Mirka perforated backing plate specifically for 5" microfiber cutting discs

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by ampbmw, May 29, 2012.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

I picked this up from Kevin Brown at www.BuffDaddy.com

Kevin is a great guy, endlessly kind and helpful as well!

[​IMG]
    Untitled by austinpatton03, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is going to be a tremendous solution for the heating issues, as well as following Kevin's KBM methodology, and using lower speeds with pad priming and spritzing while compounding.

The biggest advantage IMO is that Kevin cut this plate so that it's diameter is exactly 5" so it sits behind the MF cutting pad all the way for maximum cutting on the edges of the pad. I'm going to be cutting the BP that came with my griots machine down to 3.5 " so that it'll do the same thing for my 4" UBER pads.

Thanks again Kevin for selling a top notch product!

This is as sweet of a orbital BP as the 3M is to the rotary.

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Please update us after you have a chance to use it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

3. ampbmw

Don't worry!

4. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

That looks real nice. Interested in your feedback as well

5. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I want it!!!

6. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

looks pretty nice

7. Dust2Glory

Dust2Glory Nuba Guru

me too... how do we get one??

8. dfazekas

dfazekas Birth of a Detailer

Kevin is the man!

9. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

Been using the exacta fit plates by Buffydaddy.com for many months, I LOVE THEM. The increased cutting area is noticed, and you can edge the pad easier too.

The daddy always takes care of his clients!

Cheers,
    GREG

10. K3RMiTdot

K3RMiTdot DB Forum Supporter

this would be a hot seller!

11. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I wonder why Mirka just doesn't make a 5" backing plate like everyone else (Lake Country, Meguiar's, Optimum, B&S, etc) so that it doesn't have to be shaved down.

12. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

They do make plates designated as being "5-inch". However, as is the case with most companies, the plates measure well under 5". I cut this plate down to approximately 5-7/16" from a plate designated as being for 6" discs, in order to support the Meguiar's 5" DA Microfiber Discs, which measure 5-1/2". I'm guessing that it won't last all that long due to the type of hook material it utilizes, but if it's not used at too high a speed for extended periods of time... It may hold up.

13. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

may have to try it

14. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

Greg is an uncanny tester of stuff that can break or melt... If it's got a weak spot, he'll find it..!

Wonderful guy, I recommend him highly as a detailer, tester, friend, and shoot-the-breeze type-guy.

Ah, someone else can figure out where the hyphens go!

15. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Recently I have interacted with Mr Buffdaddy more and more, Kevin is "The salt of the earth" type of guy and even with the tremendous rep for changing paint correction as we all did it(And why) he is humble and gracious plus he puts out effort all day everyday.

He took me to a place recently in Nipomo with the best burger available.................this alone could make him a good guy. As I mentioned before support guys like Phil and Kevin as there are plenty of shady guys in the biz, but finding people with integrity and products and/or services is much harder if almost impossible to find.

"Viva la Buffdaddy" aka Mr KBM.

16. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Buff Daddy

The burger & steak place is called Jocko's.

And coming from you (a man whose picture is used in conjunction with the word "integrity" in the dictionary... really, I saw it myself), the kind words mean a lot.

17. ampbmw

Update guys, burned through 9 details and about 200-300 hours of polishing since I got this plate from Kev, and it's been BULLETPROOF.....not even the slightest heating or any sot of issues whatsoever, just the most solid performance, EVERYONE needs this plate for the griots and MF correction system.

18. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

i ruined another meq mf pad today...this one smoked actually ...sure hope thus backing plate helps

19. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

So do we just need to message you about these Kevin?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

20. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

I'm pretty darn sure it will solve the issue you are having. I'm heavy armed when I polish and use to smoke pads, infact I use to bond the backing plate and pad velcro together so bad they could not be removed!

Using Buffdaddy.com s backing plates I have eliminated this issue!

Cheers,
    GREG