Menz options

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Carn, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Ok quick question for the Menzerna pro's on here.

Which of the following 2 options would be the best for all round usage on possibly both newer ceramic and hard clear paints as well as some of the older paints.

Option 1

106FF - 2.5cut & 5 gloss
    85RD - 1.5 cut & 5 gloss

Option 2

Micropolish 87MC - 1cut & 5 gloss
    Intensive polish 91E - 3.5cut and 3 gloss

Option 2 is available as a kit and is around $30 cheaper than Option 1 and also includes 2 16x16 MF cloths.

Would an 87MC and 106FF combo also be viable ?

:thud:

2. devast8

devast8 New Member

are you working with a rotary or a DA? if Rotary, then option 1, else I would say option 2

If it's for a white car (if it's the one in the av) then all you would need is 106FF (or FA, DD has some) imo. 106 finish almost perfect, you would only see the difference with 85RD on a dark color

I'm no expert like some here but that's my experience with Mez. Hope it help

3. jshillin

jshillin Birth of a Detailer

Neither, get SIP and either 106FF or PO85RD

4. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I agree.

The 106FF and 85RD are very similar.

5. euroslvt

euroslvt Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Sip = P085rd3.02?

6. Dave KG

Dave KG Jedi Nuba

The two Menzerna polishes I always recommend are PO85RD3.02 Intensive Polish and PO106FA Final Finish (or 106FF).

The latter is a very good all round light cutting polish - it can remove light to medium swirls on many paint types when used correctly as it has more cut than many give it credit for. On softer paints it can remove moderate marring. It also finishes down impeccably well, and on all but the softest of paint finishes there is no difference in outright gloss and clarity of finish between it and the lighter cutting PO85RD.

The PO85RD3.02 is the best of Menzerna's medium abrasives IMHO as it has the ability to remove more moderate marring from harder paint finishes while maintaining the ability to finish down very well - on medium and hard paints you'll be hard pressed to see a difference in the clarity of the finish between it and 106FF.

The reason I tend not to recommend 85RD is that it is more of a dedicated finishing polish - it will remove some light swirls, and perhaps a little heavier marks from soft paint types, but its only real benefit over the 106FF is that it will give slightly sharper clarity on very soft finishes - but that really is it. Well, it also offers very light cut if that is all that's needed... But in real world terms, the 106FF is a better all rounder and would get my vote.

7. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Question about 87MC:

For a new car, a little over a year old, no swirls or swirls that must really be searched for, and a medium color (mazda cosmic blue mica or lexus matador red mica), is PO87MC even necessary?

I have 106FA and am under the impression that I can just use it with a blue or black lc ccs pad to brighten up the paint. Or would you suggest I simply use something like KAIO/DWG/XMT360 on a white lc ccs pad?

TIA, trying to put together a bulk order for multiple cars and am trying my best not to purchase unnecessary items/products (something I'm EXTREMELY good at).

8. richy

richy Guest

I hear you on that!! I have Menz FPII, 106, 85rd, SIP, Micropolish...talk about redundant. The 106 is the most versatile product I think. SIP and 106 will do 99% of what you will need, IMO. If I'm doing black or a metallic, I'll follow 106 with RMG for a knockout shine.

9. MadOzodi

MadOzodi Nuba Guru

Ok, so I will do my best to refrain from purchasing 87MC. The MOOOOOOOOSE, huh? K, I'll check that out. Maybe I'll take a look at DWG too, since I've seen a bit of mention about it. Off to find that sealant over glaze post...

:thumb:

10. Lars

Lars Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I''ve had great results with using only 106ff on newer cars with very soft clearcoats and on new cars with very hard clearcoats. I'll echo David KG's suggestion on SIP and 106ff, those two have been all I've needed for almost all of the cars I've done until just recently.

11. Whip Appeal Neil

Whip Appeal Neil Jedi Nuba

niceeeeeeeee:applause2: