Mold/Mildew on Vinyl.........

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Philbert_Wormley, Jun 6, 2010.

1. So, my customer yesterday decided he wants to send me to his 1.5 million dollar lake house to get all his watercraft all spiffed up :buffing:

He was telling me about one of his boats having mildew on the seats. I have a plan of attack in mind, but was wondering if there were any members here who may have experienced this before and has a sure fire method for removal :help:

Any and All answers will be appreciated :hi:

Kind Regards,

Philbert :baby:

2. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Mould

[: fungi that grow in the form of multi- cellular filaments, called hyphae] [1]

Mould uses enzymes to digest nutrients from organic materials, the mould forms on top of the material and also down into its fibres leaving circular or black spots in an irregular pattern, chances are the material may be stained.
    Dirt and moisture are essential to mildew propagation (bloom). There are many products that mask odours; what you need to do is remove and clean and disinfect the whole area; carpets, upholstery (including the upholstery foam and etc) that is affected, including the headliner and metal floor pan. Don’t forget to clean/replace the cabin air filter. (For leather upholstery method differs).

Microban Mildew & Mold Remover is an environmentally-safe, anti-microbial formula that destroys mould, mildew, and other bacterial odours on contact. When you cannot use chlorine, Microban is a very effective solution. The formula is a water-based, non-flammable bactericide, fungicide, deodorant and anti-microbial, all in one formulation
    Application - do not dilute, use full strength, apply via sprayer to porous surfaces until moist, no not over wet, brush into carpeting, allow to dry 10-20 minutes

Caution- use respiratory protection and gloves as the spores constitute a health hazard causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems, some moulds cause disease

3. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

Togwt, do you think that the use (and disinfecting properties of a steamer) would aid in the killing and removal of mould? perhaps in conjunction with a cleaner like microban?

4. richy

richy Guest

The heat from steam will kill any living organism. If you have a steamer and can't get that product in time (sounds like something good to have on hand, especially if you do boats) then use the steamer. I would even follow it up with a steamer to do a deep cleaning of the vinyl to remove everything. Follow it up with something like Collinite's Leather and Vinyl wax.

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Dry steam vapour would indeed kill the fungus.

Wet steam is not such a good idea though

6. Nontoxic

Nontoxic Virgin Detailer

I use my steamer followed by Benefect. Benefect is a botanical ( from plants ) hospital grade disinfectant proven to kill mold and mildew. It is suitable for use around pets people and children.