Micro-surface Tuf-Buff black wool pads

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by scheerspeed, Oct 28, 2008.

1. scheerspeed

scheerspeed DB Forum Supporter

WOW! i was detailing a '93 corvette this weekend, which i had to wetsand with 2000 grit to get out some serious acid rain etching. for correcting the snading marks i found that PFW didn't have enough cut. so i called my buddy joyride1113 and he brought over a wool pad for me to try out, and helped me polish the car a little bit. to make a long story short, this wool pad cut and scored the paint so much better than PFW and was so much smoother on the makita. it was the best wool pad i have used to date. and the best thing about them is they aren't expensive. try one out. they are great! mind you, i have a 3M backing plate which helps, but man did this pad ever polish so smoothly. and it doesn't shed at all compared to the PFW. and it will probably last much longer!

here's a LINK

2. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Yeah, I just PM'd Rick (RickRack from Autopia) about these wool pads he's using. He definitely approves of them and so I'm going to give them a shot myself too.

I'm curious though how they compare to the black Edge wool pads (which I have). If I get them in time, I may be able to test them out on the trailer I'm working on.

3. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

There is nothing better than a full wool pad for paint correction or getting wet sand marks out. I prefer the 3M wool pads myself.

4. scheerspeed

i have never tried the 3m wool. where do you get them?

5. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Any autobody shop supply stores or I believe a place called levine autoparts online.

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

What other wool pads have you used?

Now I think I want to try the 3M wool pads too. :giggle:

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I tried these on a recomendation from gmblack3

These black lamb’s wool polishing pads are made from natural lamb’s wool,it leaves clear-coat finishes with less haze and micro swirls than conventional foam or wool polishing pads. The dense 0.75 - inch pile material with 60,000 fibres per square inch versus 13,000 per square inch for synthetic wool pads, this pile surface distributes and applies material evenly and consistently. A very soft 100% lamb’s wool pad can be used for final (finesse) polishing

8. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I have been using these for several months and really like them!

9. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

All you guys have convinced me to try these. Sounds like I can get better work done in less time...I'm so smart sometimes.:thumb:

10. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I have tried the Edge, buff and shine, and a few others. I see no benefit in the different color choices with the Edge wool pads and they do not finish down as nice as the 3M wool pads. The others I have used also never have finished down as nice either. Never have used the above pads, would like to try them also just to see how they compare to the 3M wool pads.

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

It's not even that Buddy, I just don't like the feel of the wool and to me they do not
    finish down as well as the 3M pads.

12. maesal

maesal Birth of a Detailer

I ordered some Tuf-Buf wool pads, I'll compare them with the others wool pads I have.

13. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

In my observations these have less cut than the 3m and finish off a tad nicer than the 3M

I would say these are between the PFW and 3m in both cut and haze

You also gotta try their sand paper!!!

14. scheerspeed

i got some of their 4000 grit micromesh fabric to try out.

15. scheerspeed

here's a pic of me using the 5 inch pad

[​IMG]

16. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

It is pretty amazing!

17. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I was refering to the Edge pads, looks like I will have to give the tuff pads and sandpaper a try.

18. scheerspeed

try them! you will like them. if you dont, they are only 7 bucks!

19. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

I like the Edge Black wool and of course the Lake country foamed wool

However I don't see any haze or micro swirls when I polish with foam, probably because I work the polishes in for much longer than others

3M foams I have never been impressed with and I'm not sure if I can find 3M wool, have never seen them

20. gmblack3

gmblack3 Top 9 detailer in the US to serve you in Atlanta

The tuf buf are night and day difference from the edge black wool. The edge black wool are a last resort on harder clears IMO.

Try the tuf buf with the new Menzerna P0203s. Ryan and Rick told me about that combo.

I polished out a new black Viper ACR, the paint was a real PITA. Even the light cut blue edge would hammer this paint.

Ryan suggested I try the tuf buf and power finish. So I did and it worked so well. The viper had love bug etching and this combo took the etching out nice and slow.