have to sell the Mustang first...I'm just getting started on the research though.

Thanks again for all the input. I wish I knew as much about bikes as I did about cars.

11. budman3

budman3 Birth of a Detailer

First off, definitely take the MSF course!!!!! In some states you can get a lower insurance rate because of it as well. I have been riding 3 and 4 wheelers since I was 8 or 9 and got my first dirt bike when I was 12 or 13. I've been around bikes my whole life and was glad I took the MSF course.

Next, I would suggest not getting a chain driven bike. The upkeep isn't a lot but it is not as convenient as a shaft or belt driven bike. My bike now is chain driven (since it was originally a dirt bike ...) but you'll be fine if you keep it well lubed and tightened.

As for specific models, that's a tough one. It's like asking what the best wax is :), everyone has a different opinion. I have recently been looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900's. I have been really impressed reading about the Vulcan 900 Custom. It's a very sharp looking, mid-sized bike. 900cc's @ 500 pounds isn't bad. I do not have any experience riding cruisers except for Harleys.

Here is what I'm riding, 2000 DRZ 400E converted into a Super Motard:
    [​IMG]

And what it currently looks like in the basement awaiting more upgrades!
    [​IMG]

12. jake_b

jake_b Obsessive Detailer

very nice motorcyle richy. i'm also considering purchasing one. i'm planning to buy hopefully soon. I'm looking into a small bike since i'm only 5'5". i'm looking into a small harley and that doesn't eat up a lot of gas.

13. jetblackZ4

I'd also suggest shaft or belt over chain. Shafts are close to bullit proof and in my opinion belts are pretty close.

Hey MadOzodi, I'm a 56 year old 5'7" 155 pound wasp that hadn't riden a bike for 25 years when I bought my 1100 VStar 6 years ago. My Venture makes an 1100 look like a mini bike. With fuel etc and all the extras I've added its well over 850 pounds. With my (small) wife and packed for a 2+ week road trip, well you get the idea.
    I'm positive you could handle an 1100 but you are the one that has to be comfortable.
    By the time you've resaerched you will know alot.
    Trying to add a pic or 2. Hope it works.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

14. richy

richy Guest

Jetblack..nice ride there, bud:)

15. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

+1

:worship2:

16. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Well, I sat on a HD Sportster a couple years ago and was close to being on my tip-toes to keep the bike standing up; no 883lows were around. I may have to factor in a custom seat with my purchase.

17. jetblackZ4

Thanks richy and MadOzodi. Pics are without much of what has been done since then.

richy, yours has obviously had lots of TLC and good work done to it also. Nicely done.

MadOzodi, just an aside, a couple we know ride a big tourer like ours also and his wife decided she wanted to have her own bike. She had never riden her own. Took the course and bought a 1100 VStar Custom. They are quite low. She is about 5'4" at best and you should see her handle that bike.

Cheers, G

18. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Good to know jetblack...that puts some reservations to rest for sure.

19. Lars

Lars Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've been considering the exact same thing, getting a bike, tons of great info on the thread. Other forums I frequent are too into the sport bike/stunt lifestyle, ask a question there and they think you are crazy for not knowing the basics.

For those who've taken MSF courses, are they a good fit for someone who's never ridden a motorcycle ever before, not even a dirtbike? I assume that people usually pick it up quickly, I'm just apprehensive that I'll enroll in an MSF course where everyone pretty much already knows what they're doing.

20. timpryor

timpryor Birth of a Detailer

TAKE THE CLASS FIRST

before you even think about buying the bike for 2 reasons
    1. you will find out very quickly if buying a bike is something yu really want to do, plus you will learn how to ride
    2. you can then go out and buy a bike when you want and be licensed to purchase it(in tx law says they cannot sell a bike to a non M endorsment holder)