Menzerna Power Lock DRYING TIME

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by LAV86, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LAV86

LAV86 Two Bucket System Washer

HI I JUST GOT THE Menzerna Power Lock Sealant TODAY AND I WANTED TO KNOW HOW LONG SHOULD I LET IT SIT IN THE CAR B4 I WIPE IT OFF??????.....THIS IS MY 1ST TIME USING A SEALENT..

2. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Welcome to DB. If the product has hazed, wipe it off. Just like you would a wax. Also, you can turn the caps lock off.

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i've never used it so i can't really speak on that but when i apply a sealant i usually allow for it to sit on the vehicle for about 30 minutes while i touch up other areas of the vehicle and dress the tires etc. Gives the sealant a chance to really bond to the paint. I'm sure that others will have different opinions as well.

4. mx22

mx22 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

When I polished my car, I covered it with PL panel by panel and then went back to the first panel I did and started wiping it off. I think instructions say that it should haze before you remove; it was already hazed when I got back to the first panel...

P.S. PL is very "slick"; you will not be using much product at all. I think I used something like 1-2 pea drops for a panel. Instead of lugging the big bottle, I simply poured some PL into a small 2oz bottle - that should be more then enough for a few cars.

Cheers!

5. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

20-30minutes at least for me, your working condition will either have it set faster or slower.

After whatever time you think its hazed swipe a panel with your finger and if it comes off clean with no residue its good to buff off, if you have a tiny smear there than let it sit longer.

I like using 2 MF to buff it off, 1 to buff off the residual product and a second purely just to ensure no streaking with a follow up with using moderate pressure.

BTW using short nap smooth MF always work best for me as some of the fluffy heavy MF may not get all the product off the paint as easy

6. metajames

metajames Birth of a Detailer

I give it about 30 - 60 min if applied with PC. It really depends on how thick it went on. If applied by hand it will take longer to fully gas out and haze, unless your technique is REALLY good. Like DMS suggested just do a swipe test in the area you last applied the sealant.

if you are going to layer Powerlock wait a min of 3 hours between removal and the next layer. Menzerna recommends no more than 2 coats.

7. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Sealants are like waxes with regards to application and wipe off. The waiting time will vary depending on the temperature and humidity when you're working on the car. The best way to check if it's ready for removal is doing a finger swipe test. I think other people already talked about it but what you do is swipe your finger and check whether all the sealant's residue came off. If it did then it's ready for wipe off.

8. BobbyG

BobbyG Virgin Detailer

After applying a very thin coat according to the manufactures instructions, let it dry then buff. The photo below shows the typical finger test. If it's dry it should look like this after swiping it with your finger, note the lack of smearing..

[​IMG]

9. yyaman

yyaman Two Bucket System Washer

I did the whole car using the PC and let it stand for at least 45 minutes and then I buffed the whole car. Buffing it was very easy.