mid-range steamer indecision

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by JKKJ, Dec 15, 2010.

1. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

Help!

I'm having a heck of a time making a decision on a mid-range steamer. Mid-range for me seems to be something like either a Vapour Systems VX-5000 or a Daimer 200S or a Dupray Tosca. I'm in Canada, and prices are fairly similar once you factor in freight and import, so the decision has to come down to something else. But what? The accessories supplied are pretty similar maybe a few brushes more for the VX-5000, but am I really going to use the brushes on a car? The Daimer has an iron, but I really can't imagine hauling the unit out to do my shirts.

It seems that from the comments I've read that any of these units make the people that have them happy. Any thoughts? How did you decide on your steamer?

2. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I'm in the same boat.. I'm not sure what to buy. I looked at Aztec and it looked pretty good. Extraction of water is also quite important to me..

3. Wes_R

Wes_R Birth of a Detailer

Not an owner myself but I have heard owners of the VX say that it takes a longer time to warm up as well I see the hoses on them disconnect, regardless of these 2 factors it still gets a lot of praise.

What's the difference between the Daimer and Dupray? The Daimer seems nice especially since it's on sale right now.

4. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

They look like the same unit. The specs are a tiny bit different, but not enough to influence a decision. The price shipped to me would probably be higher for the Daimer because of freight and duty.

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

JKKJ -

I guess the biggest question you have to ask yourself, is what are you going to use the Steamer for, and after you answer that, then its easier to concentrate on the model/s that perform your needs.

I did this method and decided the VX5000 ($695 delivered) would do what I wanted, and it has been just great !
    I have used it to clean entire dashboards, vents, all plastic panels, Leather, , door Jambs,, those nasty deep door pockets, and cup holders, carpets, and inside the house it totally rocked on my wife's stainless steel microwave/convection oven that is food blasted about once a month.
    This particular model comes with the most attachments and brushes, window cleaner, floor cleaner, towels, etc., so that you will be farther down the road for a long time, before you have to replace any of those tools.

I know the bigger steamers do alot more stuff, maybe even industrial type stuff, but I dont have a need for anything that big or that pricey either.

I also did the required research, and ended up getting the Mytee HP60 Spyder for Carpet and Fabric Extraction and it has been just perfect too.
    If you buy a long handled 2-3 Jet wand like the carpet guys use, you can do your own carpets too. It is nowhere near as powerful as a Van-powered unit, but its not supposed to because I am primarily using it for detailing.

Any more questions on either of these 2 products, I would be glad to help answer..

Dan F

6. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

Thanks for the input all.

Stokdgs, any problems with the hoses as Wes_R alludes to (if I read that correctly)?

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

JKKJ

I have this compact sized VX5000 sitting on top of some hard foam so that it is above the top detailing cart shelf, so that the plug in hose connector is not bent, and it has never come off of that end or the attachment end.
    You have to press a plastic button down and pull gently to get either end of the steamer hose disconnected from either the steamer end or the attachment end.

Renny Doyle, a big Detailer who teaches classes, etc., polished AirForce-1, etc., has this same unit and his has been in service for years, without any major problems. He even sells them and offers a custom made steamer hose that is covered in a product that is smooth, and is supposed to extend the life of the hose, when it rubs on stuff, etc.

I try to keep mine very close to the vehicle on the detailing cart, and I dont have any issues with the hose anyway.

In my experience with this unit, it seems to work better for all levels you are going to use it in a vehicle if its on the top of a rolling detail cart and then on top of something like hard foam, so that the hose connection is not in a bind, as when the machine is on the cart shelf.

They want you to use Distilled Water to help protect the Italian made steamer/boiler, internals, and its cheap to find that in gallons anyway.

Since I have been using it, I have cut down the amount of chemical cleaners I go through to clean an interior out dramatically, so that alone will eventually help in the ROI (return on investment) number...

It can blow crap out of little tiny cracks in plastics, leather, wherever you use it, faster than chemicals and a brush for me, and I dont have to worry about hurting anything, because I am using steam !

Dan F

8. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

Oh yeah, I'm convinced of the benefits of steam. Just too many nice shiny boxes to choose from! I'm putting myself on a deadline to order this week otherwise I'll never decide. Thanks for the comments (and for giving me another option...).

9. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

JKKJ -

One more thing, I believe I read something about the VX5000 taking a long time to heat up - well, I have not stood around to time it, but with a full tank of water, which is over a gallon I think, if you fill it up and turn it on first, then go get the car doors open, etc., whatever you are doing to prepare the Interior/Door Jambs/ etc., it will be ready to operate and it will keep up with you just fine, as long as you are not trying to wash the car completely in steam, like a much bigger unit would be able to do.

It has never made me wait for it to heat up, and it certainly doesnt take even a half hour to heat up either.

Good luck with your research, I know, too many nice stainless steel machines to look at and compare.. :)

Dan F

10. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

Heck. Daimer 200S ordered. Sort of a Goldilocks decision: not the most expensive, not the least expensive, hopefully just right.

And for whatever reason, I decided that I liked the shape of the Daimer/Dupray over the VX-5000. (yes, this is getting weird...)

11. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

jK. Where did end up ordering the Daimer 200s? I may want to go the same route... Good choice!

12. Hey Kdude,

Make an appointment at our montreal office on cremazie to come check out our machines. You'll have local service, no international shipping and the best performance machines in the industry.

Brent

13. JKKJ

JKKJ Virgin Detailer

I ordered it directly from Daimer.
    Had it shipped through a customs broker's border package service, so that I can take advantage of the free US shipping option. It'll be an inexpensive courier shot to get it to me from the border instead of full shipping from Daimer across the border. Apparently steam cleaners are duty-free too.

14. feslope

feslope Virgin Detailer

+! Incredible machine.