MF pads. Need help choosing correct ones.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Jumbo Jet, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Jedi Nuba

Thinking of making the switch and trying out some MF polishing and finishing pads. I have a PC 7336 with a 5" backing plate. Was looking at the Meguires MF pads, would I use the 5" pad or the 6" pad with that backing plate? Any other MF pad brands you guys would recommend as well would be great.

I'll mostly be using 1Z polishes with these pads, if that makes any difference. But I havent tried M105 yet, could be trying that soon as well.

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Given you have the older, less powerful DA I would stick with the 5" pads. As far as I know, Meguiar's is currently the only brand that has fully released pads (in the US), though Optimums should be out any day now. The Meguiar's cutting pads rock but you should really look at using their D300 compound if your going to use them, as they were specifically designed to work together. While you can use other polishes, just keep in mind that they may reduce pad life, though I've seen no ill effects myself. If you do require more cut then what D300 offers, some M105 added to the mix will give a tad more cut and it seem to dust very little with these pads too.

For backing plates you should go with the recommended Meguiar's plate (W67DA) as it runs cooler than the others, which is important when using these pads.

I have some earlier versions on the Optimum finishing pads now which work very well with their new line of polishes, and they definitely run cooler than the Meguiars pads too. However, they don't seem quite as durable but I've not used them as long as I've been using the Meguiar's ones...I'm eagerly waiting their full release to see how the cutting pads compare.

Hope this helps,
    Rasky

3. GloomyX

GloomyX Birth of a Detailer

if you don't have an air line, consider getting a few more pads. Meguiar's MF pad does clog up quite fast.

4. 604_Snooze

604_Snooze Obsessive Detailer

how about the Optimum MF polishing pad?

5. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

They updated the pad design and the new ones aren't out yet...the previous versions are being sold at clearance prices right now. They work well and it probably would be worth picking some up at almost half price. ;)

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Keep in touch Snooze as I will be bringing in one or the other shortly.

7. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Megs gets my vote!

8. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Optimum MF cuts way better than Meg's.

9. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

You have some of their cutting pads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

I got some from David at SEMA, but the pad I was referring to was the polishing pad. As far as I know, the cutting ability (same MF) is always the same - no matter which one you use. Only the backing is stiffer.

11. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Good to know Thomas! I'll try using my Megs Finishing pad tomorrow for cutting.

12. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

You will see no difference. It is the same micro fiber.

13. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Well the Opt finishing pads I have don't cut as well as the Meguiars cutting pads and I can't speak for the difference in the Opt cutting and finishing either, but I do know for a fact that the Meguiars cutting pads have a different MF material then their finishing pads.

I am eagerly waiting for the new cutting pads from Opt though as the do run a lot cooler. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Jedi Nuba

Thanks for all the help. I'll try out the Meg. pads and the 5" backing plate

15. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

On the IS F the Optimum polishing pad was cutting so much faster than the Meg's cutting pad, it wasn't even funny.

The micro fiber is NOT the same on the these 2 brands. The Meg's cutting MF pads and the Meg's finishing MF pads use the SAME fiber. Identical. The difference is the backing material. Firmer pads are better suited for cutting and softer backings are better for finishing work.

16. mike aesthetica

mike aesthetica Jedi Nuba

I very regularly sub in Megs Finishing when we dirty up too many OPT or MegCutting MF discs..

Alot of this as Thomas eluded to is basically the translation of polishing oscillation from the machine directly back to the paint due to the lack of "absorption" by the backing material.

17. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

Could just be a difference in paint or polish used I guess. I was working on a BMW with Optimum polishes when I tired them both. :confused:

Keeping in mind I was involved with the pre-release testing for Meguiar's, I thought they were the same at first too. But straight from the horses mouth, the MF is in fact different between the Megs pads. The MF blend being one difference and I believe they said the fiber density was as well.

18. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Oh well, I was told that the fiber is the same.

I can't wait for the new Optimum Pads though. Even the discontinued ones are way more durable.

PS: I never heard from your buddy! LOL!

19. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba

LOL, Yeah, he's a little tight when it comes to spending money...didn't think he would follow through. He should just sell that POS anyway! :)

20. RaskyR1

RaskyR1 Jedi Nuba