Mighty Pro Rug Doctor Review

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Rcrew, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

The other day I purchased a Mighty Pro brand Rug Doctor carpet extractor. Costco had it for $425 after a $50 instant rebate. A friend of mine purchased this same unit a while back and was very happy with it. You can find these on amazon for $600, so the Costco unit seemed like an awesome deal. Here are some specs on it and what it comes with:

Equipment Included:
    Upholstery and stair tool
    1 96 oz of OxyGreen solution
    1 24 oz. Urine Eliminator solution
    1 replacement brush
    1 replacement filter

Specifications:
    Weight: 36 lbs
    Fill Coverage: 118 sq ft
    Dimensions (handle folded for storage)
    25.5"H x 11.5"W x 22"D
    Adjustable Handle Height:
    32.5" - 35.5"
    Brush Width: 9.25"
    Brush Type: Vibrating
    Vacuum Path Width: 10.4"
    Solution Pump: Single pump and jets
    Pump Pressure: 28 psi
    Solution Tank Capacity: 2.6 gal
    Recovery Tank Capacity: 3.1 gal
    Vacuum Motor: 1.9 hp
    Water Lift: 101"
    Electrical Requirement: 120 volt
    Universal Hand Tool Hose Length: 12 ft

I have highlighted the factors that were important to me in red, with water lift being most important. At 101", it is a bit lower than some of the Mytee Lite units (around 137" IIRC) but still seemed like a substantial increase over the Bissell I currently use (couldn't find its water lift anywhere on the Bissell site).

Like I mentioned, I currently use a Bissell little green (non-heated) for removing stains from carpet and upholstery. Although it is a nice portable size and does have suction and injection capabilities, I have been mostly disappointed with it as it is not very powerful and requires multiple passes for stain removal. I have been researching options for upgrade and would ideally like to have the Dupray steamer model with extraction capability at some point. However, that unit is multiple thousands of dollars. Others under consideration were some heated extractors in the $800-2000 range. For me, the step up to a $400 unit was the best value, so I pulled the trigger.

Here are some pics from the unboxing and first use. I will put down my general impression after using at the end.
    Just opened the box...
    [​IMG]
    Side of the box
    [​IMG]
    Here is what you get (minus the orange cutter I used to open the box, whoops)
    [​IMG]
    Here are some shots of the upholstery tool. It is made of plastic but is very sturdy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white removable tank is where the dirty, extracted water ends up. The blue in-unit tank is where you pour the cleaning solution. This machine does not heat the water on its own, I boiled some water and poured it in, then topped off with hot water and 4oz of the supplied cleaning solution
    [​IMG]
    Back of the unit- the large and small tubes unhook and can then plug into the upholstery tool.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the floor mats I was going to try the unit out on. Except for one, they were very dirty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50/50 after two passes with the main unit (not the upholstery tool)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the mats again in their dirty state
    [​IMG]
    After cleaning with the Mighty Pro. Big improvement I would say. Spent time spot treating some of them with Folex, brush and the upholstery tool. I will continue to experiment with the Mighty Pro and cleaning solutions/dilutions to find the best results.
    [​IMG]
    Onto the driver footwell of this car which btw has 85k miles on it. As you can see, lots of grime and some stained areas. I vacuumed before using the Mighty Pro.
    [​IMG]
    After working the area with the upholstery tool. I also followed up with Folex and a brush for some of the bad areas.
    [​IMG]
    A few shots of the extraction tank after the mats and footwell. Removed a lot of grime and dirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall impression:
    Pros:
    The unit is built solidly and has a 5 year warranty, not to mention the Costco no hassle return policy. The freebies of cleaning solution are nice, as well as the spare brush and filter.
    The suction of this unit is impressive! Mats were only slightly damp after using the MP, a big departure from my Bissell unit. I think the best part of all is how quickly I was able to complete the mat and footwell cleaning. It was easily 2x faster than using the Bissell and I am sure I will get quicker as my experience with the MP builds. Beyond that, the results are simply superior to my Bissell unit. It does store nicely as well with the handle folding down.

Cons:
    Not that portable at 36lbs, but then this unit is primarily meant for in-home use on carpets.
    No rotating brush on the upholstery tool, this could be very useful.
    Does not head the cleaning solution, you have to do so.
    Sprays the cleaning solution out at 28psi, could be higher

After one use, I am satisfied with the unit and very pleased with the results achieved and the time it took to get them. It is of course way better than my Bissell unit and I am happy with the purchase.

I think that's about it for now, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns or things that I have left out. Hope this helps!:thumb:

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Thanks for the informative review!:thumb:

3. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

very nice find. i need one as well. you have 2 v6 accords or just one v6?

4. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

My pleasure!

5. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

None actually, this was a customer's car. My Passat might have been in the background of one of the shots.

One thing I forgot to mention: the $50 instant rebate in only good through January 9.

6. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

oh ok, yeah passat fogs look similar to accord coupe fogs. my dad had white accord like that then sold it. i think paint on it is single stage, at least most of taffeta white paint on honda is single stage, i think some were clearcoated but not accord i think

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

That's surprising to me that a company like honda would be using SS paint on its top of the line sedan in 2004. Interesting to know.

8. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

thats just on taffeta white. all other colors are clear coated. i was wondering why my moms white civic read 67 on paint

9. ryanb

ryanb Virgin Detailer

You would be real shocked that newer Lexus's have SS on black. I worked on a 09 Camry a month ago that was white SS. It all comes down to being more cost effective and saves a step in the painting process.

SS paint does have a better look to it than BC/CC but will fade quicker. The low amount of milage doesn't help either.

10. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

looks like a great choice friend. one thing i have learned is to emply the collection water religiously. it can get really fowl. the price you paid makes me envious. kudos

11. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the info. and review. I was also contemplating the Dupray but for the same reason as you i am / was looking for an alternative. I just hope that Costco near me has the same unit...

12. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Glad to help, good luck in your search.

13. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Thanks Dave!