Monthly Competition is open!

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Nica, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

2. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

Nica,

Quick question.

You defined pro detailer as one who make his living off detailing.

Can I say that i live off my wifes income and shove mine to my P-car fund and still qualify to compete?

Now i Detail full time. well a little more than 40 hours a week. But i don't actually use the funds i make to live persay. Do i detect a loophole in your rules i can take advantage of?:woot:

3. Nica

Nica Banned

lol...no nice try there Grouse. There will be a section for all the Pros :thumb: I'm just about to post the rules on that one as well and opening it up.

Man I don't want to write a book ont he rules....so if anyone detailes like Grouse your a pro :whistle:

How's that for definition :hippie:

4. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

that great, Nica. Awesome addition to the forum.

5. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

So I can enter my 06 325 in the contest?

6. Nica

Nica Banned

Sure, any vehicle may enter the competition.

I got a question though, now I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything like that so don't take it the wrong way. This is the grey area of this competition and I need help with this one. Okay the question is what to do with members that don't do this for a living but yet they have developed skills like a pro :confused: I honestly I'm stuck :shrug:

But like I said I'm looking for feed back not trying to insult anyone or be disrespectful and my comments are not towards anyone in particular, but the intention of the Monthly Competition is for all those detailers that detail once in a wile weather they get paid or not is irrelevant but it's to give those that can't detail as regularly as others or those that just detail for pure pleasure an opportunity to post and win a price.

I'm just trying to be fair that's all, it's like comparing a Ferrari Enzo with a Honda Civic? I mean it's hard to compare the two because they are in different spectrum oh and again not that I'm trying to say that a Honda Civic is bad it's just a comparison that's all...well I hope I'm getting the message across properly.

So then what happens when a member that doesn’t detail for a living but has skills to be a pro. I mean I could leave it to all individuals to look in there heart and ask them selves "Do I consider my self a Pro?" well I for one don't consider my self a pro bud others may think differently and then all of a suden I'm posint on the competition and other members may get mad at that :confused: I don't know maybe I'm complicating it but man I thought I had it all figured out..lol..any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

7. ehuth1

ehuth1 Birth of a Detailer

Well I hate to say it, but AG let's pretty much any skill enter their show and shine contest. It's hard to seperate the garage guru's from the pro's because both might produce great results, but yet they are in a different bracket (Full-Time and the other Hobby).... Use your good judgement Nica I'm sure you will balance the playing field.

8. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

Good luck to all who enter!

9. zoomzoom mazda5

zoomzoom mazda5 Wax on..Wax off

I'm always been a part-timer for over 25 yrs, someday i will go full time for myself.

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I think it should be open to everyone Pro and non pro. It shouldnt matter if its a Veyron or a Kia, I think its the level of "restoration" that has been done to the car that should be judged.

So I guess before/after shots are cruicial!

my 2 dollas!

11. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I agree with what you guys are saying about opening the competition in general, letting everyone post in the competition but here is an example...keep in mind this is just what's in my head lol.

Okay lets say someone posts a wash and wax, there is nothing wrong with that it's still considered a detail, well at least I consider it a detail, some may disagree but can such a person that posts a wash and wax compete with lets say another member that posts up a paint correction, interior, engine bay, rims...ect..ect..ect...I just think that all details deserve a fair chance to compete and that's why I was thinking of splitting the two...now it's not about the vehicle, winner will be chosen based on quality not on vehicle, we all agree on that, I'm sure :thumb: but it's just that lets say the not so experienced member, or those that are just learning to detail (again not trying to be rude or anything) it would be nice for such members to feel confident enough to compete. So if a person who's just starting to detail sees another person that details for a living or a hard core detailer with incredible paint corrections posting on the same competition that person may feel intimidated by those other experience detailers.

Well I hope you guys know what I mean and don't anyone take offence because I'm not trying to pick on anyone.

12. Nica

Nica Banned

I received a PM with the following question, I asked for permission from the person who sent it to me to post it here and I got the blessing :thumb:

The question is this:

This is how I responded to this question:

If you'd like to enter the Monthly Competition you have to enter it on the Monthly Competition Forum and not on the Show and Shine. Now you can enter the competition any time you wish but remember that only one detail can enter. However, you can post all your details on the Show and Shine section and you can enter any of your details at any time to the Monthly Competition section. Like I said in order to qualify for the competition you have to post on the Monthly Competition Forum, if it's not there you wont enter the competition. Now for the Monthly Competition only one detail can be entered so if you have say three vehicles you detailed in that particular month choose the one you feel is the best one and post it in the Monthly Completion section.

Then I received this question:

I answered the following way:

Yes sir you are correct :thumb:

I just though it was a good question and though it would be good for all to see the question and the response. Hope this helps :peace:

13. Scott's Mobile Detailing

Scott's Mobile Detailing Welcome to Detailing

i think anyone should be able to post, i am 19 and detail part time, but have my own business, does this make me pro?...i think there is to much cofusion with that, the way i look at it is, giving away free prizes will make the unexperinced detailers work harder, and try diffrent things to win, this will make them a better detailer.

14. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Alright, hold on a second. You defined a pro detailer as someone who earns a living doing this, so someone that does this full time. Im not a pro, you arent a pro, doesnt Phil have another job? That wouldnt make him a pro either.

Just because someone only does it part time doesnt mean their details wont be more involved/ better then someone that does it for a living. The person that does it for a living just might have more opportunities to post in the competition. There are lots of people out there that do this full time, but there work is nothing special.

What about people posting BS details? We all know pictures dont really show anything, especially the way people take the pictures. I mean you could wash a car, take pictures of it under the halogens. Say you did a 3 step polish on it, even wet sanded it, then topped it off with Mystery. There has to be some kind of extremely strict outline of how to write this up and take pictures of it.

Instead of splitting it up with pro vs. non pro. Since wash and waxes are being considered details, maybe you could split it up as the level of the detail and have different sections. So you've got something like Wash n Wax Detail, Paint Correction Detail, Interior only, etc.

15. Grouse

Grouse DB Forum Supporter

VTB, dnd has figured out our master plan.

16. D&D Auto Detailing

Oops, sorry guys.

17. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Nica I think the split between Pro and Non-Pro is perfect. And I know that someone like FMINUS is very accomplished but by your rules if he wins this month he's not eligible for 3 more months so that gives someone else who maybe is not as accomplished 3 months worth of competition to win and get better. I think that is the greatest benefit of this rule is that those that don't win will get to see what it does take to win and can take the necessary steps to get to the winners circle!

One suggestion Nica if people like D&D wants to compete with the Pros even though he doesn't do it for a living how about allow the Non-Pro to post in the Pro challenge but if he does he would be exempt from the Non-Pro challenge. You could step up but if you do you couldn't go back to the other. That way if he doesn't want to compete with the other Non-Pros he has the opportunity to put his work up against the best we detailers we have here, but once that decision was made there would be no turning back to the other division.

Also D&D you talk about camera tricks, and blatent lying about process, but I would hope with the group we have here that wouldn't happen. I mean heck what would prevent one from using a detail that they didn't even do and post it as theirs, I mean this is the internet. Call me naive but from the crowd we have here I just don't see people blatantly trying to decieve everyone else when it comes to posting their work. I would hope that a simple honor code would prevent such things from happening, this forum does seem to be different you know.

18. D&D Auto Detailing

I agree, but the forum is growing day by day. Look at the whole situation with PhantomGoat.

19. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

True but most of the questionable things don't really seem to come up with posting actual work. Also you have to admit that the PhantomGoat thing was called out rather quickly. I really don't think that the folks who would be judging the contests really have a promoting agenda like I think sometimes happens on AG with there monthly competitions. Furthermore the ones judging have seen and done plenty of details and I think they are pretty savy to most "tricks" so they would be very objective. I would feel differently if the contests were being judged by the members where the ol' popularity thing would play into it, but that's not the case.

20. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Where are the pics:missy: