Menzerna Pads - Let me hear it

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by chefwong, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chefwong

chefwong Birth of a Detailer

For those using Menzerna pads....let me hear it. Comparative to 3M Blue finishing, LC White or Meg. Polishing Pad, etc, etc.

2. Nica

Nica Banned

Well I don't think there are too many members here that use the Menzerna pads :shead: I have a few for my self and I personally enjoy using them, much better then Lake Country. One thing about them they are nothing like any other foam pad available, they took me several attempts to get used to them, the foam is completely different then what's available in North America or any other kind of foam pads I've tried. They are extremely stiff and they do not let up no matter how much polish you apply to them. The stiffness is what took me several attempts to get used to them, I've noticed they perform quite well against hard clear coat.

I can't really compare them to any of my foam pads, depending on the vehicle will determine which foam pads I use. I still prefer the 3M UK foam pads, just love the feel of them. I still own and use from time to time the Meg's pads, great foam pads....in my opinion better then Lake Country..but that's just my opinion...I just wished they would make them smaller :shrug:

Well I hope this helps.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

These 5" Menzerna Polishing Pads- are approved for use on DuPont's SupraShield™, PPG's Optech™ and CeramiClear™ the new, Nanotechnology ceramic clear coats being used by Mercedes-Benz or other ‘hard’ clear coats; this means you get a pad that is guaranteed to finish with a brilliant high gloss and a pad that offers superior performance. They are extremely stiff and do not readily absorb polish so lubrication is always available, which is ideal for long working time abrasives.

(White) compounding pad - is very firm and has a aggressive cutting action which will remove even deep scratches and severe oxidisation. It is a very aggressive pad so you need to use this with caution and will likely need following up with the lighter polishing pad.

(Orange) polishing pad - used at OEM levels by many major automotive manufacturers offers a softer less dense structure over that of the compounding pad. What that means is you have a pad that has enough cut to remove surface oxidisation and swirls whilst at the same time allowing polishes to break down perfectly to a bright glossy finish. It is therefore the ideal pad for use with finishing polishes and one step products to remove less severe surface defects and restore amazing levels of clarity and gloss

4. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

sounds like the sonus pads. TOGWT?

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Sonus makes their own foam ? :giggle:

The features that distinguish quality foam pads; the use of various, engineered polyether polyurethane reticulated foams imported from Europe, that are specifically designed for machine compounding, polishing and buffing Engineered refers to various levels of abrasive ability or grit number rating. The vast majority of domestically produced foam is designed for air filtration, not machine polishing. Foams from third world countries that supply low cost foam cannot match the quality, performance and consistency of European specialty foams that are manufactured to ISO 9000 quality standards.

6. chefwong

while OT....who actually makes *foam* these days from a manuf level.....stateside.

3M, LC, AB (american buffing) --- granted there will be some import in all their lines.
    While now 3M, who made Edge's. And or -- SONUS pads, which is not all LC..is it. Their polishing pad felt different to me than LC white.

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The pads used at the OEM level worldwide (Audi, BMW, Daimler-Chrysler, Ford, GM, Porsche, VW, etc.) including those produced by 3M are all made from European foam (the majority is supplied by Reisgies Schaumstoffe, Global Minority Business Network (GMBN) Leverkusen , Germany)

In most cases, these foams are substantially more expensive than domestic foams due to currency fluctuations, ocean shipping, and customs duty and import tariffs. If you're looking at a modestly priced pad at your local auto parts or department store, it’s highly unlikely that they are made with quality European foam.

I cannot answer as to where each different US or EU mfg sources their foam

8. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

so the sonus and the menzerna are..........completely different?

So what other "high end" pads are there besides these menzerna's?

9. chefwong

I wouldn't call pads (high end) personally across any line. Design of the pad, velco, eased edges, etc . How well the velcro lasts, foam, etc. But once you find a pad that works...it's hard for me to be content and am always on the prowl for what's out there on the market and what applications they may be better for...that I don't have in my stash.

Pads IMO are subjective like wax...what works for you may not work for another...kinda like how one backing plate may transfer the *feel* though it differently than another backing plate....

10. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with this statement, I've tried a bunch of different foam pads and backing plates. I now have found what satisfies my need and pleasure so I'm sticking with them, I don't need to go and try anything else...but I'm sure in due time I'll want to try something new, it's always good to try something new. But if you've found a foam pad system that works for you use it and when your bored try something new.

11. billy

billy Obsessive Detailer

Nica;
    Lake Country does do pads like the megs in 6" with the ecxactly foam pad just different color
    i believe i still have a new set yellow,white and black if u want them just drop me a PM
    and their r urs :cheers:

12. Nica

Nica Banned

Really exactly as Meg's pads? I never liked the orange pad from LC, too stiff for me...oh but yet I use Menzerna pads which are stiff with out any issues :confused: go figure huh. There is something about the Menzerna pads that's different about it compared to LC orange...well that's just me.

I didn't know LC had the exact same foam as Meg's...can't say I've ever hear of them doing that...but it's been a wile since I even looked at my LC foam pads. Thank you for the offer my friend but I've got plenty of foam pads at the moment, maybe in the future :peace: