MKIV Old School Convertible (heavy oxidation)

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by ps3king, May 26, 2010.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

So I work at a local detail shop and this was my second job for them and they heavily quoted the owner the wrong price for this job. They thought the the paint would get cleaned up in 1 step but required some heavy cleaning on my part.

Apparently this car was passed down to this young (mid 30s) fellow and he just wanted it cleaned up before he took it on the road. Car was heavily oxidized with water spots and was very rough, even after I clayed it.

I was only in charge of the paint so please ignore the trimmings, wheels, and chrome.

I could always use tips and advice so if you see something that I could've done in my methodology or perhaps a correction step please do let me know as we're always learning.

I went through 2 orange pads and 2 green pads to do this job because of the heavy transfer of paint since the car was SS paint. If I had more pads I probably would've gone through those too.

Total Time:
    6 hours and $75 richer :)

Wash & Clay
    2BM
    CG Citrus Wash and Clear
    Riccardo Blue Clay
    ONR Lube

Correction

Meguiars 16 Paint Cleaner (also removes minor swirls) w/ Orange ad
    PO85rd w/ green pad

Equpiment
    Halogens
    Flex 3403 Rotary

LSP:
    none

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

-Waseem

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Looks good Waseem. Glad it went OK.

3. Rennes

Rennes Jedi Nuba

Nice work :)

Never worked on a SS paint.

4. I just love it when someone who doesn't have a clue decides how much I will charge on a job. Makes me wanna do my absolute best for sure :roll:

Great job on a crappy car :applause:

5. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

Excellent job, didnt think MG's made it over in US/Canada etc.....

6. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Haha yea. I sat down with them and told them how to quote jobs and we set up a profit margin and stuff to get some work done. But since I'm just starting out I didn't mind, it just meant more practice for me and I didn't go at a loss.

There's quite a few of em actually. I've been seeing them around more frequently now.

Thanks!

7. richy

richy Guest

Waseem...nice job on that puppy! The 50/50's really show your work well. I have never used the Megs product you speak of so I can't offer any advice other than to say I would make damned sure you have Megs 105 in your arsenal. I keep using that stuff more and more and loving it more and more. Bloody quick and very effective. None of my business, but I don't think you're charging them enough. Should be $25/hr at least. The dealer I deal with gladly pays it b/c he knows what I am capable of (of course I only get the worse shit from them, but it's still $$).

8. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Hey Richy, yea I'm going to get my hands on some M105 very soon as soon as some more funds come my way. Yea since this was the second detail I did for the shop so I let it slide. What I've worked it out to though is $65 per level of correction. 3 levels of correction = $65 x 3 = $195 for a 3-step correction. Yea I know its not much but right now it's going to help me bring some more cars under my belt until I can get build a strong portfolio. Also one of the rules I ask is that the car be clayed before I get there.

Now for my own company that I'm working i'm charging a lot more and also putting in a lot more time.

And I definitely don't mind talking about money so don't feel like you're out of place talking about finances. Its just a numbers game to me.

-Waseem

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I am impressed with your work considering your materials! I think the Megs is probably Deep Crystal. I haven't detailed in a long time as I am on the otherside of the world, but M16 is a wax!

Regardless, you do great work! As for M105, yep that stuff is gold, but for this job M80 probably would have been even better than 105 for the sole reason that it is single stage. M80 has way more oils in it. It brings out a pop on SS paint which M105 can do, but it just takes more. M105 basically would remove the oxidation to the level where the paint is still shiny, but M80 nourishes the paint back from my experience.

10. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thx Sneek. I'll be sure to look into M80.

The "M16" I used isn't a wax. it was a paint cleanser. I think I got my numbers wrong and its probably not M16 but something else.

11. Dgioconto

Dgioconto Virgin Detailer

Its red now! Very red! \o/