Metabo users...

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Nica, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Nica

Nica Banned

Have any of you had your Metabo over heat? The reason I ask is becuase mine has actually over heated twice now? I've been using a 12gauge extenstion cord, if I'm not mistaken it's about 30ft long. Now the second time it over heated it really bugged me and what I did is changed the plug in point...meaning from the West wall of my garage to the East wall of my garage, when I wired my garage I made sure to seperate the plugs so they are on there own brakers...so I pluged it back in and went to work with my Metabo and it was fine?...so I'm thinking that the West wall is having some electrical issues...but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with there rotary.

Any feed back would be great.

2. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Mine has done that some times, specially when I was working outside in the sun, and doing some hard compounding. It has a sensor, so its stopes when it gets to hot.

3. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh really, so I'm not the only that then..mmm..kinda strange though. I wonder if all the rotaries do that. I think next detail I do I'm going to use my Makita and see if the Makita overheats too...mmm...interesting, I'll see if I can get a hold of a rep at Metabo and ask.

Thanks for the feed back pirex.

4. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I tihnk Metabos are know for this. IIRC you are supposed to turn it to speed 6 with no load and just let i spin, the fans will cool it down enough so you can continue to use it.

I kind of doubt the Makita will over heat. I have used a whole wack load of them and not one has over heated on me.

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Funny you mention that, becuase that's what I've done. It seems like the Metabo prefers long periods of use, not the stop and go type of use. So what I've done is spread the polish out on the panels and just try to minimize on turning the Metabo off and if I do have to set it down I just let it spin wile I wipe the polish away or apply some more polish...I got another vehicle lined up for this weekend so I'll use the Makita this time...I'll try to use it for the entire detail :rolleyes: I wont even bring my Metabo to the garage :D

6. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

:D Good on you. The makita is my tool of choice, but I have only fooled around with the Metabo once. The only thing I don't like about it would be the sound that it makes, I wish it sounded more like a 849. I guess it also isn't as nice to use as the metabo on upside down work...such as air plane wings haha.

7. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

I do that to!! Workes great! My buddy have a flex rotary, and it also overheat when its hot, used hard.

8. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Mine gets HOT when used on low speeds, I also use the "let run on speed 6" technique.

Most other rotaries dont get that hot, but then again they are not as light and compact as the Metabo

9. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

I still use two black and deckers that are over 20 years old. I dont see me changing until they die, the weight to me isnt an issue.

10. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

Hey not all of us have buldging arms like you!
    remember that us Asians arent that big....

11. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

thats funny

12. Nica

Nica Banned

hahaha and here I am complaining about using the Makita hahahaha...actually I'm going to be using the Makita for a full detail...not even going to bring the Metabo to the garage...that way no temtation hahahaha.

Actually I've been thinking about it and it's all in the head, I'm used to using the Metabo. You know lighter easy to use..ect..ect...then when I go to the Makita I think heavy a little difficult to operat ect..ect..ect...this weekend I'm going to aproach the Makita with a positive attitude and go from there :D should make a big difference....kinda like fooling my self hahahahaha..if that makes any sense :D

13. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

So why are u using the Mikita?

14. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

not to put words into his mouth, but in an another post he mentioned the metabo heating up, I belive he wants to see what happens with the makita

15. Nica

Nica Banned

Yup, like Calgarydetail said..besides I've been chatting wth Rich (lots lately) and he's convinced me to give the Makita another go. So I'm going to give the Makita another go and see how it goes...thing is I'm supposed to give this one away :( what if I like it at the end lol.

16. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

same reason I regret selling my Hitachi.

But metabo is still such a better machine, I cant go back to the hitachi

17. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

Trust me, he does not have bulging arms. He just makes me do all the vertical panels.

18. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Does anyone else have a whining apprentice. I dont feel so bad with my 20 year old buffers, never failed me. Now that I have justed jinxed myself.

19. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

I have 2!!!! My wife and my buddy who says:

"dude, why would a person let the wheels get this bad? what the hell is wrong with this guy?" (and then complain at every wheel)

"I do interiors better than you"

"did the guy like it? Did he mention anything about the interior?"

"why do you always make ME do the (insert part of the car) all the time?"

20. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Atleast i only have one, i feel for you.