min. HP for a shopvac?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by lamby, Jun 21, 2009.

1. lamby

lamby Birth of a Detailer

ive been seeing a lot of sale for smaller vacs nowdays for fathers day. 2-3hp and up to 6hp, between $20-50. what do you guys suggest? thanks

2. michaeljbird

michaeljbird Any Rag Vehicle Washer

nothing less than 5 hp for me.

3. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

5hp if you want to use it to clean carpets with liquid. If you need it just to vac up debris than a smaller one would suffice

4. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

My 2.5hp 6 gallon Rigid does me just fine. I have used it to clean floor mats that I have pressure washed with no problem. Then again, I have not tackled a really bad interior yet. All my details are either my car or collector vehicles so far and none came to me with trashed interiors.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

This is just me but the more power the better :giggle: Yea I know typical male mentality but it's worked for me :shrug:

6. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

5hp min for me

7. razr007

razr007 Banned

I have to agree more power picks up more stuff better lol.

8. Berscht

Berscht Jedi Nuba

Yeah the more suction and power the easier its going to be to clean and interior. Thats just my opinion. I dont have a shop vac. At the location I rent they have a built in Euro Vac and wow that puts any sop vac to shame. It could suck a golf ball through a garden hose

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

HP means nothing when it comes to vacuums. Inches of lift is the number you want to know. What it means is how far up a 1" tube the vacuum is capable of lifting water. The Rigid 4050 from Home Depot has a rating of about 57. My Cobex is rated at 90. The Mytee Lite Extractor with 2-2 stage vacuums is rated at around 120-130.:thumb:

10. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Damn, the Vac n' Blo has 95 but its only a dry vac, darn.

11. green dimnd

green dimnd Birth of a Detailer

Just be sure to get one that really sucks. I mean, don't buy the one that sucks, buy the one that really sucks.

Oh hell, 5 hp outta do it.

12. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

man that really does suck. since its such an inconvenience for you, i'll take it off of your hands :giggle:.

13. Tim_G

Tim_G Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Didnt see any inches of lift but mine stated its vacuum power is around 210 mBar/kPa. :shead:
    Its capable of extracting water off carpets and fabric seats but not up to par with my extractor.

14. richy

richy Guest

I miss dating her...:acry2:

15. GoFastSS71

GoFastSS71 Virgin Detailer

The Metro Vac-n-Blo is the best I ever used.
    Light weight
    Small
    Extra tools
    And it won't leave you deaf like some shop vacs.
    It cost more but worth it to me even though it is a dry vac only.

16. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Don't mean to thread jack but now I beg to ask the question.....Dry vac or wet vac?? If the 5hp Ridgid ShopVac can remove all dust and degree like the metro vac-n-blo ANDD remove all the wetness too isn't it a better buy?

17. DetailAddict

DetailAddict Two Bucket System Washer

that is so true! i've tested vac with higher hp but lower suction power comparing to a better design vac with lower hp.