Mold..

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Russ@Xclusive, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Russ@Xclusive

Russ@Xclusive Two Bucket System Washer

I did a search and could not find many opinions just facts on mold. I know that I have some mold on some seats I recently got. It is about 6x6" of little dots but no smell as far as I can tell.

I am looking to clean all of the seat though just in case of course but I need something effective, cost effective, and most of all, safe.

Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe something like Microban Mildew & Mold Remover? I honestly don't know and if anyone can help out that would be great. I want to try to order the stuff ASAP.

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

[Microban Mildew & Mold Remover]

Highly recommened

Identify its source

Without identifying and eliminating the source of the odour / mould you can't get rid of it, there are many products that mask odours; what you need to do is remove it by cleaning and disinfecting the whole area.

Mould

Mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation. There are many products that mask odours; what you need to do is remove and clean and disinfect the whole area; carpets, upholstery (including the upholstery foam and etc) that is affected, including the headliner and metal floor pan. Don’t forget to clean/replace the cabin air filter. (For leather upholstery method differs).

Microban Mildew & Mold Remover is an environmentally-safe, anti-microbial formula that destroys mould, mildew, and other bacterial odours on contact. When you cannot use chlorine, Microban is a very effective solution. The formula is a water-based, non-flammable bactericide, fungicide, deodorant and anti-microbial, all in one formulation

Application- use full strength, apply via sprayer to porous surfaces until moist, no not over wet, brush into carpeting, allow to dry 10-20 minutes

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

As John said, locate the source of the mold and remedy that first. After that, if the mold is white or green and fuzzy, vacuuming and a wipedown with APC will do it. Once its turned black, chances are the material may be stained.

4. Russ@Xclusive

As of now it seems as though it is white spors, very small and not too many. Looks like water or something fell onto the seats while sitting in storage. I will be picking up a bottle of Microban and spraying down the entire seat to play it safe and make sure it is all gone. Then my usual APC mix to clean the seats anyway.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll take pics and post my experiences with this stuff :)

5. Russ@Xclusive

What about a vinegar mix or color safe bleach? Any alternatives that I can get in stores? I would like to work on these seats today and idt they sell microban in stores..

6. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Always Test a Small Inconspicuous Area First

Use a mixture of one (1) one teaspoon ammonia / quarter (0.25) cup Hydrogen Peroxide / three quater (0.75) cup distilled water and then rinse with distilled water

7. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Every time I come on here, togwt always has a plethora (my big word for today) of information.

Do you by chance have a book for sale with all this knowledge inside? I would't mind having that in my arsenal...The Ultimate Bible to Detailing!

Always great to have your input. Thanks. :applause: