Mini review - Optimum Metal Polish

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by TLMitchell, Jan 1, 2011.

1. TLMitchell

TLMitchell Birth of a Detailer

I recently won a couple of products from Optimum Polymer Technologies in the "Get to Know OPT for free! Pick 2 Contest " Chris posted. Since I've used or own almost everything OPT offers I selected two that I hadn't tried yet, Optimum Metal Polish and Power Clean. The mailman rolled up with the goods this afternoon. Thanks again to both Chris and Dr. G.! :applause:

Being the consumate obsessive-compulsive I was itching for a tryout before the packaging hit the floor. Only problem is I don't have anything suitably grungy for a worthwhile test of the Power Clean. However, I do have a garage full of motorcycles waiting for their annual winter nook n cranny details, two of 'em with lots of polished aluminum.

I hadn't intended on a full blown test, just figured on giving an aluminum piece or two a little rub for a quick looksee. Yeah, we all know where those intentions end up...

I've been using Wenol red and blue and Meguiar's Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum polish for cleanups as well as Nevr Dull and Flitz on occasion and thought I had my polishing products narrowed down. Not!

One bike is an '86 Harley approaching vintage status, very low miles, bone stock and doesn't get ridden a lot. I keep things shined up pretty well so it wouldn't be much of a test. I gave a brake lever that was already highly polished (or so I thought!) a little rub with the Metal Polish and a clean terry towel and figured nothing was happening because I wasn't greeted with the usual black pasty crud. Turning over the towel I discovered THERE is the black crud! Nothing but haze on the handle though. Huh. So I gave it a wipe with the back side of the towel and HOLY CRAP! I was greeted with a markedly higher luster than before! Hmmmm....

So I started looking around for something more challenging. One of the other bikes is a friend's Sportster. Lady owned and not kept particularly clean unless I do it when it's on the verge of disgusting, it has polished aluminum edges around the rims of the wheels. They weren't really cruddy as I try to keep the brake dust from etching the aluminum when I can get my hands on it. I started rubbing a spot on the front wheel and once again noticed the absence of black, pasty crud resulting from my rubbing. Once again I wiped off the haze and was rewarded with brilliantly shining aluminum! I ended up doing the entire side of that wheel and also noticed some of the light scratches were being removed along with the oxidation.

I've used some polishes that were very good at removing serious crud, others produce a higher shine. All of them are messy to use and require wiping off a layer of black crud while polishing to check progress, usually before another application. Optimum Metal Polish is the first I've ever used that allows you to see your progress while you work. Excellent results without a lot of rubbing and a pleasant smell. I can't wait to get a little time to give it a real workout with the drill and PowerBall. I expect the polished aluminum to resemble chrome... as much as aluminum can. I've also got some rocker box covers on the '86 that just don't shine like I think they ought to. A more detailed review with pics, taped 50/50s etc when I get a round tuit.

The Power Clean review will have to wait until I get something suitably grungy. The hazards of keeping things clean, I s'pose.

TL

2. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

Nice review, I've been hunting around for a good metal polish!! I've just been using Blue Magic, which has served me well but I want something better. Looks like I know what to try next!

3. Derek37

Derek37 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Nice review. Been looking for a metal polish and will have to maybe check this out. Thanks.

4. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Also worked amazing on my iPhone 3G chrome. Though thats long gone... Its truly a great polish for metal and its a pleasure to use, but its not the strongest thing ever from my experience, but leaves an amazing finish.