Mercedes Clears.

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by sneek, Nov 24, 2007.

1. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

how are these cars painted?!?!? I have worked on 30 ish of them now, and they very so much. The majority of them have been soft, but todays ML was so hard! It was not ceramiclear! I have worked on ceramiclears and they are a breeze. This one was just super hard. Those of you who know your compounds, I had to use 1Z pasta intensiv. It is never fun because it dusts like nothing I have ever seen. Yes, more so than those older 3M compounds. I had to hammer the car with a 6 step polish.

I hate ML's now. I though todays detail would be easy...but this one just put me in my place.

/RANT

I am angry at the 3 point star now.

2. Calgarydetail

Calgarydetail Getting to know Detailing

was it reapainted or OEM?

3. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

When I was in detailing school this summer. He told me that MLs has a special paint. Talked about nano paint. And that they was HARD!

Was it black?

4. Nica

Nica Banned

Oh man I mist out on this one...dam!!! :crash:

Sounds like a good chalenge :cool2: okay note to self try to detail an ML :idea:

Man Pat sorry bro I could have given you Menzerna to use on that bad boy....Menzerna was made for those though clear coats...but i couldn't go and play today :acry2:

5. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

This is for Menzerna Nano polishes are for.

6. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

but here is the thing. I was using 1Z which is also designed for Ceramiclears. It wasn't a ceramiclear though! It was something else. I am not sure if nano and ceramiclear are the same, but this stuff was hard. I hammed on it with #84 and a maroon pad and got next to nothing. I broke out the most aggressive polish I own (1Z Pasta Intensiv,) and hammered on it for a long time finally getting the swirls out.

I have done another ML...but it was silver. Maybe it was the AMG. I just realized that I have been working from Mercs that were from Germany. This is an American made benz. I will post up tomorrow. I am too tired now and I have to reply to all my emails and PMs.

7. Nica

Nica Banned

sneek, I'm curious what were you using rotary or DA?

8. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Both. Makita at 3 -3.5 with #84 was doing nothing. I wouldn't use the maroon pad by DA. The rona sander did do a good job with Pasta though. That was my finishing polish!

9. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

The owner didnt know if it was a repaint or not.

10. Nica

Nica Banned

mmmm...:confused: that sounds interesting sneek.

11. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

12. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

Didn't have time to hit it with wool. Wool always means a good follow up and then most likely a follow up after that.

13. D&D Auto Detailing

Hmmmm, I see.

14. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I kind of wish I had some foamed wool to play with though...might save a step.

15. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

probably a couple steps.

16. D&D Auto Detailing

You're missing out.

17. Nica

Nica Banned

Yea I would agree wool is wicked for full corrections. I haven't tried the foam wool though, I'll make my way to them though ;)

18. Divine Detail

Divine Detail DB Pro Supporter

My Uncles 07 ML500 has paint that is a real pain to correct too, I assumed it was just normal for the Merc SUVs

19. sneek

sneek Nuba Guru

I worked on a 06 G-wagon and it wasn't bad. The ML was badddd.

Crossroads, what did you use on your uncles ML?

20. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Like I said...