Microfiber or Cotton to buff wax?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by togwt, Jul 5, 2009.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Removing Wax / Sealants

Water, being hydrophilic adheres to micro fibre; in comparison to cotton, a Microfiber will soak up 98% moisture, while cotton can only soak up at most 70%.
    The polyester and polyamide content of Microfiber is typically; 80% polyester and 20% polyamide . The nature of this yarn is that it is an absorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro fibres that collectively encapsulate liquids

a) Microfiber towel - made from polyester/polyamide will remove product due to its inherent properties (that’s why they are so good at cleaning without the use of chemicals). The polyester and polyamide are combined during weaving to create microscopic loops, which form a network of tiny hooks, scrubbing away dirt and grime while trapping it within the weave. These very fine fibres have little 'hook like claws' that reach into the tiniest of crevices, pulling out dirt, dust, grease, grime, and even bacteria. They hold these foreign materials in their web of weaves until they are washed in warm water where the fibres relax and release these materials.

Conversely the same attributes that make Microfiber so good at cleaning have an adverse affect when applying wax. A polymer sealant forms a molecular bond with the paint surface, so when you remove it, you are removing excess product. An organic wax however, doesn’t form a bond with the paint surface but merely adheres to it, forming a chain-link type coating. A micro fibre cotton towel will leave enough of the wax behind to enable it to form a surface coating.

b) Cotton towel - made from 100% cotton micro fibre with a terrycloth weave, spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, the larger fibre loop size that makes up the towels nap are trimmed to produce a fine nap, ideal for buffing and leaving behind a coating on the paint surface.

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.

2. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Sorry for the stupid question..but do you happen to have examples in picture form between the two?? Or brand names for examples of the different applications of the product lines? I can't think of a MF towel in a terrycloth weave.

3. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

What towel(s) do you recommend for wax removal?

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

5. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

6. richy

richy Guest

I have bought these towels from Leo and they have held up well. I have a sealant that I'm playing with and it's a bear to remove if it sits too long so I'll have to try using my DF towel to see if it's better. I tend to forget about them b/c I keep them with my old terry towels.

7. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

The towels are fine, but there was about a 10 page thread (IIRC) on Autopia spanning about a year (I think) with nothing but complaints about unfilled orders, no responses to repeated e-mails etc.

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Anyone have a link for the DF towels?

9. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

The link is in this post.

10. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

It wasn't working... I don't know WTF is going on...

11. richy

richy Guest

12. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I found it... just being a little slow today...

13. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If youv'e read any of my wax articles you'll now I was a champion for this brand / supplier as Leo knows more about faric than anyone else I know.

OK the point to this answer is that customer service has gone downhill (at about 160 MPH) so be warned some have not recieved what they have paid for in three or four months.

Sorry Leo but facts are facts.

FWIW I've switche to the Swissvax cotton towel

14. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

One "solution" might be to try getting them from another vendor. Pak Shak carries them, or used to. I have no idea how someone can take such a great product, then ruin it with horrible customer service. Really a shame.

HTH

15. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Some Zaino places carry them too, Zaino Charlotte has the DF towels.

How are the SV towels, always wanted to see how terry would work but always afraid to scratch the finish to hell.

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The Swissvax red 100% cotton towel (after an initial wash) is soft and will not scratch the paint surface. Although I will say 9/10 wereas DF Towel is a 12/10

17. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Zaino has a storefront somewhere in Charlotte?

18. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

I had wanted to try some of these towels as well, but held off because I also read the same thread. Has anyone here recently ordered from this company? If so, what was your experience with the company?

19. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

OK, so if I'm using a sealant such as Collinite 845, I'm good to go with a MF for removal.

If it's gonna be a carnuaba-based wax or a product such as CG's E-zyme (purported to be developed from natural ingrediants) then it's best to remove with a cotton towel.

Do I have that right?

If so, how can you be sure if an LSP is a 'polymer sealant' type product or an 'organic wax'?
    • Some products specify (like E-zyme) that they're naturally-derived but I'm guessing many other products out there do not provide such info.
    • What about products that are a combination of both natural and polymer-based formulations? Cotton or polyester/polyamide for such products?

20. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

1. So, how can you be sure if an LSP is a 'polymer sealant' type product or an 'organic wax'?
    Organic waxes are usually Carnauba or Bees wax and it will state this on the container. Polymer sealants are more usually liquid (Zaino, Rejex, etc) and will rarely be described as a ‘wax’ (although some i.e. Zaino are described as a polish. To be 100% certain read the MSDS

2. Some products specify (like E-zyme) that they're naturally-derived but I'm guessing many other products out there do not provide such info.

3. What about products that are a combination of both natural and polymer-based formulations? Cotton or polyester/polyamide for such products?

Remove half with cotton and half with micro fibre (just kidding) it’s your choice of which to use